Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife from Peru has recently moved to the UK (1 month ago) on a spouse visa, and we want that her mum comes to visit us in the UK, eventually living with us permanently in 2-3 years time following her retirement.

What is the best way of trying to go about doing this?

We were thinking of applying for a standard visitor visa that would hopefully cover a 5 year period or so, and then following a few trips back and forth, apply for her to move here permanently.

Has anyone had any experiences doing this, or what would be involved?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Family visas are for immediate family members (spouse/children). Adult dependant relatives are only eligible if they are completely dependent on the sponsor for daily living (i.e., physically disabled) and unable to survive in their home country. As your wife has already moved to the UK it would be impossible to prove this. I don't think there is any chance of getting your mother-in-law to the UK for settlement and I don't personally know of anyone who has succeeded in obtaining a visa for an adult dependant relative.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Family visas are for immediate family members (spouse/children). Adult dependant relatives are only eligible if they are completely dependent on the sponsor for daily living (i.e., physically disabled) and unable to survive in their home country. As your wife has already moved to the UK it would be impossible to prove this. I don't think there is any chance of getting your mother-in-law to the UK for settlement and I don't personally know of anyone who has succeeded in obtaining a visa for an adult dependant relative.

Ok I see, I imagined there would have been another option to bring a family member over to the UK as I thought this would be quite common.

So the only option is a standard visitor visa that allows up to 6 months?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Yes, it's very likely she would only be able to visit. Unless she has the right to an EU passport, or if she has millions lying around, she could get an investor visa. But I don't think there's any other way to bring her to the UK long-term.

·
Registered
38,987 Posts
Adult dependent relative visa is one of the most difficult visas to obtain following the change in rules in 2012, and only a handful are issued a year, and they are for people living in abject deprivation with nobody to care for them, in a country that has little social care. In effect the government has managed to close this avenue for migration.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adult dependent relative visa is one of the most difficult visas to obtain following the change in rules in 2012, and only a handful are issued a year, and they are for people living in abject deprivation with nobody to care for them, in a country that has little social care. In effect the government has managed to close this avenue for migration.

Hi Joppa,

Thanks for the info, is there any other way you can suggest or do you agree with what clever octopus stated above?

·
Registered
38,987 Posts
Unless she can obtain a visa in her own right, visiting is all she can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.