Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the fallowing email. Does anyone have an opinion about it?

This also goes for SCOTLAND, WALES & IRELAND!!

ENGLAND I think this really sums it all up.

After hearing that many cities did not want to offend other cultures by putting up Xmas lights, so DIDN'T!

After learning that the British Red Cross shops were instructed not to display Christmas decorations lest they cause offence. (A move which cost them my support thereafter.)
After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's licence with her face covered. You try it!

After hearing of a Primary School in Birmingham where a boy was told that for PE they could wear Football League shirts (Aston Villa, Birmingham, West Brom etc) but NOT an England shirt as it could offend others !

This prompted the editorial below written by a UK citizen.
and published in a British newspaper.

IMMIGRANTS. NOT BRITONS, MUST ADAPT.

Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on London , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits.

However, the dust from the attacks has barely settled and the 'politically correct' crowd begin complaining about the possibility that our patriotism is offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain . However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.

This idea of England being a multicultural centre for community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Britons, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of wars, struggles, trials and victories fought by the untold masses of men and women who laid down their lives and of the millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.. If St. George's cross offends you, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.

We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this.

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.

We didn't force you to come here. If you don't like it GO HOME!!

You asked to be here.. So accept the country that accepted YOU. Pretty easy really, when you think about it...

If we all keep passing this to our friends (and enemies) it will also, sooner or later get back to the complainers, lets all try, please.

No matter how many times you receive it.... please forward it to all you know

·
Banned
905 Posts

Hi John and All

I could not agree more.

What we need but will never get is a situation like in Australia. This is our country if you do not like it go away. To many in the UK are more interested in Human Rights than what is best for there own country.

Below is what the UK needs but will not get

I am moving to Portugal and understand i have to accept there ways.

Peterfc

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
John please note that Ireland is in two parts.

Northern Ireland (6 of 32 counties) are part of the "United Kingdom and Northern Ireland".
The other 26 counties are EIRE.

political correctness is not so much in evidence in Ireland. Christmas decorations abounded. Carols were sung and nativity plays we carried out in schools. Long may it remain so.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Dear John,
That is a piece of propoganda by a racist organisation called c18. They sometimes submit it as an open letter from an Australian MP, but the gist is always the same.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Dear John,
That is a piece of propoganda by a racist organisation called c18. They sometimes submit it as an open letter from an Australian MP, but the gist is always the same.
Must admit that I have received that email several time Silvers. Didn´t know the source though thanks:clap2:

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
totally shocked

from DailyMail.co.uk

Farmer whose chickens were spooked by RAF jets gets a bigger MoD payout than wounded soldiers

Defence chiefs paid out £42,000 to a Staffordshire farmer whose chickens laid fewer eggs because they were frightened by the Red Arrows display team.

Another £117,000 was handed over to a Yorkshire racehorse owner after the animal injured itself when it was spooked by jets.Someone in Devon banked £52,000 because low-flying aircraft on exercise sparked Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Someone in Devon banked £52,000 because low-flying aircraft on exercise sparked Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Sergeant Darren Stephens sustained terrible injuries to his arms and legs in a mortar attackin Iraq three years ago.
The 37-year-old, of Leeds, received £102,000 in compensation - £15,000 less than the injured racehorse.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear John,
I have a question for you Silvers. Which part of that message do you considerer to be racist?
:confused:

·
Banned
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My interpretation of this message is what the majority of the British people want. The right to be British in their own country
:focus:

·
Banned
78 Posts
Hi John
That subject is… there are several British families on Silver Coast and knowing that the majority will agree with that letter, it is true that is a complicated matter to discus in an open forum. The fear of repercussions is still present when subjects like that came in to conversation. However, I do agree that when you move to a different country, looking for a better quality of life, you should respect their culture and way of life and do your best to fit in. My knowledge regarding the UK is very basic, 2 weeks holidays in London, and whatever I hear from the “Brits” I know. My opinion is that they don’t seem to be happy with the way England is going, and that’s one of the reasons so many are leaving, looking for a better, “calmer” place to live and raise their children

·
Banned
905 Posts

Hi John
That subject is… there are several British families on Silver Coast and knowing that the majority will agree with that letter, it is true that is a complicated matter to discus in an open forum. The fear of repercussions is still present when subjects like that came in to conversation. However, I do agree that when you move to a different country, looking for a better quality of life, you should respect their culture and way of life and do your best to fit in. My knowledge regarding the UK is very basic, 2 weeks holidays in London, and whatever I hear from the “Brits” I know. My opinion is that they don’t seem to be happy with the way England is going, and that’s one of the reasons so many are leaving, looking for a better, “calmer” place to live and raise their children

Hi Miguel

Very well said.

I hope to move to Central Portugal March/ April and i hope to fit into life as it is. I could not and would not want to change a thing.

Peterfc

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dear John,
I dont care who it comes from. It should be given to every one who wants to stay in Britain, and they should be made to sign it, and agree to abide by it. And no, I dont belong to c18 or any other racist organisation. I live in a country that I was not born in, I would not dream of trying to make them change.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Hi Miguel

Very well said.

I hope to move to Central Portugal March/ April and i hope to fit into life as it is. I could not and would not want to change a thing.

Peterfc
Hi Peter
I am still green on the forum, but for what I see you are one of the few who’s never afraid to speak your mind. It might get you in trouble now and again but you seem to be, what you see is what you get. Not many people have that courage does days. Central Portugal it is beautiful, good choice of yours. Suggestion; Bring your rain coat with you. You will be arriving during the rainy season, which generally is April/May

·
Registered
119 Posts
Totally agree !!

Does anyone have an opinion about it?

I would just like to add my opinion to this ... i am British & have been living in the Middle East for a while {although about to move on very soon }
I have lived in a very different culture & surroundings but realised one thing .. when you decide to live in any country YOU have to adjust ... and not the country !

I really find it difficult to understand why the British Government find that so hard & bow's down to people's cultural differnces that choose to live there

I am a Christian living in the Muslim world .. but it has never done me any harm .. its just a matter of accepting everyones beliefs & religions & way of life
They celebrate the month of Ramadan & expats here respect this & we have to adjust accordingly .. the way we dress .. & different tiimings for what we can do .. No Smoking / Drinking / Eating in any public place until after {Iftar timing } approx 6.30 pm .. we have to respect this because it is NOT our country .. but at the same time we celebrate our own traditions .. Christmas etc .. its really just a case of understanding

If we didnt agree with things or get offended & started to complain, we would be told to ' GO TO YOUR COUNTRY ' and they have every right to say this ... WE choose to stay here .. now because of this general attitude it is one of the safest places in the world to live, having zero tolerance on certain things, no matter where you are from or what your nationality is, and to be very honest the so called British Government could learn a lot from countries like this .. No job then you go home .... NO HANDOUTS HERE !!!

I think the British Government needs a big wake up call .. thats why the place is on its knee's
Its all very simple really & we all have the right to look for a better lifestyle ..but
YOU choose the country & YOU choose that way of life !!
and if YOU dont like it .. YOU GO HOME
[/I]:)

·
Banned
905 Posts

Hi Miguel and Desres and All

Thank you for your comments. I do not post to to cause offence or to say what is expected, but i will always be honest as that is how i was taught as a child.

We have a saying in the UK " When in Rome do as the Romans do ".

We have a very small group of people out of 60/70 million who do not want to accept the way of life in the that we enjoy. What we really need is a party to say "This is our country if you wish to stay then accept our way of life. If you do not wish to enjoy our way of life then find somewhere that will allow you to act as you wish". If a party was to declare this as part of what it stood for then i am sure that the next election would see a change for "UK Values first" Enough from me my last word.

I have said before I have paid my Promissory contract, i have my house. Portugal is allowing me to move to there country. Then i should be fair and accept there rules.

Peter

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Slightly off the subject. About a week ago I had a conversation with the UK tax office as I had sent a form to them in August to remove myself from the UK tax system as I am now FULLY resident in Portugal.

So sorry madam...we haven't got around to it yet as we have had so many application we have been inundated with these forms. It will still be some time before we will be able to activate it

Does that not tell us something.

·
Banned
905 Posts

Hi All

I am part of the largest discount chain in the UK and we are all franchised. A number of years ago i had a huge Threshers hope next door to mine. As we are discount after some time it closed :clap2: . Before it closed i applied for the Lottery machine only to be told it had been allocated to another outlet. I was also told to reapply. This i did first Monday of every month. Each time i was told sorry no machines available but please call back. This i did first Monday of each month. I even knew the staff by name.

Some time ago on the next block a shop changed to what is called a Londis shop. Guess what they got a lottery machine. Me i am the wrong colour being white. I said i would complain to the Race commission and the lottery said i could as my file had got lost. At that time i had been in my present business premises for 20 twenty years. If my name had not been Peter but an ethnic name would i be better off? Who knows.

It's time to retire i am now 60 years young.

So if i moan and complain it's just me getting something of my chest so when i move to CP i am relaxed and ready for a peaceful future LIFE.

Peter

·
Registered
554 Posts
My interpretation of this message is what the majority of the British people want. The right to be British in their own country
:focus:
Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV. Then surfing the internet on a Chinese computer to book a flight to Portugal on an Irish Airline.

And the most British thing of all? Suspicion of all things foreign!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a question for you Silvers. Which part of that message do you considerer to be racist?
:confused:
Sorry for the late reply John, been busy.
Ok here goes, I hate this subject because I hate rascism,as I am sure most do on here. To dislike someone because they are different is wrong. The letter you posted is suggesting just that. Britain is diverse, it's culture being derived from all points. The fact that it's entire point is to tell people to "go home," shows you everything you need to know. It says "they" can get away with everything, it doesn't say that "they" are persecuted just because their skin is kinda dark.
The letters whole purpose is to strike a chord in your mind, to sow that seed, to get you to agree to their beliefs. They are an evil organisation who should be hunted down and culled.
Incidentally the 18 of C18 stands for the 1st and 8th letters of the alphabet, A and H, can you guess who they are named after?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.