Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Apologies if this question is asked before but I could not get the answer I was looking for. Thus, I am posting this question again so anyone may give me some insights.

I am moving to Sydney next month and I have some stock of cooking items which I don't want to waste before leaving for Sydney. There are some items like Sugar, spices, barberry seeds (used for cooking), Saffron, baking powder, Raisin and dry fruits.

I know that I must declare these items to custom officials but after declaration will I get to bring them to Sydney or I must dispose them off?

Additionally, can someone tell me what the quarantine process of shipped items by sea included? Will there be any paste control on items? I have some stock of rice and cooking oil which again I don't want to waste so I thought of sending them across.

P.S: I have stock of these items because I had a small bakery business here :) and most of them are sealed and packed.

Thank you,
Regards,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hello,

Apologies if this question is asked before but I could not get the answer I was looking for. Thus, I am posting this question again so anyone may give me some insights.

I am moving to Sydney next month and I have some stock of cooking items which I don't want to waste before leaving for Sydney. There are some items like Sugar, spices, barberry seeds (used for cooking), Saffron, baking powder, Raisin and dry fruits.

I know that I must declare these items to custom officials but after declaration will I get to bring them to Sydney or I must dispose them off?

Additionally, can someone tell me what the quarantine process of shipped items by sea included? Will there be any paste control on items? I have some stock of rice and cooking oil which again I don't want to waste so I thought of sending them across.

P.S: I have stock of these items because I had a small bakery business here :) and most of them are sealed and packed.

Thank you,

Regards,

Keep a list and when customs ask, just show the list. I bring pepper and salt everytime I enter Australia and they hv not checked so far. Just don't bring airline food in. They are particular abt those. I'm not sure why though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: interfacemirror

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Hello,

Thank you,
Regards,
There is no point in shipping the items you have mentioned to Australia all the way from Pakistan

The quarantine charges, custom clearance will be so high that you will regret sending it
Moreover unfortunately you are coming from a high risk country and these baking items are all in powder form, so you can imagine what they will be suspecting

Bring what you can on flight and donate the rest in Pakistan

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no point in shipping the items you have mentioned to Australia all the way from Pakistan

The quarantine charges, custom clearance will be so high that you will regret sending it
Moreover unfortunately you are coming from a high risk country and these baking items are all in powder form, so you can imagine what they will be suspecting

Cheers
Hello

I am not coming from Pakistan. I am coming from Poland. But your point is taken! Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Current prices for some articles
1 KG Sugar 90 cents (Cheaper than India)
1 KG Salt 90 cents
5 Kg India Gate Basmati 11 AUD (Cheaper than India).

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only bring things that you are sure it would be difficult to get in Australia. There's no point of bringing stuff you can get easily in a grocery store. Australia is a multi-culture country. You can get almost anything there.

The first time I went there, I brought rice cooker, plate, blanket, etc. Few hours after I arrive, a visit to a store made me realize that I can get more Vietnamese stuff than I can find in a store in Vietnam.

In general, they don't like fresh farm products like fresh meat, fruit, nuts etc. as these can bring non-native pests into the country. They checked my pair of spare shoes to see if there's any soil on it. Packaged food got through without any problem.

Powder stuff can be tricky, especially the "white powder" like salt, sugar etc. They don't like stuff made from wild animals too: like crocodile pelt, wild animal fur, snake wine etc. You are from Poland, I don't think you like those. But many Asian do bring those to Australia.

Reactions: ankitgoel10

·
Registered
770 Posts

Cheers
Totally agree with this. My sister in previous year took some spices from India in her flight. At Adelaide airport she had to face custom and immigration officer and they were very strict. Later they allowed the items but my sister had to wait for 2 hours to get the items checked one by one.
P. S. : My sister is having Australian citizenship from 7 year's.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Only bring things that you are sure it would be difficult to get in Australia. There's no point of bringing stuff you can get easily in a grocery store. Australia is a multi-culture country. You can get almost anything there.

The first time I went there, I brought rice cooker, plate, blanket, etc. Few hours after I arrive, a visit to a store made me realize that I can get more Vietnamese stuff than I can find in a store in Vietnam.

In general, they don't like fresh farm products like fresh meat, fruit, nuts etc. as these can bring non-native pests into the country. They checked my pair of spare shoes to see if there's any soil on it. Packaged food got through without any problem.

Powder stuff can be tricky, especially the "white powder" like salt, sugar etc. They don't like stuff made from wild animals too: like crocodile pelt, wild animal fur, snake wine etc. You are from Poland, I don't think you like those. But many Asian do bring those to Australia.

I've learned something today: snake wine. Well I never :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts