Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have identified a few houses I can rent in Hawthorn

Can a broadband connection be a bottleneck in any of the houses ?

Should I ask the agent any specific question about broadband connection availability or all houses are broadband ready ?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,683 Posts
I have identified a few houses I can rent in Hawthorn

Can a broadband connection be a bottleneck in any of the houses ?

Should I ask the agent any specific question about broadband connection availability or all houses are broadband ready ?

Cheers
It depends...there will be broadband internet but the type available may vary, even from house to house in the same suburb.

With ADSL speeds vary from about 4-20Mbps depending on the distance from the telephone exchange.

With Cable it can be from about 30-100Mbps depending on whether you pay extra and how congested the network is.

With the NBN (National Broadband Network), it can be (nominally anyway) 25, 50 or 100mbps at varying cost.

What you can get depends on where you live, as the NBN is still being rolled out.

At my house I have a phone landline connected, so I can get ADSL. I'm on the outer edge of the exchange and only get about 4Mbps. I also have a cable connection so I use that for the internet connection, that comes in 30 or 100Mbps - I get the 100mbps high speed version, and mostly get about 115Mpbs but it has slowed to maybe 35 when badly congested. That doesn't mean that it will be congested (or not) or available, where you are. :)

If I didn't have the cable option, and no phone line, I would have to arrange to have a phone line connected to use ADSL, or use wireless internet.

If you want to know what services might be available, you can use the Telstra page, here (check availability in your area): https://www.telstra.com.au/bundles?ti=TR:TR:Mar17:bestbundle:broadband:billboard

Of course you don't have to use Telstra, but the page will show you if you have a cable connection available (could also get ADSL) or just ADSL. Similarly, the NBN page here will show you if the house is connected to the NBN: Check your address | nbn - Australia's new broadband network

Of course there are wireless internet providers too. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts