Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have two queries for British Expats living in Dubai and would really appreciate some advice. Information is always spread on several webpages and it's all a little confusing, consolidating it would be fantastic.

1) Some British expats in Dubai that I know have mentioned having a rebate on income tax paid from the start of the financial year to the time which they received their final teaching salary at the end of August. Could anybody advise me on how to request this? Is this something I can / need to arrange before I leave for Dubai?

2) In general, does anyone have any recommendations for private pension plans, particularly for teachers where the school or organisation they work for in Dubai does not provide one? I can't seem to find any advice and suggestions that are consistent in regards to reviews.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
End of tax year, do a SA100,SA106,SA109 declaration and submit to HMRC - thats the only way to get any money back. Its the standard self-assessment forms plus the foreign income pages and doing a P85 declaration of going overseas when you go (or retrospectively, helps)

Pensions - as Sir Reg says, take advice however I recall that you can continue to pay into an existing UK pension for five years after you leave, but you must have made payments before you leave. Once you are here, you cannot start a UK one, nor take out any ISA's.

And tax advice from someone in the UK, not from here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like SirReg says, everyone's circumstances are different, I didn't have to fill in any of those SA10x forms, just the P85 when I left in February and the tax rebate was autmoagically refunded into the bank. It was slow, took them 5 months to open the P85 letter but it was all automatic for me. But that's not to say it will be for you too.

And there's a million pension plans/ savings schemes depending on what you want to put in vs take out, what level of risk you're comfortable with. You will have to do your own research rather than stick with the usual sign on the dotted line standard company/ teacher scheme.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is really great advice, thank you. I've just been researching the P85 now and I think I'll get started on the process right away. As for pensions, I will do some research and investigations myself - may well look at what other people are doing.

Do any of you pay voluntary NI contributions? Is it worth doing? I read that you have to pay in 35 years worth of NI in order to qualify for state pension at retirement age.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the NI front it depends on you circumstances again.

Someone approaching retirement age will want to pay in to maintain their state pension and not have a shortfall.

Personally, I'm 35 and with at least another 35 years left until I can retire I'm not banking on there being a state pension at all when I retire so I'm not contributing. I'll make up any shortfall later in life if I'm lucky enough to see any remnants of what we now know as a state pension.

Bloody old people spending all the money!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I seriously doubt there will be a state pension in 35-40 years time, it'll all be means tested and if life goes the way I hope I'll be out of the bracket to qualify.

If it doesn't I'll have a private pension/ investments to draw on, or a huge hangover

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nikki, that's amazing advice, thank you! I've checked out the web link and it gives great advice - thanks so much :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts