Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
British investors buy Spain's €1bn Don Quixote airport for just £7,000

British investors buy Spain's €1bn Don Quixote airport for just £7,000 - Telegraph

The mind boggles.Could do with a few investors down on the Costa del Sol to buy up the hundreds and hundreds of derelict and half built properties that litter the costa.By the way before anybody wants to have a pop at me I don't believe everything in papers.Stopped buying them years ago but if there is any truth in this it just shows how desperate it is.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Hola

Actually they didn´t buy the airport! The Terminal building and car parking was not included - sounds like a rip-off to me

Davexf
Read beyond the headline and it states that...yes, it does indeed seem like a rip- off.
It would be encouraging if British or any nationality investors brought real moneyinto Spain and invested in the type of jobs that require skills and actually contribute to building an economy based on something more solid and beneficial to Spanish society rather than the narrow focus of the already overcrowded bar,restaurant and tourist sector with its longhours, low pay and high failure rate.

·
Administrator
36,521 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
In El País it just said a Chinese consortium called Tzaneen was buying it, no mention of British investment.
In truth in the global world it is very difficult to determine who the owners are and even more difficult as to what the intention is.

Remember red faces in the US when they attacked "British Pertroleum" (meaning BP ;)) only to find that the americans were the biggest share-holders :eek:

I suspect this isn't as simple as buying an airport or even part of it. After all an airport without planes and passengers is bu**er all use to anyone.

But if it creates even 20 jobs for a year or two all well and good.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Reuters refers to "a group of international investors" and says "The group of investors, dubbed Tzaneen International, said in a statement it intended to invest up to 100 million euros in developing the airport to make it a main entry point for Chinese companies to Europe."

The Guardian story linked to in xabiachica's post above says Tzaneen International is "a Chinese company set up in March with just €4,000 in capital".

The Times says the company was formed especially to make the bid, and describes the investors as Chinese.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Maybe the investors would also like to purchase Malaga airport's second runway and fire station - both are brand new and virtually unused:rofl: .

My impression is that there were many more part built buildings around the countryside at the end of the 90's than there are now? :typing:

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Maybe the investors would also like to purchase Malaga airport's second runway and fire station - both are brand new and virtually unused:rofl: .

My impression is that there were many more part built buildings around the countryside at the end of the 90's than there are now? :typing:
Yes there are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts