Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum. I need a starting point to move from, I am a British citizen but born out side of the UK in a now independent colonial country. I married a man from a different colonial country and have lived in Africa nearly all my life. We are now wanting to move to the UK , My husband does not have an British rights, what visa is the best to look at, and what other requirements will we need to look at. We are both in our 50's

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have had a look at the sites and it seems to be a field full of land mines, , What if the financial aspect is not possible, would we then require a sponser ?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Have had a look at the sites and it seems to be a field full of land mines, , What if the financial aspect is not possible, would we then require a sponser ?
It's you who must meet the financial requirement and sponsorship is not allowed. If you don't meet the financial requirement your application will fail. If someone can gift you £62,500 with no strings attached, you can meet the financial requirement through savings.

Other options would include your spouse getting sponsored for a Tier 2 work visa however if the job isn't on the shortage occupation list employers must 1st prove there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position so these visas are difficult to qualify for. He could enrol in an advanced degree program but this would require paying international student fees and does not lead to permanent settlement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks what is /does the Tier 2 work visa-require.?

We did go to live in the UK way back in 198484 and my husband got his national insurance number and was given if I recall- indefinite leave to remain back then, however we came back to Africa after about 6 months and have been back here since then, would this tick an boxes

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Thanks what is /does the Tier 2 work visa-require.?

We did go to live in the UK way back in 198484 and my husband got his national insurance number and was given if I recall- indefinite leave to remain back then, however we came back to Africa after about 6 months and have been back here since then, would this tick an boxes
Indefinite leave to remain expires after you have been out of the country for 2 years. A national insurance number does not have any impact on immigration or getting a visa.

To qualify for a Tier 2 work visa he'd have to find an employer to sponsor him which as I said is extremely difficult if it's not for a job on the shortage occupation list as the employer must prove there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position. That's about 500 million people. Unless he is highly skilled with advanced degrees etc. it's unlikely he'll qualify.

UK Border Agency | Tier 2 (General)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found the old details it was a Entry certificate Certificiate of patriclity not indefinite leave to remain. II presume that this will still be of no benefit what so ever

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In his old passport he has a Certificate of Patriality which seems to indicate he has right of abode , is this correct and does that mean we do not have to apply- but he can go back at any time

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No I'm afraid not. You have to start the process again under the current rules.
'Patriality'! Brings back memories of my earlier dealings with Home Office after this word was coined in 1971 Immigration Act. This was an attempt to further restrict immigration, mainly from newer Commonwealth countries, by insisting your British roots went back at least two generations, to your grandparents, thus excluding almost all non-Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians. It also smacked or racism, as the excluded were predominantly non-Whites. So the government had to devise other ways of limiting immigration.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Do you remember under what circumstances did your partner qualify for patriality? It usually meant his mother was British or a Commonwealth citizen with right of abode in UK at the end of 1982.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will get back to you once we have tried to establish, the details it was so long ago now.I think his mother was of Irish decent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice could someone advise on if passports have to be sent off with the application , or can we retain passports while the visa is being processed, if we drive through to Malawi to submit the application we would need to return to Mozambique to continue working until the visa is processed, but we would require our passports for boarder control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.