Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Just a little bit of background - my fiancé is from Sri Lanka, and I am British. He is here on a fiancé visa, and we will be applying for a FLR(M) as soon as we are married.

I am having a few problems because some of his family desperately want to come to live in the UK.

I have done a TON of research on this and from what I can see, it is next to impossible. I have tried to make them understand this. I have tried to explain that I could move my future husband to the UK because we have a genuine relationship and are getting married, but it is difficult, if not impossible to move other family members over. I am very sympathetic to the fact that life can be difficult for them in Sri Lanka, but I know that - again - it is difficult to move people to the UK.

My fiancé's sister lives in the UK (she was able to move here because her husband has an Italian passport, so she has a permanent residence card), and she thinks it would be possible to move her parents and their brother over here, using her husband's EU passport. Is this true?

I am also trying to stress that I will NOT do anything underhanded or dishonest to try and get people a Visa. I know that we would all come off worst if this happened. Could anyone tell me what would happen if we did this? (Just because I think they need to hear it from someone who knows a lot about it).

Once again, I am sympathetic that they have a difficult life, but I think they do need to hear from people with knowledge that it is next to impossible to get a visa for the UK just because you want to move here.

Sorry about my rambling!

Jenny x

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I'm afraid your experience isn't uncommon. A lot of people in South and South East Asia regard UK as meal ticket for life, and as soon as they hear of a family member getting a resident visa, they want to get on the same bandwagon and be a part of the convoy. You are right in putting them in their place. Bringing an extended family member is perhaps the most difficult visa to get and very few people qualify for it.
While it may be slightly easier under EU rules, you still need to demonstrate financial dependence or day-to-day care.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, both, for your responses. You both said exactly what I was thinking - you can't - as an extended family member - move to the UK, unless you are financially dependant.

My fiancé's brother wants me to explain to the embassy that he has a very difficult life in Sri Lanka because of his deafness, and he is stuck in a dead-end job...and he is hoping they will accept him into the UK because of this. I am not too convinced this will make any difference. What do you think?

Secondly - My fiancé and I are having a wedding blessing and reception next year (we are legally getting married next week) and he wants his parents and brother to attend on visit visas (family visitor?). While I have said that we can give a wedding invitation as evidence towards their reasons for visiting the UK, I have also said that I cannot be a sponsor, because I am already sponsoring my fiancé. Is this right? I am also worried that the authorities may fear that they will plan to overstay their visas (I will make sure they don't, but I can see why why they would worry, as both my fiancé and his sister live here).

Thank you so much.

Jenny. x

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Jenny,

I feel for you. It is a difficult position to be in especially if you know their lives are hard in their home country but I think you need to be firm. And more than that your husband needs to make it clear to them that you can't help them get a visa to live here because of your relationship. Remember you are marrying him and that does not mean you're responsible for his extended family's happiness!

My husband sometimes feels guilt about being here so far from his family so it can make it doubly hard hearing a family member has lost their job for example. But then I remind him we're not exactly rolling in money here either! We're comfortable but my husband works long hours and in a job he probably never would have done back home. I think there is an element of rose tinted glasses when people think of moving to Europe and your fiance just needs to remind them of the reality and more importantly that getting a visa for extended family is virtually impossible.

Good luck,
KHP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.