Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another glimpse at life on the CDS, this time from Al Jazeera reporter Laurence Lee.

"An immigrant is someone who takes, and an expat is someone who goes to somewhere else and gives a little bit back, is that what you mean?"

"None of these people would regard themselves as racist, rather their perceptions about immigration fall into a bucket of frustration and misplaced priorities - a sort of bilious rage that comes from reading too many British newspapers."

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Well if that is the Costa del Sol and the people that live there, thanks be to the gods that I do not, it is a great pleasure and privilege to be an immigrant at the edge of the planet on the island of El Hierro.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Having left UK 27 years ago and settled in Spain, and having brought my UK pensions here, and having never worked for any payment in Spain, I don’t think I am racist in saying that people like me have been and are an asset to Spain. We cannot be fairly compared with 'all immigrants' in the EU, who exercise their right of free movement but may not be able to contribute to the economy of their new country in the same way.

The immigration problem in UK , as I see it, is that UK cannot control who goes to live/work there as the number of EU citizens who take up their right to live in UK means that if UK is going to attempt to limit numbers, that can only be achieved by refusing people from elsewhere to be allowed to settle there. Thus, UK cannot choose to attract the skills which they may require if those skilled people are only avaible from outside the EU, Asia for an example. So if they need National Health Service staff, the UK cannot attract immigrates to fill those posts, as they did in the 1950’s when immigrants from the West Indies were welcomed to fill vacant jobs.

PS I do not read the English press as such, as seemed to be suggested by yet another biased news report to describe anyone who does not toe the Politically Correct line.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Well if that is the Costa del Sol and the people that live there, thanks be to the gods that I do not, it is a great pleasure and privilege to be an immigrant at the edge of the planet on the island of El Hierro.
Oh yes, Hepa, everyone of us living on the CdS is like that. Fat, tattooed, beer-swilling chav oiks, every last one of us. Thick, racist, homophobic, sexist.
Totally unlike you superior discerning types who choose to live in the 'real' Spain, of course.

And those of us who aren't like that are criminals on the run from the long arm of the law. Or tarts. Or drug dealers. Or layabouts. We all read The Daily Mail, eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, smoke B and H....

To preserve your purity, never, I repeat never, set foot on the CdS. Or the Costa Blanca. Or the Costa Brava. :rolleyes:

I actually think it is a great privilege to live on the CdS alongside my Spanish neighbours and immigrant friends, sheltered from prejudiced narrow-minded judgmental types who think Spain starts and ends at their gate post.

Jesus wept.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Another glimpse at life on the CDS, this time from Al Jazeera reporter Laurence Lee.

"An immigrant is someone who takes, and an expat is someone who goes to somewhere else and gives a little bit back, is that what you mean?"

"None of these people would regard themselves as racist, rather their perceptions about immigration fall into a bucket of frustration and misplaced priorities - a sort of bilious rage that comes from reading too many British newspapers."

British expats slam UK's immigration policies in election run-up - YouTube
What a load of nonsense. I watched that clip twice to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Two people - yes, TWO PEOPLE, Hepa - were featured, neither of whom made anything that could be remotely construed as a racist, anti-immigrant comment.
The voice over comments were the usual sneering, snide digs at the vulgar types who dare go to live in that part of Spain with fellow immigrants and not to some cave in the campo.
Where, I wonder, did he get his evidence for his statements about British immigrants' attitudes to immigrants to the UK? Or their views about the UK? Or their voting intentions, come to that? And so what if most of them would vote Conservative? Is it a crime?

I am sick and tired of these oh-so-superior little digs at people whose only crime seems to be to have emigrated to Spain and remained British. That is a form of racism.
I cannot see why you felt the need to post that sad little clip, maybe just to remind us what a load of patronising oiks there are about these days.

Perhaps that smug ******* of a reporter should make a clip about the chavs who go to Sarfend for their holidays. Or Blackpool. Or those who prefer Benidorm to Burgos.

I suppose I should have had an inkling of this kind of prejudice when I saw the reaction of some of my well-off very left-wing friends when I said I was going to move from Prague to the CdS. Raised eyebrows.
Prague, OK. Cd S very not 'our type of place'.
Bigots and snobs.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot see why you felt the need to post that sad little clip, maybe just to remind us what a load of patronising oiks there are about these days.
That was one reason, yes. But mainly to see if anyone on this forum agrees with the sentiments expressed, i.e. that immigrants "take", and expats "give".

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
That was one reason, yes. But mainly to see if anyone on this forum agrees with the sentiments expressed, i.e. that immigrants "take", and expats "give".
Do you really think anyone on this Forum might think that? Or if they did, that they would say so when they can almost 100% guarantee a deluge of criticism from people like you and me?:)

And does it matter what such pillocks think? Is it 'racist' to say or think something like that?

No, that was a nasty, spiteful piece of 'reporting' based on seemingly nothing but the sneering reporter's own opinions.
Far too much of that kind of thing.
Next it'll be a crime against good taste to vote Tory if you live on the CdS or anywhere in Spain.

Mind you...;)

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you really think anyone on this Forum might think that? Or if they did, that they would say so when they can almost 100% guarantee a deluge of criticism from people like you and me?:)

And does it matter what such pillocks think? Is it 'racist' to say or think something like that?

No, that was a nasty, spiteful piece of 'reporting' based on seemingly nothing but the sneering reporter's own opinions.
Far too much of that kind of thing.
Next it'll be a crime against good taste to vote Tory if you live on the CdS or anywhere in Spain.

Mind you...;)
I'm pretty sure there are people on EF who, like the first guy interviewed, think they are a "better class of immigrant" than, say, Romanians looking for work in England. There have been some fairly indicative posts recently! But they will never admit it now.

As for whether these views are more prevalent on the CDS than in other parts of Spain, we'll never know, because these reporters never seem to look anywhere else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bet they're mostly readers of the Daily Mail or The Sun! The same folk who currently think that the Scots are just out to rob the English as there's a sniff that we actually might have some input in parliament for once...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Am not Scottish Steve but agree with you entirely.

Its cringeworthy listening to the bleating and complaining about the Scottish people making their democratic choice- just because it doesn't suit the chinless wonders down South

Last year they were smoozing the Scots wanting them to stay- now they're the devil incarnate for voting freely!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Am not Scottish Steve but agree with you entirely.

Its cringeworthy listening to the bleating and complaining about the Scottish people making their democratic choice- just because it doesn't suit the chinless wonders down South

Last year they were smoozing the Scots wanting them to stay- now they're the devil incarnate for voting freely!!!
Well said that man, and I'm not a scot either !! Is this a case of '' we want democracy but only when it suits us '' I wonder !!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
When, in fact, as far as Spain is concerned it is the other way around. Immigrants put in, fit in and generally add to the Spanish culture whereas expats are only here until their beer is finished then they want to go back home and use the NHS or draw whatever benefits they can wangle such as disability benefits when the previous week they were as fit as a fiddle on the CdS.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
When, in fact, as far as Spain is concerned it is the other way around. Immigrants put in, fit in and generally add to the Spanish culture whereas expats are only here until their beer is finished then they want to go back home and use the NHS or draw whatever benefits they can wangle such as disability benefits when the previous week they were as fit as a fiddle on the CdS.
Only on the C d S, though, Baldy;)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are people on EF who, like the first guy interviewed, think they are a "better class of immigrant" than, say, Romanians looking for work in England. There have been some fairly indicative posts recently! But they will never admit it now.

As for whether these views are more prevalent on the CDS than in other parts of Spain, we'll never know, because these reporters never seem to look anywhere else.
Well, I have to agree that there are British immigrants who display the usual prejudices of the bigoted and ignorant
But the only bigoted and prejudiced person on that clip was the reporter who made staggering assertions without a shred of evidence to back up his claims.

Mind you, a couple of us regular posters could point him in the right direction;)

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
We've discussed 'immigrant' v 'expat' many times and there are good, although admittedly debatable, reasons for those labels. These reasons do not include what you describe above.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
We've discussed 'immigrant' v 'expat' many times and there are good, although admittedly debatable, reasons for those labels. These reasons do not include what you describe above.
There is a lot of old- fashioned snobbery and implied superiority in that odious little video clip.
The Costas are, of course, for the proles. You know, those sun- burnt, tattooed, Union Jack- wearing, burger eating chavs who-'shock horror-'. come to Spain to lie in the sun on the beach.
Don't they know what they are missing, these uncultured oiks? Why aren't they spending their two week break from their factories and offices exploring the flora and fauna of some remote inland nature reserve, visiting architectural treasures, bird- watching or some other refined and culturally approved pursuit? And they seem to enjoy living in, yes, ghettos, with their fellow Brits in those ghastly urbs....
Shouldn't be allowed.

This kind of assumed but false ' superiority' is by no means confined to the 'wrong kind' of Brits in Spain. Deploring the vulgarity of the working classes is as common on theLeft as the Right. The clothes, leisure habits, food choices,the names they give their children, even the cars they drive....all to be mocked and judged by those who think they know better.
It's easy to do, I've been guilty, I know. But it could well be nothing more than a kind of insecurity with life which shows itself in a need to be ' better' than others in some way. If you're comfortable with your own life, you aren't upset by the different choices of others, as you learn with age and/or maturity.

Which is perhaps why some believe that expats play golf, immigrants clean the clubhouse loos.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Bet they're mostly readers of the Daily Mail or The Sun! The same folk who currently think that the Scots are just out to rob the English as there's a sniff that we actually might have some input in parliament for once...

9,1% of all Uk parliamentary MP's represent Scotland. That's without the escapee's, Blair ,Brown ;Cameron, et al.

In total 85 MP's,13,1%,can be considered to be Scottish . 52 represent Scottish constituencies the rest are in the main parties & represent seats in England.

So you've got too much influence as it is & they should all be shot along with most of the others. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts