Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story, but basically...

My boyfriend and I have been to the algarve 3 times in 9 months, each time we see this puppy, which is now a year old that we have bonded with. We have checked with lots of people and he doesn't actually belong to anyone. We have fallen in love with him and even he thinks hes ours. Each time he remebers us and comes running to us and even follows us to where we are staying! We have totally bonded and he doesnt leave our side whether he sits outside the restaurant we are in and waits for us or just follows us everywhere.

Basically, we want to bring him over the england. We know its going to cost alot but I know we are ment to have him. Does anyone know the whole process or roughly how much it will be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Long story, but basically...

My boyfriend and I have been to the algarve 3 times in 9 months, each time we see this puppy, which is now a year old that we have bonded with. We have checked with lots of people and he doesn't actually belong to anyone. We have fallen in love with him and even he thinks hes ours. Each time he remebers us and comes running to us and even follows us to where we are staying! We have totally bonded and he doesnt leave our side whether he sits outside the restaurant we are in and waits for us or just follows us everywhere.

Basically, we want to bring him over the england. We know its going to cost alot but I know we are ment to have him. Does anyone know the whole process or roughly how much it will be?

Thanks.
I dont know the cost in portugal, but I do know you'll probably looking at a min of 150€ probably more, in spain it varies from vet to vet. However that isnt the hard bit, this is....

First the puppy has to have all the usual routine jabs, then it has to have the Rabies jab, 4 weeks after that he'll have to have a blood test to ensure that the rabies jab has worked. If it has, then you have to wait for 6 months before you can take the dog into the UK ( thats 6 months from the date of the blood test, not the rabies jab!). Also at the time of entering the UK, he'll have to have a medical check, worm and tick treatment, now this has to be done not more than 72 hours and not less than 24 hours before travelling!!!

Or you can go thru the quarantine route, but thats horrendously costly and stressful!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

It all seems so horrible for the poor dog! Although he shouldnt be living on the streets, he is so loving and kind. You can even take his food away from him when hes eating it and he doesnt get aggresive and this dog is sooo skinny.

But thank you for the advice :)

Ellie xx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Is there a dog shelter where you could take him to be cared for if you offer to pay for his keep and all expenses?
They could attend to all the necessary thigns needed and arrange for him to sent to you.
There are shelters here in Cyprus that willdo that for people who want to adopt strays and take them back to their home countries so I am sure there wil lbe someone in portugal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a really good idea. I havent thought about that I will get onto it, thank you. So you mean contact them and give them pictures and kind of ask them to just keep him untill we get there and get everything sorted?

Ellie xx

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Thats a really good idea. I havent thought about that I will get onto it, thank you. So you mean contact them and give them pictures and kind of ask them to just keep him untill we get there and get everything sorted?

Ellie xx
There is a lady who posts on this forum who seems to be invovled with dog rescue.
I will see if I can find her posts and give you here contact details

·
Registered
105 Posts
Barbara may be able to help, she is an English woman who breeds cats and has a hotel for cats and dogs in the Algarve area of Portugal.

gatil algarve

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dont know the cost in portugal, but I do know you'll probably looking at a min of 150€ probably more, in spain it varies from vet to vet. However that isnt the hard bit, this is....

First the puppy has to have all the usual routine jabs, then it has to have the Rabies jab, 4 weeks after that he'll have to have a blood test to ensure that the rabies jab has worked. If it has, then you have to wait for 6 months before you can take the dog into the UK ( thats 6 months from the date of the blood test, not the rabies jab!). Also at the time of entering the UK, he'll have to have a medical check, worm and tick treatment, now this has to be done not more than 72 hours and not less than 24 hours before travelling!!!

Or you can go thru the quarantine route, but thats horrendously costly and stressful!

Jo xxx

Have my dog right now in quarantine in US. It's the 6 months that's the 'problem', the rest is fairly straightforward. Microchip, rabies shot, blood titre test, papers signed (make sure the vet signs in blue, or so my instructions say - I missed that part). Then a wait for 6 months, and as above, the worm, flea and tick treatments 1 - 3 days before travelling. After that, so I understand, it's the cost of travel to UK and keep your fingers crossed that you've done it all correctly and they approve the dog for immediate entry. The idea of getting him somewhere to stay for the 6 months is a good one - nothing to do but wait for those months.

If anyone has knowledge of a company that will help pets through UK entry process please speak up. I've been told they do exist but as yet haven't found one that will do only the approval process on the UK side - I can provide papers that show that all the quarantine requirements are being done on this end - they want to do the whole trip from US to UK.
sarah

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you manage to get your dog on way to UK? As it is a rescue dog many kennels in the area can keep the dog for you and would offer you a substantially lower price than the daily boarding rate. If not, and if you are willing to "sponsor" the dog, by paying a nominal sum for food/donation and for its vet bills, a shelter should be willing to keep the dog for you until it can be sent to the UK. If you need any more information let me know where you are. Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well we have sent them an email so...fingers crossed.
Thanks so much!

xx
we had a similar situation but here in portugal ! he was a stray that took to us and after a year and a half later "vasco"is the most friendly lovable dog we´ve had,and of course street smart ,take him don´t even think twice

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you

we had a similar situation but here in portugal ! he was a stray that took to us and after a year and a half later "vasco"is the most friendly lovable dog we´ve had,and of course street smart ,take him don´t even think twice
Hi, thank you. I know, I want him here so much but its the money to even just go to Portugal every couple of weeks to check if he is still there. Im keeping my hopes up.

Thank you

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, thank you. I know, I want him here so much but its the money to even just go to Portugal every couple of weeks to check if he is still there. Im keeping my hopes up.

Thank you
So, what I believe I am reading is that you pay to travel to Portugal to see if he is still there, but won't spend the money to adopt him and care for him properly?

I am the ultimate animal lover, and if what I think you mean is the case, then my hope is that by now someone has adopted him properly.

These street dogs have a hard life sometimes trying to find food, avoiding danger and finding refuge to sleep, all on a permanent basis, not just when someone comes to visit.

If I misunderstood you, accept my apologies, please.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, what I believe I am reading is that you pay to travel to Portugal to see if he is still there, but won't spend the money to adopt him and care for him properly?

I am the ultimate animal lover, and if what I think you mean is the case, then my hope is that by now someone has adopted him properly.

These street dogs have a hard life sometimes trying to find food, avoiding danger and finding refuge to sleep, all on a permanent basis, not just when someone comes to visit.

If I misunderstood you, accept my apologies, please.
No that is not what we mean at all. We are in the process of having him over here but we cant afford thousands of pounds to put him into boarding, he has now been neutered which he needed to come over here and he is in our name. We are just waiting for the results of his raibies test then he can go into quarrintine. We do have other people feeding him 3 times a day and giving him so place to sleep. We are doing as much as we can.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
i´m one to break all rules...thers a fellow in another post thats going home to pick up his belongings,with a van...get him to take the dog with him

1 - 20 of 27 Posts