Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

You have probably heard this one a million times and my sincere apologies if you have but here goes...

My b/f and I have been together 6 months now (so marriage is not an option at this point). He is relocating to Indianapolis, USA on a L2 visa and wants me to go with him. We are both UK residents. I have scoured the internet about visas on numerous sites and forums and I am finding the whole thing incredibly stressful to try and get my head around. Can anyone help with what type of visa I would need to apply for or if this is at all possible for me to go with him at all? The thought of him going and me having to stay here is breaking my heart (I know I sound like a stupid teenager but I am actually a 30 year old grown woman believe it or not!).

We are living together in rented accommodation (lease runs out in Oct 2015) in the UK but neither of us own property anymore and I read somewhere that me not owning/renting permanent accomodation in the UK could prove a problem as need to prove I will be returning to UK. Only didn't get a long lease on current rented accommodation as we knew he'd be going to the States and I was hoping to move out there with him on the basis we were hoping to start a new life out there. Obviously since looking into visas this is looking highly unlikely me being able to stay out there.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You'll be able to visit from time to time, but it's unlikely that you'll qualify for a visa to just up and stay with him for the duration of his contract.

·
Administrator
49,871 Posts
To get any sort of "connected" visa, you'd have to be married. The US doesn't recognize de facto relationships for visa purposes, even, so a six month relationship just isn't going to fly.

Best you could do would be a B1 visa, but you have to be extremely careful with that. It's only good for "half time" in the US - i.e. no more than 180 days in a year . You wouldn't be able to work in any event (and they can get sticky about even volunteer work you aren't paid for).

Easier in the long run, perhaps, to try to make short, but frequent visits over using the ESTA/VWP and being sure to have proof of your return date (work, or other commitments back home).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

L2 = L1 dependent, let's assume he will be on L1
The option B2 cohabitating partner is available. If a six months relationship is being considered is a decision the immigration official will make. The employer should request it with the L1. Please consider that a denial will mean you cannot travel via ESTA anymore.
Be aware that the B2 co-habiting visa does NOT allow you to work.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Maybe you can apply at the local college or university to enrol as an international student? (but that means you need to have $$$).

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have the funds to not work then an ESTA will take you in for 3 months at a time. I had a friend store my possessions so I had a home address, had my bank account as evidence that I could support myself during my stay without working and a return ticket and didn't have any problem. I went back and forth for two or three 3-month visits before immigration said that they considered me in a serious relationship and I should apply for a visa next time.

Other than that I highly recommend Skype and Viber for texts/calls!

And don't worry I think we all sound like teenagers sooner or later - long distance relationships aren't fun.

Good luck

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
If you have the funds to not work then an ESTA will take you in for 3 months at a time.
That's incorrect. The Visa Waiver Program permits eligible individuals to travel to the United States without a visa (but with ESTA permission) in order to be considered for entry for tourist stays up to 90 days. It's not 3 months -- there is a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts