Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Memo
hi everyone

Does anyone have any recommendations for suburbs near Brisbane?

I assume i will be working in the CBD so we cannot live too far away from the city centre. We need good schools nearby for our daughter. and one of my husbands compromises for the whole move is that we have some land.

We have been looking on Google earth and Logan Village and Jimboomba look like houses have fair size gardens, any comments?

thanks
The Martins

·
Registered
130 Posts
Brisbane Suburbs / Schools

Hi!
I live in Brisbane so thought I'd reply to your post, as I am going to Spain next year and am searching the same sort of info from people there!

It's probably helpful to give an idea of the sort of lifestyle you are looking for - what sort of facilities you like to have around you, etc. For example, how old are your children? Are you interested in private or government schools? And when you talk of having land, do you mean what they call here "acreage"? An average inner-city block may be anything from 250sqm (very small!) to 450 - 550sqm. As you move out blocks obviously get bigger. People who like the semi-rural life seem to like Bellbowrie, Kenmore Hills, Samford - have you looked at those suburbs / areas? To me they seem very "family" orientated areas - people with horses, tennis courts etc. I'm not so familiar with Logan and areas to the south - hopefully someone else will be. The "bay" area is also nice - Manly, Cleveland, Wellington Point - WP for example has a bit of a holiday area feel to it, and is cooler because it is by the water. Shorncliffe / Scarborough to the north is also nice.

How long are you willing to commute for? This could give some idea as to what might suit you. I live very close to the CBD and consider places like Logan quite a way away - and also a bit of a commute. Of course this may seem little in comparison to what you are used to - but you do quickly become acclimatised and what might not bother you early on will effect you the same as everyone else when you've been here a while!

There are many excellent schools - again, if you are interested in private do you have a preference for a certain religion? This will impact your choices. There are also some great government schools. For primary school I personally wouldn't consider a private school as there are so many excellent government schools. For high school there is a variety but good ones that I know of are Brisbane State High School, Indooroopilly High, and Kelvin Grove State College - but I am sure there are others.

I hope that gives you a start - but with more info we can be a bit more focussed to your requirements!

All the best!
jockm

·
Registered
201 Posts
It will come down to price.
$700k+ will get acreage in the Bayside area, but what size block are you really looking for ?

Travel times are obviously difficult to work out for you, but as an example, Victoria Point to Stones Corner each day, for an 8am start is a 45 minute drive.

Victoria Point/Redland Bay is just about as far East as you can get, without living on the Bay islands :)

The Chandler area also has some good acreage blocks, not sure about the prices now, as I haven't looked at them for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts