Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a medical student in the UK interested in working in Paris when I graduate. My french is only intermediate, I was wondering, are there any positions for english speaking doctors in Paris where I might be able to work for a while until my french is good enough for a french speaking hospital?

Also, will I have to do a conversion test?

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
I am a medical student in the UK interested in working in Paris when I graduate. My french is only intermediate, I was wondering, are there any positions for english speaking doctors in Paris where I might be able to work for a while until my french is good enough for a french speaking hospital?

Also, will I have to do a conversion test?
The BMA has a section on their website about working in France:
France
In a highly regulated and regionalised country like France, I think it's quite tricky but doable. Good knowledge of French is essential. But you may be able to take up a short internship at a French hospital, perhaps through your medical school. There are also British and American (private) hospitals in Paris:
Institut Hospitalier Franco-Britannique
American Hospital of Paris: Welcome to the American Hospital of Paris
I'd have thought most positions for English-speaking doctors are for experienced, senior staff, not newly-qualified medics.

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
I see Joppa has already given you contact info for the American and British hospitals in Paris. From my experience, at least at the American Hospital, the staff there seem to be all fluent speakers of French. English is required, though I'm not aware of any English speakers without fluent French.

It may be the same for the British hospital. But check, too, on the EU portal site (EUROPA - The official website of the European Union) for information about reciprocity of medical qualifications. There used to be a section that described the reciprocity procedures in considerable detail, including the fact that those in the medical professions can be required to undergo a certain amount of additional training (in the local language) before being allowed to practice. It may well have changed, but I'd see what you can find on the EU pages.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I'm going to have to improve my french, and fast, if I want to do this.

Are there any formal qualifications in french that are needed? Is "fluency" required or just "working knowledge" does anyone know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.