Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

541 - 551 of 551 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
It may not be now, but once you reach retirement age, if you cannot get an S1 from the UK because you were not already registered as a resident in Spain by 31 December 2020, the cost of private health insurance will increase greatly. Even if you access public healthcare by paying into the Convenio, the cost increases from €60 per month for someone aged 65 to €157 per month for someone aged 65 or over - and as xabiachica said earlier, in addition you'd have to pay 100% of the costs of any medication you'd need, whereas with the S1 you qualify to pay only 10% when you become a pensioner (and that's capped at €8 per month for those whose income is below €18k per year or €18 per month for incomes between €18-100k.

It's a real Catch-22 situation for you, unfortunately. I really wouldn't recommend anyone to reduce their earnings so drastically in the years leading up to their retirement unless they had enough of a financial cushion to cover the shortfall, and you have to think beyond your retirement date to make sure your income in retirement would be at least adequate.
Thanks. So S1 is continuing to be issued when people reach retirement age? But only to those who were present in EU before Dec 2020, right?

On another note, does anyone know whether the pension updating arrangement (which again only seems to apply for those present in EU before Dec 2020) will continue to apply if one later moves to another EU country?

·
Registered
38,902 Posts
Thanks. So S1 is continuing to be issued when people reach retirement age? But only to those who were present in EU before Dec 2020, right?
Yes and yes (in a specific EU country).

On another note, does anyone know whether the pension updating arrangement (which again only seems to apply for those present in EU before Dec 2020) will continue to apply if one later moves to another EU country?
No, only while you remain a Spanish resident. All this is subject to ongoing negotiation with EU, but if no further agreement is reached, the status quo will remain.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,664 Posts
Yes and yes (in a specific EU country).

No, only while you remain a Spanish resident. All this is subject to ongoing negotiation with EU, but if no further agreement is reached, the status quo will remain.
Sorry OP jumping in your thread

So, for those under retirement age BUT who are now Legally resident in Spain, will receive S1 cover when they retire?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Thank you all for the really useful replies.

I wouldn't mind so much about the miserable pay if I could muster any enthusiasm whatsoever for the work itself! And I'm trying to calculate how working another 4 years or so here would affect my finances - esp given the fairly high probability of 20K redundancy money during those 4 years.

So am I right in summing up these as the advantages of moving this year?

1. guaranteed long-term status with guaranteed route to citizenship in due course

2. right to work in future if needs be

3. inflation-proofing of UK pension

Health insurance not really an issue as I'm going to have to pay for private anyway.
The route to citizenship is by no means guaranteed as I know several British Expats who moved to Spain some years
ago and still cannot get to grips with the Spanish lingo - a couple of them tried for Spanish citizenship and failed
miserably on the language test.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You are 56 and thinking of 10 years doing a job that you admit you dont feel that enthusiastic about for a wage that is 25 % below what you already earn. You have a possibility of a 20 k redundancy package. Think about it. That's 20k in the bank. You have no chance of saving anything in Spain. With 20k you could easily stay 3 months a year in Spain enjoying different parts and living in different areas. Plus you have healthcare in the UK where you will feel comfortable with the language. In Spain you are just going to get worked to the bone just to pay your bills. Also maybe you will inherit something in the future in the UK. If you are resident in spain you will be taxed in UK and Spain. Not great if you wish to be able to retire and enjoy a bit of life instead of just survive.
Thanks. I can see where you're coming from, but I hate what Britain has become and just want out for good. I don't want to have to buy a house in the UK - which will mean selling the one I have and plan to rent out, which will probably amount to at least half my income - when I just don't want to be here at all!
I understand what you think but I believe you are subject to a psychological mind game. There is nothing substantially different in the UK than 30 years ago. Sure , it seems bad depending on your political stance but that has and will always be the case. I think the press in the uk has turned all news into a form of entertainment so horror stories and exaggeration are the norm. Expats often say that things are better in Spain but that is because they probably understand 1 % of what is really happening . Politically, at the moment, Spain has a left wing government after years of a terribly corrupt nepotistic right wing government. But it is unlikely that the present government will survive a full term as it relies on a constantly shifting coalition. Meanwhile in the wings there is a seriously worrying ultra- right gearing up for a fight. Add in chronic unemployment which is only going to get worse and a staggering state debt and things are probably much worse than the uk. If you choose to integrate into spain then you might, like many young Spanish, end up dreaming of a life in UK or Australia.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,664 Posts
Yes they will, provided they were registered as residents in Spain by 31 December 2020.
Thanks Lynn that’s great, I thought it was the case but I lost track of Brexit somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
I understand what you think but I believe you are subject to a psychological mind game. There is nothing substantially different in the UK than 30 years ago. Sure , it seems bad depending on your political stance but that has and will always be the case. I think the press in the uk has turned all news into a form of entertainment so horror stories and exaggeration are the norm. Expats often say that things are better in Spain but that is because they probably understand 1 % of what is really happening . Politically, at the moment, Spain has a left wing government after years of a terribly corrupt nepotistic right wing government. But it is unlikely that the present government will survive a full term as it relies on a constantly shifting coalition. Meanwhile in the wings there is a seriously worrying ultra- right gearing up for a fight. Add in chronic unemployment which is only going to get worse and a staggering state debt and things are probably much worse than the uk. If you choose to integrate into spain then you might, like many young Spanish, end up dreaming of a life in UK or Australia.
Suiko would be able to return to the UK, OTOH she, like many young Spanish, might as well forget about a move to Australia, in fact for her it would be impossible because of her age.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
No issues there, at least - I'm pretty much bilingual.
If you are bilingual why are you limiting yourself to English teaching ? There are plenty of better paid jobs if you are bilingual. My ex was offered a job when we went as clients to a lawyer. They started her immediately on everything from reception, translations, interpreting. She earns double the salary of a full time teacher

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
If you are bilingual why are you limiting yourself to English teaching ? There are plenty of better paid jobs if you are bilingual. My ex was offered a job when we went as clients to a lawyer. They started her immediately on everything from reception, translations, interpreting. She earns double the salary of a full time teacher
Well suiko had not yet arrived in Spain. Perhaps she will find something similar after she arrives.

541 - 551 of 551 Posts