Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am new to this thread and I would love some help. My family and I are from South Africa but have decided to move to Melbourne - Australia - we are looking for a safer home for our two beautiful daughter's (2 and 3 years old).

I actually have an Australian passport (from my father), but I have only been once on holiday when I was 16. But it left a lasting impression on me. My family have Greek and Italian heritage and we are looking for all these elements in our move.

Firstly I wanted to know which areas are more 'upper' class. I know of Toorak but that is a bit out of our budget so I was wondering if there are areas slightly below the Toorak price bracket but with a similar cosmopolitan/cafe culture.

I have been looking at a private school called Alphington Grammar School and I was wondering what those areas are like? Alphington/Kew/Belwyn/Ivanhoe?

Also, since I have an Australian passport and my daughters have South African passports will they be paying International school fees?

Are there any other co-ed schools that are more geared to Italian/Greek children?

Thanks all for your help!!!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi ElleZR,

unfortunately you cannot apply for citizenship by descent for your daughters if you (as their mom) spent less than two years in Australia. Refer to the Australian Citizenship webpage for details. To quote:

If your responsible parent became an Australian citizen by descent, he or she must have been present in Australia for periods totalling two years at some time in their life.
This means you need to apply for a partner visa for your husband in which you can include your kids as well. The costs for the visa are currently 3,085AUD for your partner plus 770AUD per child (Source: Visa Pricing Table). Processing will take multiple months as well, so it would be a good idea to plan the move in a year or so - which gives you more than enough time to research schools and prepare everything for the move. If your kids have permanent residency (PR) or citizenship they don't have to pay international school fees.

I don't live in Melbourne, so I cannot answer your questions about good areas to live and suitable schools. We used Streetadvisor a lot when we initially moved to Sydney. It may be helpful for you as well!

Cheers,
Monika

1 - 3 of 3 Posts