Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All i am a british citizen born in pakistan i came over when i was 4 years old i have a dual nationality my wife is Pakistani and we just had a baby girl born in the uk. we would like to apply for her british passport i have been informed i need to prove how i attained british citizenship which i do not know myself what can i do as im sure the passport office just takes the british passport number also why do they need my wifes passport if the baby is british due to me?

im stuck as the passport office are now asking for my parents details who are british but i am not in touch with them

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi All i am a british citizen born in pakistan i came over when i was 4 years old i have a dual nationality my wife is Pakistani and we just had a baby girl born in the uk. we would like to apply for her british passport i have been informed i need to prove how i attained british citizenship which i do not know myself what can i do as im sure the passport office just takes the british passport number also why do they need my wifes passport if the baby is british due to me?

im stuck as the passport office are now asking for my parents details who are british but i am not in touch with them

Have you tried getting a 'Subject access request' from the passport office?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/subject-access-request-form

·
Registered
675 Posts
no i havent what is this form?

Once you fill in this form and return it to the passport office with the fee, the passport office is required to send you all the information it holds about you - you can ask them how you got your first British passport. The information may be able to help you in getting a British passport for your child.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you soo much. my sister got a passport for her daughter without any problems both her sitaution and mine was the same but they didnt ask her fir husbands details they didnt ask for my parents details. if i am british now and my daughter was born in the uk when i was british doesnt she qualify for a british passport automatically

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You can only be British if either of your parents is British otherwise than by descent, or you were registered as British if either parent is British by descent with strong connection with UK, such as having lived in UK for 3 years prior to your birth. So ask your parents.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi joppa my parents are both born in pakistan my mother is british due to her father who was a pakistan national who came to the uk for work then settled here when i came to the uk i had a british passport also I am a dual national i have been living here for 22 years i was not naturalised or recieved ceriftafe of registration. since i am british when my daughter was born doesnt that qualify for her to be brirish and entitled to a british passport? my sister was also born in pakistan so was her husband so me and my wife are in the same situation is it different if the mother is mot british? i thought as if one of tge child parents is british then she qualifys

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
You sound as though you are British by descent (born of British parents but born outside the UK - you were born in Pakistan). British by descent people cannot pass their British nationality onto their children automatically.

Therefore your daughter does not acquire British citizenship automatically even though she was born in the UK - being born in the UK does not give people British citizenship automatically either.

Hence why the authorities are asking for your parents citizenship documents.

Your sister (who sounds as though she too is British by descent) might be married to a Brit who is British otherwise than by descent - in which case THEIR children (through their father) would acquire British citizenship.

You can register your child for British citizenship.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my sister husband is not british he is Pakistani on a spouse visa. how do i register my child for british citizenship

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so as i posted it shows aslong as one the parents is british and the child is born in the uk then the child is automatically british therefore they do not need to register as british

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
so as i posted it shows aslong as one the parents is british and the child is born in the uk then the child is automatically british therefore they do not need to register as british

From what you have written YOU are British by descent (not born in the UK)

The website you have linked is for children whose parent are Brits born in the UK or naturalised in the UK.

You were born in Pakistan - at best you are British by descent and therefore your child is not automatically British.

The fact you are being asked to produce your parents documentation etc etc means the authorities do not believe you a British otherwise than by descent in order to pass on your citizenship to your child.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
For a child born in UK and overseas territory (Gibraltar, Falklands etc), how the parent obtained British citizenship doesn't matter. If you are British by descent, then your UK-born daughter is automatically British from birth, otherwise than by descent.
Only a child born outside of UK and overseas territory to a parent who is British by descent isn't automatically British. They may be registered as British under certain circumstances, such as the parent's prior UK residence.

From what you tell me, I'm still not sure why you are British. Your mother obtained British citizenship by descent from her father (your grandfather). But how did you derive your citizenship from her? A British citizen by descent cannot transmit citizenship to a child born outside UK. Was she in the military or UK diplomatic service?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
she was none of the above i was told i am a dual national. does my daughter qualify for a british passport

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@crawford i forgot to mention it only ask about grandparents in the passport application they havent specifically asked me. im just hearing different things my sister was in the same situation she applied for her daughter and she recieved the passport i have been living in the uk for 22 years now and at the time of my daughters birth i was a british citizen. being born on the uk whislt one of the parents is british automatically makes the child british otherwise by descent and they do not need to register the child as british

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
How did YOU get British passport? From your parent? Registration? Naturalisation?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.