Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to be applying for ILR via SET(M) soon and am researching the possibility of taking on British citizenship - if anyone has any experience with holding a British Citizenship where their home country does not permit dual-citizenship?

I'm aware the only issue is when you return to your home country for a visit. I fully understand the concept of entering your home country with your home passport, but the tricky part is if you hold a British passport, you won't then have a biometric residence permit which most airlines now require (in Asia anyway) to ensure you're not trying to fly over to Europe with the intention of staying illegally for work etc.

Just exploring options here even if it might sound daft! Anyone have any experience with this?

-Is there a way to have something that states the ILR status without declaring the British citizenship side?

-or if caught, can you denounce the british citizenship / downgrade to ILR status?

-anyone been caught?

It would be alot easier to apply for British citizenship (travel / work wise) since my intention is already to live here permanently but ultimately, my closest family still live at home and the fear of being caught and stripped off my citizenship of my home country.

The dilemma is this - if family member has long term illness and I have to return home for a long-ish period (say 2.5years) my ILR will be invalid (if I understand this correctly). The win-win situation is to have a British Citizenship without getting caught out at home so I'm able to stay at my home country without issues and return to UK without any issues as well.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just exploring options here even if it might sound daft! Anyone have any experience with this?

-Is there a way to have something that states the ILR status without declaring the British citizenship side?

-or if caught, can you denounce the british citizenship / downgrade to ILR status?

-anyone been caught?

It would be alot easier to apply for British citizenship (travel / work wise) since my intention is already to live here permanently but ultimately, my closest family still live at home and the fear of being caught and stripped off my citizenship of my home country.

The dilemma is this - if family member has long term illness and I have to return home for a long-ish period (say 2.5years) my ILR will be invalid (if I understand this correctly). The win-win situation is to have a British Citizenship without getting caught out at home so I'm able to stay at my home country without issues and return to UK without any issues as well.
Are you trying to do a Boris Johnson - have your cake and eat it?

You can apply for British Citizenship and once granted, instead of getting a British Citizen passport, you can get a Certificate of Entitlement to be put onto your Indonesian passport. You can use the EEA passport desks at the UK Border, but you are not likely to get the visa free access to overseas countries that a British Citizens passport holder gets.

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply-for-a-certificate-of-entitlement

You cannot give up British Citizenship on-the-spot, there is an application process.

https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
I don't believe the UK has any problem with dual nationality - but you may very well have to check with your "home" government immigration service to find out their take on whether or not you can return for an extended time once you've taken a second nationality.

I know here in France we have a number of Chinese people who will not consider taking French nationality because they would have to give up their Chinese one - and that means they would need a visa to visit back in China. (Or so they tell me - I've never particularly checked it out.) As I understand it, China can be quite "difficult" about granting a visa to a "former" citizen.

A country like Germany, OTOH, will pretty much just subject an ex-citizen to whatever the visa requirements are for someone from their "new" country.

You may have to consult the website of your local Indonesian consulate - or possibly post something in the Other Asia section of the forum here to see if you can find someone from Indonesia who has successfully resolved this issue. Other Asia - Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know here in France we have a number of Chinese people who will not consider taking French nationality because they would have to give up their Chinese one - and that means they would need a visa to visit back in China. (Or so they tell me - I've never particularly checked it out.) As I understand it, China can be quite "difficult" about granting a visa to a "former" citizen.
That is correct - Chinese people who gave up their Chinese nationality will also lost their household registration status and ID cards in China. This will make things difficult for them - for example you need your ID card to buy train tickets in China.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Yes I can understand your dilemma. The only possible option is to get Right of Abode endorsement in your passport without taking out British passport following naturalisation, but beware. Some countries regard naturalisation itself as leading to cancellation of your original nationality even if you don't get British passport. So consult an immigration lawyer in your home country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I can understand your dilemma. The only possible option is to get Right of Abode endorsement in your passport without taking out British passport following naturalisation, but beware. Some countries regard naturalisation itself as leading to cancellation of your original nationality even if you don't get British passport. So consult an immigration lawyer in your home country.
Thanks Joppa...I'll have to look into this option as I had always thought Right of Abode only applies to those have some family lineage linking them back to the UK. Food for thought..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The access and freedom wouldn't be too much of a compromise, I don't think anyway. At least there's some option available but I think this is a tricky one. I mean, there are lots of Indonesians in Australia too so there's probably some who have taken up citizenship. Although it's not strict / they don't really check your passports but you never know if one day they're motivated to check and everyone will be doomed!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Your best bet is to find out what provisions there are for ex Indonesian citizens, who want to return to live in Indonesia for x amount of time.

For instance, India gives former citizens a special card called- Overseas Citizen of India card.

This card basically affords us the exact same rights as an Indian citizen, with the exception of right to vote, right to join the army or civil services and finally right to own farming land.

All the best.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with this predicament as my husband and I are a few years behind you on the FLR(M) route but are concerned about this too.

My husband has friends in Australia who've taken Australian citizenship, I can't remember how they got around this issue, maybe something to do with travelling through Singapore.

He seems to think that there may be a similar option to the Indian Over Seas card for Indonesian citizens but I can't remember, I'll have to ask him later.
(He also seems to think you can't inherit if you give up citizenship but i can't remember the details of that either)

We'd be holding out on him getting citizenship until we had children as we'd like to give them the option of dual citizenship (at least until 18 I think)

We also were hoping to at some point spend about a year living in Indonesia so our future children could spend time with their family there and experience life in Indonesia. But this seems impossible without my husband having dual nationality. He'd be risking his ILR for that length of time & yet I don't think we could stay in Indonesia that long easily if he wasn't an Indonesian citizen.

Anyway, it's just a shame really, to have to give one up.
Hope you manage to sort something out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with this predicament as my husband and I are a few years behind you on the FLR(M) route but are concerned about this too.

My husband has friends in Australia who've taken Australian citizenship, I can't remember how they got around this issue, maybe something to do with travelling through Singapore.

He seems to think that there may be a similar option to the Indian Over Seas card for Indonesian citizens but I can't remember, I'll have to ask him later.
(He also seems to think you can't inherit if you give up citizenship but i can't remember the details of that either)

We'd be holding out on him getting citizenship until we had children as we'd like to give them the option of dual citizenship (at least until 18 I think)

We also were hoping to at some point spend about a year living in Indonesia so our future children could spend time with their family there and experience life in Indonesia. But this seems impossible without my husband having dual nationality. He'd be risking his ILR for that length of time & yet I don't think we could stay in Indonesia that long easily if he wasn't an Indonesian citizen.

Anyway, it's just a shame really, to have to give one up.
Hope you manage to sort something out.

Thanks. Yes, it's definitely a tricky one here and sounds like you might have a similar predicament. I heard of people taking up dual-citizenship without declaring and as long as you transit in another country prior to that then it's fine. It's a problem if and when they do check or ask for a valid visa to travel to UK that will be a problem. I suspect travelling with a Brit and not having a biometric residence permit for the UK will definitely trigger some suspicions with the immigration officer. Can't quite say you're just 'visiting UK' by then...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your best bet is to find out what provisions there are for ex Indonesian citizens, who want to return to live in Indonesia for x amount of time.

For instance, India gives former citizens a special card called- Overseas Citizen of India card.

This card basically affords us the exact same rights as an Indian citizen, with the exception of right to vote, right to join the army or civil services and finally right to own farming land.

All the best.
Thanks...will have to research if this is an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.