Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be relocating to France soon and I'd like to know what are the requirements, if any, to use my car which is registered in another EU country.

I've read on many online sources that you can use it up to 6 months and then you must register it as French, is this true?

Anyone with knowledge or experience on the matter?

·
Administrator
50,423 Posts
Once you're resident in France you are expected to register your car here. The sites I'm looking at say that you have a month to obtain your new registration (carte grise). But check the website for the prefecture for the town you'll be moving to. In many cases, you can request the new registration by post rather than having to go into the prefecture yourself. (And actually, you can register your car at any prefecture - doesn't have to be the one for your departement.)
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12097 (though this seems to deal with French people returning to France from abroad - I think it may apply to foreigners coming to France, too)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You have one month to re register your car here in France You will need the following 1 A quittus fiscal This is obtained from the French tax office in the area where you live and shows that VAT has been paid in the EU on the car and so you will need the purchase invoice for the car. 2.On your greek registration document you should have a homologation number which shows that the car has been approved for EU use If it is not there or is incorrect then you will need a certificate of conformity obtained from Greece 3 If the car is over 4 years old then it will require a french controle technique but if your greek equivalent still has over 6 months to run then you can use that to re register it 4 Proof of ID 5 Proof of address in France . Make sure that the Greek reg doc is in your name. YOu will need French car insurance when you arrive here All French companies will offer cover for a month to allow the car to be re registered If you have several hours to waste you can re register it at the sous prefecture for your area but I would recommend using a "Service Carte Grise" such as Cartaplac.There will be a fee involved but will save you lots of time and hassle You should note that there is a registration fee based on make model engine size fuel used and age of the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have one month to re register your car here in France
What about the following? I am trying to find full information and I am still confused. Is there any French service, speaking English, which I can contact to clarify this?

Time allowed for re-registering a vehicle

If you change your country of residence to France, you have a month in which to re-register a vehicle previously registered in another EU country, starting from the end of the first eight months in which your main place of residence is in France.​

Source: europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/france/index_en.htm (cant post links due to low post count)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 A quittus fiscal This is obtained from the French tax office in the area where you live and shows that VAT has been paid in the EU on the car and so you will need the purchase invoice for the car.
What about if the car has been transferred to me by a family member which has bought it as USED?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts