Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just jumping over from the Britain forum.. myself (british) and my aussie partner are currently in Australia. Our plans have changed a little and we are considering marrying in Australia rather than in the UK.. then returning back to the uk to live. were both over 18 and have been in a relationship for about 1.5 years now. neither of us have married before.

Im currently in Australia on a three month visitor evisa, due to return to the uk mid August when i have to return to work. (I will either have to extend my visa to a 6 month visa or nip out of aus and come back on a fresh evisa as stupidly my flights mean that i stay in australia for 3 months and 2 days.)

I'm struggling to find the official documents online relating to a foreigner marrying an aussie citizen and wondered if anyone could offer some advice re a foreigner marrying in australia in our circumstances?

I gather we have to give notice to a celebrant 1 month before marriage but am unsure as to any other details, any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I had a look at the resources, it sates you don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here. So i guess a visitor visa should be sufficient.

We had submitted an english notice of intention to marry in the UK before our plans changed and we decided outdoors was much nicer than a registry office, I wondered if that would be valid in aus or whether we would have to complete the australian notice of intended marriage?

also... the document requests birth certificates, is this an absolute must? my partner doesnt know where hers is. She does have her passport and drivers license though.

Thanks again for your help guys

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
I don't know anything about getting married in Australia but your giving notice to marry in the UK has nothing to do with getting married in Australia. It doesn't transfer if that is what you are thinking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts