Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering bringing my wife's parents to the USA to live. We are just completing our Naturalization process, so understand we can sponser them for Green Cards.

Health insurance looks to be a minefield. Despite being over 65 they dont qualify for Medicare (& cant even buy Medicare coverage... not in US for min 5 years). I think they are eligible for cover under the Affordable Care Act, & at reasonable rates after tax credits (low income), even before they have Green cards.

I need to be sure of the situation, has anyone else been through this?, or have any advice please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, I have not covered that aspect yet, we are still assessing economic viability. I'm assuming that we can start the green card process while they are still in the UK, & they can enter initially under a visitor visa if the process has not completed? (they will not be working). Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Good question, I have not covered that aspect yet, we are still assessing economic viability. I'm assuming that we can start the green card process while they are still in the UK, & they can enter initially under a visitor visa if the process has not completed? (they will not be working). Any advice gratefully received.
They can visit as long as they have no immigration intent. Makes not much common sense but it is what it is. Medical, interview, .... it takes place in the UK. Read up on the process on travel.state.gov or USCiS.gov.
They will enter the U.S. and activate their Green Cards after approval.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Once you are citizens you start the process to sponsor your parents. As they are immediate family they will obtain their visas relatively quickly - a few months. When they enter the US they will automatically be permanent residents and get their green cards.

In the meantime, while the visas are being processed they can visit.

Bringing Parents to Live in the United States as Permanent Residents | USCIS

With respect to their medical cover they will be eligible for medical insurance under the Obamacare options. (They will not be eligible for Medicare until at least 5 years- and even then will have to pay for Part A (which currently is 400 bucks a month), plus Part B, C and D),

Go to healthcare.gov and do preliminary research on how much a plan is likely to cost you.

Even with tax credits you should budget several hundred dollars a month for their cover, taking into account deductibles, co-pays.

You should also take into consideration how to pay for elderly care if they should need in home help or have to go into sheltered accommodation. There are relatively little 'social' programs for these.

Reactions: ChrisEdwardsUSA
1 - 7 of 7 Posts