Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

British citizen, awaiting Canadian citizenship test

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  marko2 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm getting ready to move from Canada [back] to the UK. I've had some help here recently with my application but I've hit a hurdle and wondering if anyone knows anything about this...

I am a British Citizen. I'm a Permanant Resident in Canada. I've made an application to become a Canadian Citizen (dual nationality). I've sent the application in, I had an acknowledgement that they have recieved it, got my receipt for payment, been sent the revision booklet. I'm waiting for the date of my citizenship test (the final stage - hopefully).

Now just to make things complicated I am making plans to move back to the UK and was hoping that the citizenship test would all be over by then. My planned schedule for moving is the begining of July, this year.

I've just found out today that I should expect my citizenship test to be January 2013!!!

That wasn't part of the plan. ...and I don't want to change the plan.

So, it appears that I have limited options and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

---- I could postpone my move date (last resort)

---- I could cancel my Canadian citizenship application (a lot of time and money has gone into this)

---- could I go [to the UK] and fly back when my test is scheduled? (expensive, but might be worth it if I'm allowed to do it)

---- could I take a Candian citizenship test in the UK at something like a Canadian embassy or similar? (fingers crossed for this one)

Clearly I can see, as many of you will no doubt also see, that to move my travel date is the simplest and perhaps the most logical thing to do, however the July timing is more than just a whim. It is the earliest we can do while being conscious of the kids schooling and the latest we want to wait because one of the driving factors of this move is that my dad is ill and I am hoping to go and look after him.

So does anyone know if I can take a Canadian citizenship test outside of Canada? Or am I permitted to leave Canada for a period of time (since I've already met the minimum residence requirement at the time of the application) and return for a test in Toronto (or anywhere)?

As always, grateful for all helpful advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
For something as important as naturalisation and citizenship, into which you have invested a lot if efforts and money, you should contact relevant Canadian authorities and get definitive answers. While meaning well, don't rely on other people's anecdotal evidence - their circumstances may be different and you don't want to jeopardise your chances.

If you were applying for UK naturalisation, you could leave UK while your application was being considered but Canada may have different rules.

#5 ·
I don't think they'll let you pass the test in an embassy. That's almost for sure. But I do think you are allowed to leave the country until your test, if you follow the residency rules (stay in Canada for 3 years out of 5 or something like that as a permanent resident). Double check with CIC of course. Then flying back should be worth it if moving back to the UK is a priority for you right now. Don't give up on Canadian citizenship, it's a really good thing to have! If you need help preparing for your test, I highly recommend citizenshipsupport.ca/canadian-citizenship-test. Anyway, good luck with your move and with your test!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.