Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was with a friend this morning, helping him move. We were in his british registered RHD car/4x4/heap lol!!, The Guardia were doing road checks and we were stopped and a lot of questions were asked as to why we were in a non matriculated vehicle, how long had the owner been here, how long was he staying...... Heck, I was just the passenger and they wanted to see my drivers licence, they even wanted to know my parents names !!???!!!

Anyway, I was chatting to some friends later and apparently theres a big push at the mo to catch and prosecute anyone who is driving a British car who shouldnt be. So be warned!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
843 Posts
I was with a friend this morning, helping him move. We were in his british registered RHD car/4x4/heap lol!!, The Guardia were doing road checks and we were stopped and a lot of questions were asked as to why we were in a non matriculated vehicle, how long had the owner been here, how long was he staying...... Heck, I was just the passenger and they wanted to see my drivers licence, they even wanted to know my parents names !!???!!!

Anyway, I was chatting to some friends later and apparently theres a big push at the mo to catch and prosecute anyone who is driving a British car who shouldnt be. So be warned!!

Jo xxxx
Yes, I saw a british plated 4x4 stopped by the police at the roundabout leading off the A7 at Mijas this afternoon on my way back from school. I have also heard anecdotally that the police stop more cars at the end of the week to fill quotas. Don't know how true that is??? Is it my imagination, or do there seem to be loads more british plated cars on the road at the moment?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I saw a british plated 4x4 stopped by the police at the roundabout leading off the A7 at Mijas this afternoon on my way back from school. I have also heard anecdotally that the police stop more cars at the end of the week to fill quotas. Don't know how true that is??? Is it my imagination, or do there seem to be loads more british plated cars on the road at the moment?
There seem to be a alot. Once upon a time the guardia actually found the paperwork too much effort if they stopped a Brit car, but this time round they dont seem to be bothered and are coming down hard !!??

Jo xxx

·
Registered
43 Posts
OI less of the Heap! Its a safe reliable car......
Glad you were there to dazzle him with your charm as my poor spanish (well actual total lack of ability to speak it) would have coaused me problems....

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and its getting matriculated now - too much hassle staying on UK plates and having that everytime theres a purge.
Good!!! You're ok at the mo you havent been here long, but it could have been worse if they thought you were a permenant resident !!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I haven't matriculated my BMW and don't intend to, it's in my daughter-in-law's name and has a year's MOT, fully insured. She is UK-based.
Whenever I talk to people about any possible problems they tell me not to bother, citing people who have vdriven RHD and LHD British plated cars for decades. I don't think I've seen a single UK plated car with a valid tax disc round here and I've seen loads.
I would have thought that a LHD UK plated car would be a real giveaway that the owner is Spain -based whereas RHD could more probably signal someone on holiday?
Are the Guardia stopping German, French, Dutch etc. plated cars too, I wonder?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't matriculated my BMW and don't intend to, it's in my daughter-in-law's name and has a year's MOT, fully insured. She is UK-based.
Whenever I talk to people about any possible problems they tell me not to bother, citing people who have vdriven RHD and LHD British plated cars for decades. I don't think I've seen a single UK plated car with a valid tax disc round here and I've seen loads.
I would have thought that a LHD UK plated car would be a real giveaway that the owner is Spain -based whereas RHD could more probably signal someone on holiday?
Just you be careful. If its not legal in anyway, they'll "have" you!!!!!! The mood of apathy seems to have changed !!!!!!!! ......... and be careful on these dreadful spanish roads! Those speedbumps could be lethal on a prestige car!!!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Just you be careful. If its not legal in anyway, they'll "have" you!!!!!! The mood of apathy seems to have changed !!!!!!!! ......... and be careful on these dreadful spanish roads! Those speedbumps could be lethal on a prestige car!!!!!

Jo xxxx

Well, it may have been a prestige car once but like me it's seen better days..;)
Your warning has made me think tho'..Wonder if I could do a swap with someone who has a Spanish plated car and would like to drive back to the UK.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The problem comes, with an untaxed car, if you are in an accident and God forbid someone is injured or killed. The policeman on the roadside might not know what is necessary on a car from another country but the lawyers are right on the ball. If it's got no tax or mot then it has no insurance,if it has tax insurnce and mot and you have an UK licence but no Spanish medical certificate to back it up your still illegal. If you are in an accident where someone is injured or killed & you're deemed to have no ins. etc, then the whole bill for compensation will be your responsibility. They'll embargo the house & bank accounts if you dont pay & it can run into 100's of 1000's of euros. Round here & up to Alicante if you are stopped and don't have tax/mot it's straight on a low loader and to the pound until you can produce paperwork to show you are re-registering. This is also the reason that they introduced a 12% import tax, in 2007, for people who were stopped and had been living here more than 6mths without re-registering their cars.In addition if you are stopped for driving a foreign reg. car with incorrct documentation you will also be prosecuted for driving a foreign reg. vehicle whilst being a resident of Spain. No Spanish citizen or foreigner with 'residencia' is allowed to drive a foreign reg. vehicle, except professional drivers who work for foreign companys. This is the law in the UK as well now. Remember also that the onus is on you to prove that the vehicle has not been here more than 6 mths. & not on the police to prove that it has.
another point worth noting is that 1 or 2 Spanish ins. cos. who insure UK plated vehicles, like Mapfre & Liberty Seguros notify the DVLA on Tues. & Fridays of any UK reg. vehicle that they have insured . This is so that if you travel to the UK & are stopped by the police ,your details will be in the system. Not something you want if you've declared it SORN in the UK is it ?
Yes , they do stop french,dutch, german, ( round here anyway).The French don't have a problem as the Spanish ITV is legal for a French reg. vehicle.( That's what it says on the office window at my ITV station & also my neighbours french reg. van hasn't seen France for 30 yrs! & is ITV'd every 6 mths.) but not for UK or germany. Don't know about the Dutch.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
in . If it's got no tax or mot then it has no insurance,

That is true only insofar as the MOT -no MOT then no insurance. It is not the case if you have no Road Tax.
This concerned me when I was living in Prague and I obtained a letter from my insurance company, Stuart Collins, stating that if my UK Road Tax lapsed I would still be insured under their European 365 days a year policy..
As for Liberty Seguros et al informing the DVLA - UK police cars are able to identify your vehicle's full details - insurance, MOT, logbook etc. via the national database - so I would have thought this rather superfluous.
If your vehicle is SORNed and you wish to drive it to the UK all you need to do is book an MOT test ahead of your journey and have proof that you have done so.
My MOT is valid until July this year so ifr I wish I can renew my Road Tax right up to the week of the expiry date.
I'm frankly amazed at the enormous number of UK plated tax-free LHD and RHD cars around here. They come in all sorts from little SEATs to top-of-the-range Mercs, BMWs and 4x4s.
I asked a friend about the risks of driving such a vehicle and she told me that 'Old Bert' has been dfriving his UK plated RHD car for over twenty years -no problems. Another friend drives a new UK plated LHD Jeep -no tax and seemingly no problems. So far, at least.
My BMW has been here since late July and I don't think I'll bother putting in on Spanish plates but I'll renew the tax before the MOT expires and take the vehicle for an itv to ensure its roadworthy.
If I get stopped by the Guardia, they can take the car.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
This concerned me when I was living in Prague and I obtained a letter from my insurance company, Stuart Collins, stating that if my UK Road Tax lapsed I would still be insured under their European 365 days a year policy..
Most co's won't. No tax, no mot = no ins. The law is it has to be fully legal in the country of registration.

As for Liberty Seguros et al informing the DVLA - UK police cars are able to identify your vehicle's full details - insurance, MOT, logbook etc. via the national database - so I would have thought this rather superfluous.

Police in the UK only have access to UK ins. co. details. If you are driving a Uk reg. car that is insured in Spain ,it will be flagged up by APNR as having no ins. to the police in the UK. The onus is then on you, at the side of the road, to hope that they can read your ins. document.

If your vehicle is SORNed and you wish to drive it to the UK all you need to do is book an MOT test ahead of your journey and have proof that you have done so.

Do not believe any one who tells you this . Years ago you could get away with it but the only legal reasons you can be on the road without an Mot ,in the UK,is if you are returning to the test centre for re-testing after a failure, or after a SORN to a booked appointment. SORN means ,off road , in the UK. You cannot SORN outside of the UK. See here; When to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) : Directgov - Motoring

Yes, many people have been doing it for years but it's only when the accident happens and it ends up in court that the realisation that the house could be lost, dawns. To me the risk is not worth it.

One thing that has been doing the rounds recently, is the possibility that they are going to bring in a law banning the re- registering of RHD cars on safety grounds the same as they have for not re-registeringRHD lorries & vans.I have actually seen re-reg. RHD vans on sale ( around Alicante ) , God knows what would happn if you were in an accident in one of them. They'd probably just turn round and say it shouldn't have been re-reg. and cancel it leaving you to carry the blame.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
And this makes things right???? :confused:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Back to our incident. They werent just stopping British cars altho I've no doubt thats why we were pulled in. They were stopping allsorts. There was a Spanish (??) van infront driven by a young lady who they appeared to give a ticket to (she didnt look pleased). And a guy in a blue car behind us - who wasnt in a RHD car, but the reg didnt look spanish????????

They do it alot around here, in fact I often get stopped on a particular roundabout on my school run. But the little guardia man usually just wants a cigarette and doesnt even ask me for my paperwork anymore! - Now that wouldnt happen in England LOL!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
And this makes things right???? :confused:
Depends what you mean by 'right', doesn't it? Do you mean 'morally' or 'legally' right?
I paid Road Tax for over two years on a car that was never driven on a UK road until it was driven back to the UK to be sold. It was new and didn't require an MOT. So I know what's legally required and I've paid up.
My current UK plated RHD car was taxed, MOTed and driven here last summer. It is and will always be properly maintained. It is fully insured for Europe-wide driving and can be driven on UK roads at any time.. I'm thinking of changing it anyway, either by part exchange or sale, here or in the UK.
Since it's not registered in my name and the registered owner is UK resident I think the status is complicated.
Many things in life are not 'right' but compared to the global scale of misdeeds I would say mine is comparatively trivial, wouldn't you?;)
As I said, if the Guardia decide I'm not complying with the law, then they can have the wretched car. I have a fully legal Spanish -registered car and if I wanted a second vehicle as back up, hell, I 'd go and buy one.
To me, the most important consideration before ANY vehicle is taken on the road, whatever its plates or other status, is that it is roadworthy.
I may or may not have driven a vehicle that does not abide by ownership/status requirements -and I'm not sure that my BMW isn't currently legal in Spain -but I have NEVER driven a vehicle that was not fit to be on the road and that to me is doing 'right'.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends what you mean by 'right', doesn't it? Do you mean 'morally' or 'legally' right?
I paid Road Tax for over two years on a car that was never driven on a UK road until it was driven back to the UK to be sold. It was new and didn't require an MOT. So I know what's legally required and I've paid up.
My current UK plated RHD car was taxed, MOTed and driven here last summer. It is and will always be properly maintained. It is fully insured for Europe-wide driving and can be driven on UK roads at any time.. I'm thinking of changing it anyway, either by part exchange or sale, here or in the UK.
Since it's not registered in my name and the registered owner is UK resident I think the status is complicated.
Many things in life are not 'right' but compared to the global scale of misdeeds I would say mine is comparatively trivial, wouldn't you?;)
As I said, if the Guardia decide I'm not complying with the law, then they can have the wretched car. I have a fully legal Spanish -registered car and if I wanted a second vehicle as back up, hell, I 'd go and buy one.
To me, the most important consideration before ANY vehicle is taken on the road, whatever its plates or other status, is that it is roadworthy.
I may or may not have driven a vehicle that does not abide by ownership/status requirements -and I'm not sure that my BMW isn't currently legal in Spain -but I have NEVER driven a vehicle that was not fit to be on the road and that to me is doing 'right'.
I agree with the principal of what you're saying, but what would worry me is that if you have an accident - be it your fault or not and you needed to claim on the insurance for injury or damage. Would the guardia back you up and say, yes this vehicle is totally legal?? - if not, the insurance company wont pay up and you will then be prosecuted???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Back to our incident. They werent just stopping British cars altho I've no doubt thats why we were pulled in. They were stopping allsorts. There was a Spanish (??) van infront driven by a young lady who they appeared to give a ticket to (she didnt look pleased). And a guy in a blue car behind us - who wasnt in a RHD car, but the reg didnt look spanish????????

They do it alot around here, in fact I often get stopped on a particular roundabout on my school run. But the little guardia man usually just wants a cigarette and doesnt even ask me for my paperwork anymore! - Now that wouldnt happen in England LOL!!!!

Jo xxx

I wonder if they're doing it at this time because fewer people in RHD cars are more likely to be here on holiday than residents? The A7 near Mijas/Fuengirola etc. is an area where you are likely to catch a whole bunch of British residents whereas round here there aren't so many, although there a quite a few driving UK cars..
Austrian rules are interesting: apparently you can put your Austrian plates on any EU vehicle. When our landlord flies in from Vienna he carries his Austrian plates with him and sticks them on the car he keeps here.
I've seen the Guardia stopping cars locally but I've been ignored on the one occasion I was in my UK plated car. They seem to concentrate on commercials and older cars, often driven by Moroccans or other 'non -Brit foreigners.
If they do get round to doing a sweep of 'illegal' UK plated cars here they will have a lot of paperwork to do.
I was once stopped in another UK plated car I had and no questions were asked about the status of the car which was at the time fully legal as I had been here barely two months.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
I agree with the principal of what you're saying, but what would worry me is that if you have an accident - be it your fault or not and you needed to claim on the insurance for injury or damage. Would the guardia back you up and say, yes this vehicle is totally legal?? - if not, the insurance company wont pay up and you will then be prosecuted???

Jo xxx
I had this out with the Spanish nsurance company. They assured me that I was covered third party which is my main concern. As far as my car goes, I'm honestly not bothered. If it's damaged it can be scrapped. We've had more than our money's worth from it. This may be tempting fate but I'm a careful driver and have had no claims against me for over thirty years, since I began driving. I've also passed a test to drive minibuses with passengers.
The UK broker with whom I'd previously had 365 day all -European insurance on both UK and Spanish plated vehicles gave me that reassurance too.
I'm seriously considering swapping it, though. Any ideas as to how best to go about that?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Do not believe any one who tells you this . Years ago you could get away with it but the only legal reasons you can be on the road without an Mot ,in the UK,is if you are returning to the test centre for re-testing after a failure, or after a SORN to a booked appointment. SORN means ,off road , in the UK. You cannot SORN outside of the UK.

My car is registered to a UK owner and UK address so there's no problem there.
So if the need arose, it would be deSORNEd and booked for an MOT. The registered owner is fully insured to drive the vehicle in the UK and Europe-wide and frequently does when visiting us.
One of our UK businesses involved an MOT testing centre so unless the rules have changed in the last five years I think I still know procedures.
But then I also know that rules do change frequently.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
and I'm not sure that my BMW isn't currently legal in Spain -but I have NEVER driven a vehicle that was not fit to be on the road and that to me is doing 'right'.
I guess I'm strange :)
I always feel that if I move to a country then I should abide by their laws as best I can.

I know of course that there are many discussions over the internet about this issue, but the bottom line is not that people feel morally warm and cuddly about this, but that in the event of an accident the other party is covered.

There are so many restrictions and different takes on this subject that its not worth going into here so I'll leave the thread shortly at this point. Cars being permanently exported, for instance. You clearly have an interesting policy if it's UK insured, as few companies in the UK will insure a car that has been permanently exported. However as you say, it's complicated because the car is in your daughters name, and that normally means it can only be driven for 6 months of the year in Spain on UK plates, even with the British legalities. I guess you'd say to that, how can anyone prove that, but actually the onus will be on YOU to prove it, from what I have heard in past occasions

Anyway, I'll now slope off elsewhere :)

1 - 20 of 247 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.