Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, though not British (I am Canadian/Irish and my husband is Irish) we have a home and have been living in Glasgow for the last 10 years.
Neither of us wish to live in a post-brexit Britain (even pre-brexit is proving to be a bit of a challenge). So, after a year of working on a temp contract with the Council of Europe in France, we are now eyeing up Barcelona for our new home.
Neither of us are near to retirement age (though I am closer than he! lol), I work in Finance (credit management mostly) and he in retail. I speak French and can read Spanish, but he, thus far, hasn't managed to grasp much.
So, once we throw our three small dogs into the mix, and possibly 2 kidults who want to follow once we're set up, we are wondering, has the brexodus started?

My worry is if we wait too long we'll be in competition with a lot of other anglophones for , what I presume , is a finite job market.
Has anyone here had experience with professional life in Barcelona? or if working in Finance how do the salaries compare with the uk vs cost of living.

I have registered with a few recruitement agencies and I am hoping to find something in the next couple months to do a test drive and look for family/dog suitable accomodation. Any guidance/tips/words of encouragement or warning much appreciated!
If you are in Barcelona I am a keen baker so once me and my kitchenaid get settled I can reward your kindness with some cake!! :tea:

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If it was me I would not commit to anything without having a job offer first and unless there was a specific reason it has to be Barcelona I'd also have to seriously think about broadening the search to other areas both in Spain and elsewhere.

I mean if you have experience in international organisations and that is what you wish to continue then it is already a limited market and the recruitment processes can tend to be a bit slow.
Experience certainly helps as does French so I'm guessing you are already streets ahead of most who may be thinking of a panic move.

·
Registered
15,809 Posts
May I ask why Spain (18% unemployment, average salary €1,718 in 2016) rather than one of the other 26 EU countries?

Not that it's a bad idea, I'm just curious!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts