Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is going to sound strange so please bare with me.

My girlfriend (School teacher in the UK), is applying for several International School jobs that are being advertised in the US requesting English school teachers.

My question is: because I am simply "the boyfriend" would I be allowed to accompany her if she was to get any of the jobs she is applying for? These jobs are for an average of 3 yrs with the ability to extend if so required.

I am disabled (paraplegic) after an accident when I was in the British Air Force and therefore I get more than enough money to live on - I would require NO money from the government whatsoever

I am totally new to this so if this scenario sounds ridiculous I apologise in advance.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
This question is neither strange nor new.
Unfortunately USCIS does not consider anything but classic husband-wife married scenario as couple.
Please look into the day-to-day and medical care you require a) is it available at potential geographic locations she is looking at and b) how can you be covered by insurance and to what extend?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi,

This is going to sound strange so please bare with me.

My girlfriend (School teacher in the UK), is applying for several International School jobs that are being advertised in the US requesting English school teachers.

My question is: because I am simply "the boyfriend" would I be allowed to accompany her if she was to get any of the jobs she is applying for? These jobs are for an average of 3 yrs with the ability to extend if so required.

I am disabled (paraplegic) after an accident when I was in the British Air Force and therefore I get more than enough money to live on - I would require NO money from the government whatsoever

I am totally new to this so if this scenario sounds ridiculous I apologise in advance.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
A bf gets nothing extra. Use the VWP for entry and spend at least as long out as you do in.

A co-habiting partner can accompany a non-immigrant visa holder on a B2. You need to prove the cohabiting part to take advantage of this.

A married spouse can accompany a non-immigrant visa holder with the derivative visa.

The one to avoid is marrying a permanent resident. That's the nightmare category.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your valued input.

As expected I did not think I had any chance of accompanying her full-time (if she was successful in obtaining one of the jobs).

Does anybody know if these rules also apply to jobs in Canada? We are exploring the possibilities of either America or Canada - I broke my back in Canada, and would love to return there one day - despite what happened to me I have very fond memories of the place.

Thanks guys,
Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,

I was wondering where your girlfriend is finding information on teaching jobs in the US..?? I am a qualified primary school teacher and would love to see what opportunities lie in America with regards to teaching...

Thank you in advance,

Elizabeth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts