Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I plan on moving to France to study for the next 4 years and hopefully find a good job to stay and work there. My situation is actually kind of odd as I have got a scholarship, a place to stay (I have a friend resided in France), in other words, everything is taken care of, except one. My family, unaware of my efforts to gain a scholarship has bought me a new scooter, now as I move to France to study I do not plan to buy a new scooter in France if the cost to bring my old scooter from Vietnam to France does not exceed to price of a new scooter bought in France. So here are my questions:

1/ Is it legally impossible to bring my old scooter from Vietnam to France? I have a driver's license in Vietnam, plate numbers, etc.

2/ If it is possible, what would be the procedures and associated costs?

3/ If it is possible, what is the procedures of getting the adequate driver's license in France? How many procedures do I have to o through to be able to ride my scooter normally and legally? I am 22 years old by the way.

I know this is kind of a long shot, but because the price of a scooter is unbelievably high in Vietnam, and for the most part, I kind of have emotional attachments to my scooter, as I have done some paint jobs and it actually is my first legally owned scooter.
Thank you for your attention and your (hopefully) helps :)

·
Administrator
51,973 Posts
Apparently, given your age, you'll need an A2 driving license. Details here: Permis de conduire A2 (permis moto de puissance intermédiaire) - Service-public.fr

I'm not sure about the details of actually transporting your scooter to France, but you will have to register it and get plates. This is the information from Service Public about that: Un étranger qui s'installe en France doit-il y faire immatriculer son véhicule ? - Service-public.fr

Perhaps someone else here on the forum has actually imported a scooter or other two-wheeled vehicle and can provide some insight.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well me french is kind of rusty so I'll need to take a look into the links but knowing there is hope for actually importing my scooter is relieving. My country offers A2 driver's license, if my memory is not as rusty as my french I think A2 is internationally accepted ?

·
Administrator
51,973 Posts
If your home country has a reciprocity agreement with France on licenses, you may be able to simply exchange. (And given France's historic links with Vietnam, I'd say there is a fair chance there may be an agreement.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Yes, all Vietnamese drivers' licences can be exchanged http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/IMG/pdf/Liste_permis_de_conduire_valables_a_l_echange_01_2014_cle8cc6c4.pdf.

Here's a link to the pubic service site that explains what you will need to do Échanger un permis de conduire non européen - Service-public.fr. Be aware of the 12 month timeframe within which you need to arrange this (it is advisable to submit your application at least 2 months before the 12 months is up. For the first 12 months you can drive here on the appropriate Vietnamese licence (Permis B for up to 125 cc, A2 for 125 to 600cc - Quel permis pour quelle catégorie de véhicules ? - Service-public.fr.

Your scooter must be insured here before you can drive it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thanks for your help. May I ask what are the procedures to get a number plate for my scooter in France? Which department should I talk to? I heard that there's an emission test (My guess is my scooter's going to pass as it has the same engine as the PCX) etc?

·
Administrator
51,973 Posts
Just follow along with the link I provided up thread about "immatriculation" of your "vehicule" - basically you need to get a registration (carte grise - only they have a new name for that now) and once you have the registration, you go to a local shop to have your plates made up.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts