Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am British Citizen born in UK and lived and worked there untill I married an Egyptian in June 2007.
My husband has a good job here in Egypt working for a Foreign airline as 'Station supervisor' in Alexandria airport so we decided that I would give up work and come here to him as he could support me.
My family all live in UK so I visit every 6 months for 4/8 weeks at a time.
We have a son who was born in UK November 2008 I returned with him to Egypt when he was 18 days old as my husband couldn't get a VISA
He got a 6 months Family visit Visa in October 2009 to visit our UK family
May 2010 he got a 5 year family visit visa which expires May 2015
My husband was offered a really good well paid job for a airline flying out of Heathrow this week but requirements are Residency Visa !! How can we change Family Visit Visa to a Visa which allows him to work and settle in UK and what documents needed and can this be done from here in Egypt
I own a property in UK which is been rented out so that is my only income ... I haven't needed to work for last 5 years as husband supports us all...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't get it - why was he offered the job if he didn't have the residency visa? Maybe they could help to facilitate a work visa for him? But the feeling I get is that they assumed that he had it as he is married to a uk citizen and also assumed that he would have a place to stay as it sounds they haven't offered him an expat package. Good luck anyway

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi rj.uk
It was offerrd by ex-collegue who works with Egyptian Company who needed and Egyptian living in UK/or could live in UK who was able to do the job so they didn't need to pay relocation fees etc !!!

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
I am British Citizen born in UK and lived and worked there untill I married an Egyptian in June 2007.
My husband has a good job here in Egypt working for a Foreign airline as 'Station supervisor' in Alexandria airport so we decided that I would give up work and come here to him as he could support me.
My family all live in UK so I visit every 6 months for 4/8 weeks at a time.
We have a son who was born in UK November 2008 I returned with him to Egypt when he was 18 days old as my husband couldn't get a VISA
He got a 6 months Family visit Visa in October 2009 to visit our UK family
May 2010 he got a 5 year family visit visa which expires May 2015
My husband was offered a really good well paid job for a airline flying out of Heathrow this week but requirements are Residency Visa !! How can we change Family Visit Visa to a Visa which allows him to work and settle in UK and what documents needed and can this be done from here in Egypt
I own a property in UK which is been rented out so that is my only income ... I haven't needed to work for last 5 years as husband supports us all...
There used to be a special visa for airline operational staff but they normally had to be resident abroad and only came to UK as a member of flight crew. If UK residence is a requirement, then he needs something like Tier 2 skilled worker visa or spouse visa if you are going to relocate (return) to UK with him. To qualify for Tier 2 visa, he has to be sponsored by his prospective employer, and they themselves must be a registered sponsor with Home Office. If, as you imply, the job requires a residency visa, it looks as though they want someone who already has residency in UK or doesn't require one. So spouse visa seems the only option. Until the new rules that may come in June, it's the total financial resources that will be looked at, including your income (such as rent from property), savings, your husband's prospective income and any savings he may have, plus help from UK residents such as your family. For a couple with a child, the required amount is £165.56 a week net after paying for housing (rent/mortgage and council tax).

When the new rules come in, it's rumoured the UK sponsor (you in this case) requires a UK gross income of £37,000 a year for a couple with one child. It's not yet known if other incomes or savings can be taken into account, or if the amount is lower when the child has British citizenship.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.