Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please don't judge or anything from the little info. I am simply after info regarding VISA. Not assumptions and advice on such. I am not stating assumptions be made but getting to the point. No offence. I apologise. I kindly ask for info. (Okay I'm tired lol).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems a mine field at moment. But this is prep work and research.

I've fallen for a girl in Thailand. Seen her for 2 days only. I didn't look for it. It happened. 2 days you think... I know. I am going back to see her and talk a month after I left. Will be there 8 nights. I am just simply thinking ahead. Just in case she is the one.

She has a child. A 2.5 year old. She is from Isaan. Dark skinned (if your reading into this). She is 27 and I'm 35. We do look a good matched couple. If anything she is less attractive than girls I'd date in the UK. But she is more attractive inside. Something special is there. Otherwise she has one of those invisible Khmer tattoos lol.

Thinking ahead if it works out what are my options for bring her to the UK with me?

I don't have any money saved away. I owe maybe 7K on loans and 7k on credit. But I earn 40K a year before tax. University educated. Never married and no dependants. I live with parents at moment but if she came to England I could rent a detached 3 bedroom house tomorrow with view to saving up deposit for first time mortgage and house together.

My question is what are my options VISA wise to get her in the UK with me please?

I am planing ahead. If this is for real I don't want to draw it out with her in Thailand and me here for months on end. To work we need to be together.

Another question I would ask is how would things change if we married in Thailand or she had my child (or both)?

If we married in Thailand would it help things and could we still marry in a church in UK at a later date with family present?

Please don't read in-between the lines and judge lol... I am planning ahead. Best to research before making a commitment and best to utilise my time on my return to Thailand. IE a passport for her etc if it is serious.

Thanks everyone who reads this far anyway for your time and 'greatly' appreciate any replies.

Andrew.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
To bring your Thai girlfriend and her child, you can only do so if you are already engaged and planning to marry in UK within 6 months of arrival. Alternative is to be married in Thailand. You can't bring her as unmarried partner as you lack 2-year cohabitation. There are three basic requirements for settlement visa for her and her child - financial, which in your case is gross UK income of £22,400 which you comfortably meet; accommodation - if your parents have a big enough house to accommodate all three of you - need two spare bedrooms, that would be the simplest, and after a while you can get a place of your own; and genuine relationship. Here the short time you have known each other would become an issue and you need somehow to convince Home Office that it's all for real with attachment, devotion and commitment, to live together as family for life. Maybe you need to take a bit more time over this and visit often and stay in touch, which becomes corroborating evidence. This isn't a judgment on you personally, but as there are scams involving people from developing countries, you can understand their caution and scepticism.

Marriage can take place either in Thailand or UK, or even somewhere else where you can legally tie the knot. But since Thai marriage, officially registered with the civil authorities is recognised in UK, you can't subsequently marry again in church in UK, so if that's what you want to do, she needs to come over as fiancée, get married and then switch her visa to spouse leave.
Having your child doesn't change the situation much, other than increasing your financial requirement by £2,400. It won't be taken as evidence of a viable relationship necessarily and won't make the visa easier to obtain. While living longer-term in Thailand and getting to know each other and respective families better would help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ever so much.
I am weary about scams, I know the the game.
She does want me and a better life for her OR a scam and Thai bf/husband.
If no other Thai involved she would find me very attractive.
Not being blind. Eyes open all the time.
But I know even if not a scam it will be difficult.
Language barrier and the fact <30c temp is cold to her, be shock in UK.
But she may well be the one. I ain't an idiot though.
Much to speak of when I see her for a week early Dec.
But I wanted to do sone ground work.
If it's real I'd want her in UK with me to provide for her.
I can't move to Thailand because of my job.
I am 35 not 60+.
I don't want commitment then leaving her in Thailand for months, year, 2 years.
That isn't a relationship. Wouldn't be surprised most scam stories or failed relationships start this way.
We are on LINE messager via mobiles past 10 days since seeing one another.
I am using a couple translators and we're communicating in Thai script.
I have told her I will work hard to learn Thai.
She said she would learn English. I'll tell her it is a Visa requirement.
Looks like the option for me would be fiancee visa.
That is awful about having a child together not changing anything. A father, mother and their child shouldn't be forced apart. I can imagine so many sad stories regarding this. I'd go ape if happened to me. Esp with all the taxes i have paid and the ammount of immigrants (not being racist here) that enter UK and live on benifits!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You would also need to make sure she would be allowed to take her child out of the country. I don't know how custody laws work in Thailand, but UKBA will want proof that the child's father is either completely out of the picture or has given her the right to relocate.

I'd also recommend you take your time with this process. While it is a good idea to think about the future (especially when visas will be involved), you're still in the heady early days. Definitely go and see her and her family, stay in contact when apart, and have her visit you for a couple of weeks, if possible. Doing things like helping her and her child get passports is a good idea. You can also look into arranging classes for her to meet the English language requirement while you're apart. That will probably take some time for her. This is a good time to gather documentation and proof of your relationship. Take pictures together when visiting. Go beyond the standard touristy ones and try to include ones with family and close friends. If you attend any significant events like holidays or weddings together, make sure to get a picture or 2.

Also, it's a good idea to start saving payslips and original bank statements (or make arrangements to receive paper copies for the next few months if you're online). That way, you'll have the financial documentation ready to go when you want to apply. There are loads of threads with details about what you need.

Ok, and now for the advice you might not want to hear. I'd say to give it at least 6 months before you consider making an application for any visa. That will give you time to get documentation together. And more importantly, it will give you all the chance to make sure this is a lasting relationship. Moving to another country, especially with a child, is not something to take lightly. If you want a church wedding in the UK, you need a fiance visa. If you'd rather just get married in Thailand and deal with one visa only, you can always have a vow renewal in the UK. It's not a legally binding ceremony, but it could be nice for your family and friends. And I'd say to hold off changing your living arrangements until after she arrives. You don't want to get stuck in a rental or mortgage that doesn't suit your needs. And as a spouse who is still stuck in the housing my in-laws arranged, it's preferable to be given some say in where you live.

Finally, DO NOT HAVE A CHILD WITH HER AT THIS TIME! It will not speed things up, and it will only make things more stressful for both of you. Wait until you know it's for real and you are together to support each other during the pregnancy and newborn days. I know you don't want to spend time apart if you decide she is the one, but that is the unfortunate reality. You're my age, so I'm sure you've learned some patience. I understand that it is really annoying to have to wait for all the paperwork to go through when you want something now, but that's how it is. Get as much preparation done as you can now so that you'll have less time to wait later. It sounds like you are asking the right questions and thinking things through. Remain level headed and enjoy the time you are able to spend with her. Good luck!

G

·
Thanks ever so much.
I am weary about scams, I know the the game.
She does want me and a better life for her OR a scam and Thai bf/husband.
If no other Thai involved she would find me very attractive.
Not being blind. Eyes open all the time.
But I know even if not a scam it will be difficult.
Language barrier and the fact <30c temp is cold to her, be shock in UK.
But she may well be the one. I ain't an idiot though.
Much to speak of when I see her for a week early Dec.
But I wanted to do sone ground work.
If it's real I'd want her in UK with me to provide for her.
I can't move to Thailand because of my job.
I am 35 not 60+.
I don't want commitment then leaving her in Thailand for months, year, 2 years.
That isn't a relationship. Wouldn't be surprised most scam stories or failed relationships start this way.
We are on LINE messager via mobiles past 10 days since seeing one another.
I am using a couple translators and we're communicating in Thai script.
I have told her I will work hard to learn Thai.
She said she would learn English. I'll tell her it is a Visa requirement.
Looks like the option for me would be fiancee visa.
That is awful about having a child together not changing anything. A father, mother and their child shouldn't be forced apart. I can imagine so many sad stories regarding this. I'd go ape if happened to me. Esp with all the taxes i have paid and the ammount of immigrants (not being racist here) that enter UK and live on benifits!
Most immigrants, including your prospective fiancée have no access to benefits.

Contrary to popular Daily Mail theories most immigrants dont come to the UK to live on benefits because they are not allowed to claim them. No student loans, No job seekers, No disability benefits, no public housing.

They do however work and pay taxes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Modzy. I am hearing you. I never could see myself in a relationship with a women that has a previous child. I honestly don't know why I feel different on this. I am only assuming she would want her child here with her. I know what your saying re:6 months etc. I know it makes sense. The hard part for me is being apart. Rather than together and getting to really know another, understanding and accepting our different cultures and learning obe anothers language together. I hate the thought of having to send her money for support. It is something I could easier do with her with me. If I am sending her money I cant save so much for flights to go back and be with her either. And it leads to suspision and lack of trust. Not a dig this but many failed stories I am sure are of bar girls being sent support money by men over twice there age.
I am on the same wave length regarding photos and passports.
Are the pay slips just to show my earnings or proof of me supporting her?
I agree regarding living arrangements. My parents have 2 spare bedrooms. But I can't see them letting her stay there. Who knows. I was thinking a short term rent somewhere while we test waters together.
Anyway this is all just research. Forward thinking. But best asked so i would know what i would be getting myself ibto if real and was to happen. Best prepared.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding immigrants and benifits. I talk of those I see with large families and houses I could never afford provided for them by the government with mine and your taxes

·
Registered
108 Posts
tbh you need to keep your feet on the ground & not let these romantic notions run away with you.
I know of a situation that almost exactly matches yours (say 8 years ago)
The girl had a child already- she left him there for other family to raise so she could have a "better" life with someone she met online & for the duration of his one visit.

They married- a very business-like arrangement as it turned out- she does everything for him...it suits him on a domestic level obv....but he has always been required to support her financially- & that means that since she lost her own earning power in her own country, he became financially responsible for her parents back there as well as the child she left behind.

She works now, but only mixes with women from her own background & still barely speaks English. Spends little time at home & prefers to mix with people from her own culture- even over the partner.Because she prefers her own language, food etc.

Not saying there's anything wrong with this arrangement. Just to say think it through- from what I've seen of the particular scenario I've witnessed , you just might be the one making all the concessions, even if she ends up in this country. I'd say what others have said- make sure you get to know her properly first.

Now this might not be a problem for you- but,given that you seem to earn a good salary & live in your parents' home, you're maybe not that great at managing your finances given the level of debt you've mentioned. Maybe get that straightened out first as well before you commit to supporting a partner financially? In fairness to your parents, I could see why they would worry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have made a lot of assumptions. Leading to irrelevant comments. Hence my original posts first line.
Credit card debt exaggerated following what it will cost me to return to Thailand in December. Loan was for a car and 15 months left to pay. Most people have loans, mortgage, commitments or/dependants. I have a mimimal of these. I live with Parents at moment due to house market valuations being artificially held up by low bank of england interest rates. Only those with a house would disagree in denial. But off subject.

I am after visa advice really and the steps towards for research and forward planning.

Thanks for your concern though. Appreciated. I understand how you are trying to help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You have made a lot of assumptions. Leading to irrelevant comments. Hence my original posts first line.
Credit card debt exaggerated following what it will cost me to return to Thailand in December. Loan was for a car and 15 months left to pay. Most people have loans, mortgage, commitments or/dependants. I have a mimimal of these. I live with Parents at moment due to house market valuations being artificially held up by low bank of england interest rates. Only those with a house would disagree in denial. But off subject.

I am after visa advice really and the steps towards for research and forward planning.

Thanks for your concern though. Appreciated. I understand how you are trying to help. Thanks.

With due respect, why come on an immigration forum giving everyone your personal details and then in the next breath "don't comment on them"?

Why not stick to the visa requirements and omit the personal stuff?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Responsible visa advice will also encourage you to understand the weaknesses in potential visa applications as viewed by the UKBA. As such, the comments made on this thread are not irrelevant.
The perspectives given on this forum will help you make your application more robust. Try not to take them personally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fair comments. Advice appreciated. I've as little as relevant info as needed regarding determining what right visa options apply to me. It is all just for info though in advance so I know what I 'could' be getting myself into. What I mean by my OP first sentence was please don't give me relationship (agony aunt) advice. That is all. Please keep it pertaining to the subject of a VISA while taking in what I have said. I do greatly appreciate all you replies and the time taken to do so. Thank you everyone so far.

The Visa requirement advice I can get on general threads but some useful advice that makes sense given here. Thank you.

Every relationship is different and hope you can see I aint an old man with ability to just run to Thailand and live their 6 months or more. My job doesn't allow it either. So on that regards I need her with me asap. But yes early VERY days yet. If it worked out... yes I would prefer a marriage in UK. Sure she would still want one with her family in Thailand. I just wanted to know regarding keeping option open to marry in church in UK. So thanks on advising on the fiancee visa for this.

Regarding her child. Questions i would have to ask her. Something extra to look into. If married in UK I guess then would be the time to legally adopt her child unless this is automatic then?! Best not doing before as I think I understand if we split up after in thai law I would still be her father and have to provide for her.

I do understand regarding having a baby with her. I think she'd want one sooner rather than later to tie me down so I can not run away. We are similar ages. Both money and looks wise she will find me a big catch. As long as she isnt attracted to thais only or has a thai husband/bf. I have read about peopke being married for years before reakising she was already married to a thai. Prob who she introduced as her brother. I also read Isaan wonen have to be married by 20. But this is just background. I diverse. I ain't after an agony aunt. I don't need one lol. Can't stereotype. Every relationship and person is unique.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks Modzy. I am hearing you. I never could see myself in a relationship with a women that has a previous child. I honestly don't know why I feel different on this. I am only assuming she would want her child here with her. I know what your saying re:6 months etc. I know it makes sense. The hard part for me is being apart. Rather than together and getting to really know another, understanding and accepting our different cultures and learning obe anothers language together. I hate the thought of having to send her money for support. It is something I could easier do with her with me. If I am sending her money I cant save so much for flights to go back and be with her either. And it leads to suspision and lack of trust. Not a dig this but many failed stories I am sure are of bar girls being sent support money by men over twice there age.
I am on the same wave length regarding photos and passports.
Are the pay slips just to show my earnings or proof of me supporting her?
I agree regarding living arrangements. My parents have 2 spare bedrooms. But I can't see them letting her stay there. Who knows. I was thinking a short term rent somewhere while we test waters together.
Anyway this is all just research. Forward thinking. But best asked so i would know what i would be getting myself ibto if real and was to happen. Best prepared.
You don't have to show that you're supporting them when you apply, just that you will be able to support them when they arrive in the UK. Pay slips are just to show your earnings.

As for housing, your parents' house would be fine so long as they are fine with it. It could be fine on a very temporary basis while the 3 of you find a place of your own to live in. Or you could rent on a short-term basis if you are fine with the associated costs. Just have a workable plan.

Also, you could look into a student visa for her to study English over here. I don't know the requirements or if a child can be brought. I think she has to have a certain level of English proficiency. If she can do this, it would give you a chance to test things out before making a bigger commitment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't have to show that you're supporting them when you apply, just that you will be able to support them when they arrive in the UK. Pay slips are just to show your earnings.

As for housing, your parents' house would be fine so long as they are fine with it. It could be fine on a very temporary basis while the 3 of you find a place of your own to live in. Or you could rent on a short-term basis if you are fine with the associated costs. Just have a workable plan.

Also, you could look into a student visa for her to study English over here. I don't know the requirements or if a child can be brought. I think she has to have a certain level of English proficiency. If she can do this, it would give you a chance to test things out before making a bigger commitment.
Modzy I have really appreciated your help. Thank you.
It is good to know what 'I may' have to get myself into.
Best to know before I take it too far.
I've OCD when it comes to researching ahead :lol:
But I will research proper as though I was carrying it out.
Make for good preparation.
Early days but the Cambridge Key test for English (looking at venues now) and Passport App are two things to consider on my visit back to her.
It would certainly help ascertain if she is genuine about any future development or has cold feet. Same again in regards to me I suppose.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think your queries are being covered... although you need to be mindful of the process you may have to face when dealing with immigration in the future, I think you should focus on establishing a relationship first. You seem to have a few things you are weary of yourself...

When I first looked into all of this for my husband to be in 2010, at the time I was surprised that I was expected to evidence a relationship from the beginning when I didn't even know we would get into anything serious never mind have him join me in the UK!

For now, keep proof of contact and enjoy getting to know her and her child.

·
Registered
217 Posts
First of all, I am not being high-and-mighty or judging you or your GF. I don't judge people especially those I don't know.

I don't think you have to be defensive about having a Thai GF. It does not make you an idiot or a loser. In the end, it is down to your own judgement or lack of it and the individual you are about to invest emotionally and financially with regardless of her race. However, taking some good advice on board when you are madly in love could be very useful. We all have been blind in love when we think we are so sensible and wise at some point!

I am Thai British and my husband is English. We have been together for over twelve years, working hard, paying UK taxes each year and claiming no benefits. I have spent a lot of my free time on a Thai forum helping Thai expats in the UK with general stuff excluding visa and benefits. So, by accident, I have observed quite a few couples' emotional and physical journey from Thailand to the UK. I would still like to think that for every bad story told, there are also five happy ones untold!

VISA:

- Once you have known each other long enough from first meeting, Skype, Line and phone calls and gathered sufficient evidence, you can start off small by getting her to visit you in the UK for a month. This should be easy if you are her sponsor and she has a permanent job / business in Thailand. The fact that she has a child in Thailand should help this, IMHO.

- Don't get married or have a child in order to get into the UK before you are REALLY sure about each other. I have sadly seen several posts by Thai brides who want to know about getting divorced without any solid reasons, as soon as their imigration status allows them to be in the UK without the needs for the husbands! The posts make me sick.

- Spousal settlement visa will cost less than fiancé settlement visa in the long run. Your GF can work right away on spousal visa, too.

- Your GF needs to have the sole responsibility over her child so the child can go abroad or emigrate to the UK. If the divorce paper (Kor Ror 6 / คร.6) does not specify that she has the sole custody, then she will need her ex's consent. If he refuses, it could get expensive. If she was never married to the child's father, then it is easy; but she still needs the office where she and the child are registered to issue Por Kor 14 (ปค. 14). She needs two witnesses for this.

RELATIONSHIP & MONEY:

- Manage the financial expectations. You NEED to tell her that £40K per year gross income, by no means, means you are rich. She may need money-management skills and learn to say no. Very often, once friends and relatives know that you have a Farang BF or husband, they will borrow or begs for money and likely they will pay anything back. Don't give her too much to start with. Maybe giving nothing at all for a while is a good test.

- Get to know her and especially HER FAMILY first. It is important to learn about their financial expectations. If you want to do this quickly, you can ask your GF to talk to her parents about สินสอด (sin-sod) or brideprice (I prefer to call it milk money) and if they also expect her to send money home on a regular basis on top of the milk money. YOU NEED THE FINANCIAL AGREEMENTS FROM THE BEGINNING or you will have some serious conflicts over and as a result of this!

Milk money is a combination of money and gold or just money and can be high. Generally, it is £5,000 to £xxx,xxx, depending on the bride's beauty, success, education and family background. It is a tradition; Thai men have to deal with this, too. I would not call it selling a daughter, if it is sensible. Sensible parents like mine want nothing or give all or most of it back to the bride and the groom. But you cannot easily reason with the greedy ones or the ones who like to keep up with the Joneses, because if you negotiate a lower amount, they might feel insulted.

- Getting married in Thailand costs next to nothing and takes only an hour or so of your time, if you only do the legal stuff. Wedding receptions or Thai ceremonies can be pricey if keeping up appearances is the case. A wedding reception is £2K minimum.

- If you have a lot to lose, get a pre-nup before the wedding.

- Your GF needs to seriously learn English. If not, apart from the immigration problems, she, and possibly her family, may become totally financially dependent on you, if she does not work. It will not be healthy on your relationship. Most Thai adult children are expected to send home at least £100 a month. It is a tradition, Thailand has no State Pension apart from the £10 per month some OAPs get which buys very little essentials. Sensible parents will not bother their children unless they really are struggling.

Knowing enough English to get by is a good start for any expat. Your GF will be far happier. But if she only chooses to mingle with just Thai expats, she will not improve her English skills; she may be utterly dependent on you. Basically, you need to deal with EVERYTHING. This can be a hard work. Language barrier will always be an issue if not addressed. It is not unusual to see a Thai-British couple socialise separately. Sometimes they end up spending there days off apart.

Last but not least, I think it is possible to know someone so well in a short time. But with language barrier, different backgrounds, thoughts, ideas, beliefs and maybe expectations, how can you be sure? It is easier to like someone when they don't talk too much, and I don't mean this to be insulting. An English employee and a good friend of ours also met and fell madly in love with two different wonderfully kind-hearted women in Thailand when they were not looking. The former ended up with an expensive divorce he is still working OT for and a curable STD (the wife dumped him as soon as he paid for her British passport). The latter lost so much money until he found out that his GF had been using multiple SIMs and seeing multiple Farangs at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First of all, I am not being high-and-mighty or judging you or your GF. I don't judge people especially those I don't know.

I don't think you have to be defensive about having a Thai GF. It does not make you an idiot or a loser. In the end, it is down to your own judgement or lack of it and the individual you are about to invest emotionally and financially with regardless of her race. However, taking some good advice on board when you are madly in love could be very useful. We all have been blind in love when we think we are so sensible and wise at some point!

I am Thai British and my husband is English. We have been together for over twelve years, working hard, paying UK taxes each year and claiming no benefits. I have spent a lot of my free time on a Thai forum helping Thai expats in the UK with general stuff excluding visa and benefits. So, by accident, I have observed quite a few couples' emotional and physical journey from Thailand to the UK. I would still like to think that for every bad story told, there are also five happy ones untold!

VISA:

- Once you have known each other long enough from first meeting, Skype, Line and phone calls and gathered sufficient evidence, you can start off small by getting her to visit you in the UK for a month. This should be easy if you are her sponsor and she has a permanent job / business in Thailand. The fact that she has a child in Thailand should help this, IMHO.

- Don't get married or have a child in order to get into the UK before you are REALLY sure about each other. I have sadly seen several posts by Thai brides who want to know about getting divorced without any solid reasons, as soon as their imigration status allows them to be in the UK without the needs for the husbands! The posts make me sick.

- Spousal settlement visa will cost less than fiancé settlement visa in the long run. Your GF can work right away on spousal visa, too.

- Your GF needs to have the sole responsibility over her child so the child can go abroad or emigrate to the UK. If the divorce paper (Kor Ror 6 / คร.6) does not specify that she has the sole custody, then she will need her ex's consent. If he refuses, it could get expensive. If she was never married to the child's father, then it is easy; but she still needs the office where she and the child are registered to issue Por Kor 14 (ปค. 14). She needs two witnesses for this.

RELATIONSHIP & MONEY:

- Manage the financial expectations. You NEED to tell her that £40K per year gross income, by no means, means you are rich. She may need money-management skills and learn to say no. Very often, once friends and relatives know that you have a Farang BF or husband, they will borrow or begs for money and likely they will pay anything back. Don't give her too much to start with. Maybe giving nothing at all for a while is a good test.

- Get to know her and especially HER FAMILY first. It is important to learn about their financial expectations. If you want to do this quickly, you can ask your GF to talk to her parents about สินสอด (sin-sod) or brideprice (I prefer to call it milk money) and if they also expect her to send money home on a regular basis on top of the milk money. YOU NEED THE FINANCIAL AGREEMENTS FROM THE BEGINNING or you will have some serious conflicts over and as a result of this!

Milk money is a combination of money and gold or just money and can be high. Generally, it is £5,000 to £xxx,xxx, depending on the bride's beauty, success, education and family background. It is a tradition; Thai men have to deal with this, too. I would not call it selling a daughter, if it is sensible. Sensible parents like mine want nothing or give all or most of it back to the bride and the groom. But you cannot easily reason with the greedy ones or the ones who like to keep up with the Joneses, because if you negotiate a lower amount, they might feel insulted.

- Getting married in Thailand costs next to nothing and takes only an hour or so of your time, if you only do the legal stuff. Wedding receptions or Thai ceremonies can be pricey if keeping up appearances is the case. A wedding reception is £2K minimum.

- If you have a lot to lose, get a pre-nup before the wedding.

- Your GF needs to seriously learn English. If not, apart from the immigration problems, she, and possibly her family, may become totally financially dependent on you, if she does not work. It will not be healthy on your relationship. Most Thai adult children are expected to send home at least £100 a month. It is a tradition, Thailand has no State Pension apart from the £10 per month some OAPs get which buys very little essentials. Sensible parents will not bother their children unless they really are struggling.

Knowing enough English to get by is a good start for any expat. Your GF will be far happier. But if she only chooses to mingle with just Thai expats, she will not improve her English skills; she may be utterly dependent on you. Basically, you need to deal with EVERYTHING. This can be a hard work. Language barrier will always be an issue if not addressed. It is not unusual to see a Thai-British couple socialise separately. Sometimes they end up spending there days off apart.

Last but not least, I think it is possible to know someone so well in a short time. But with language barrier, different backgrounds, thoughts, ideas, beliefs and maybe expectations, how can you be sure? It is easier to like someone when they don't talk too much, and I don't mean this to be insulting. An English employee and a good friend of ours also met and fell madly in love with two different wonderfully kind-hearted women in Thailand when they were not looking. The former ended up with an expensive divorce he is still working OT for and a curable STD (the wife dumped him as soon as he paid for her British passport). The latter lost so much money until he found out that his GF had been using multiple SIMs and seeing multiple Farangs at the same time.
I had started writing a long reply to this… then PC crashes. OK starting again lol but making shorter.
I understand spouse visa would work out cheaper. But I want marriage in a UK church as most people would. We can marry after in front of her parents. Something I need to look more into. Spouse visa or fiancée. What if I just brought her over on holiday visa for month. Cost involved? She may hate the british weather too much. Every Thai I have met shiver with air con less than 29C. We in the UK like air con at 21C. The weather may be too much. But if holiday visa not costing anything no money lost. Followed by a spouse visa, married in Thailand and maybe vows here would be best. Wondering what the vows thing in UK entails now and if in a church. Anyway getting hypothetical and carried out. I have an idea now anyway and all a little clearer as to possible options if got that far.
I do believe most failed stories involve people with large age gaps. No offence intended. But I saw a 70year old man with his tongue down an 18 year old bar girls throat in NEP. I didn’t like it. I paid the bill and moved on. People with such an age gap are fooling themselves. Money is love in Thailand I know. But more likely the Thai is with the Farang for money to support her family back home inc her Thai BF/husband. Less likely with me but I know she may already be married or in love and not told me. Still possible. I have been told many times I am the only man. I have questioned her about other Farangs sending her money. I have given her nothing in 10 days since last seen her. I questioned that I read Isaan women have to be married by 20. She is 27. She says she is not married and that I am the only one for her. I have my eyes wide open. Only using LINE messaging at present. She told be she has moved back to the North East and waiting for my return. I have given her nothing and she has not asked for anything. She posted photos of herself and child at the recent festival 2 days ago. Today she sent further photos of her daughter today on her birthday after I share photos of my family.
Thais I heard never accept farangs into their society. Only foreigners they accept being Chinese or Korean. The Sin-sod I read isn’t even a Thai tradition. Certainly shouldn’t be forced on a Farang. Another common story I read was the Sin-sod in vast majority of cases is returned in full to the groom. Another post regarding the subject is needed another day perhaps.
I have nothing to lose but my heart. I am not on the housing market yet. Other items are material and not invested. The rest are memories of a good life.
I understand she needs to learn a basic understanding of English for the visa and have the test done. She said she would learn it for me without asking after I repeatedly told her I am going to learn Thai for her.
I understand the family part. I understand family will be the most important thing to her. Having a family with her will move her closer to me but I’ll never mean more to her than her family. I understand the pension part and marrying her is marrying her family. If she became part of me I know I have to take her of her family also. It is the right thing do to. I have to follow and accept her culture if I do love her. Otherwise I can’t really love her now can I.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CONTINUED...................

Regards you last paragraph… I totally agree. I am not an idiot. I think I am getting to understand the Thai alien culture. You’ll laugh at that statement I am sure and think I haven’t a clue really. Lol. I don’t know her enough. All I know is from the feeling I had with her and the experience. I don’t know if it would turn out like your examples. Not at this time. But I am not afraid to try. I am not afraid to understand. I am prepared. I am open albeit with open eyes. She knew that the first conversation I had with her till the last. If she is trying to play me she’ll know it is not worth the effort by now. Otherwise I guess I’ll meet a fatal end as the only way she’d be able to get anything from me, so perhaps I’ll not see Christmas. BUT ‘if’ we are both serious about one another and ‘if’ we do get along…. We ‘could’ be special together. I’ll not get trapped. Don’t worry about me. Only thing bad that could happen to me is a said contract on me or broken heart. I could gain so much more though. You roll the die, you take your chance. The biggest prepare, accept and gasp their culture, try to learn the language, still to a girl your age. Then you are just hoping she isn’t playing a game on you with a Thai other half.

:jaw:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.