Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I let my friend borrow few cheques for me so she can enroll her kids and use others as guarantee for her accommodation and one is to guarantee that she will pay her one friend. Now the cheques are deposited and of course theres no fund. and shes not answering my calls anymore. Anything i can do legally so the responsibility of the debts will not go on me?

Thanks,
Samer

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Your cheques, your signature, your problem.

You can try telling the police but their response is likely to be that you issued cheques without the funds to have them honoured. Its a story I am sure they have heard before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They will go after the person who gave them the cheques. If she gave the cheques to a certain person or entity in return for goods and services, the legal obligations falls on her. Not you.

However your bank will have to report the bounced cheques to central bank unless you explain your situation. As you obviously cannot control the use of a banking instrument given to you they might close the account. The banks has discretionary powers.

If she legs it, and if the aggrieved party lodges a Police report, you are likely to be called up to rule out collusion. But the debt does not fall on you if there is no collusion.

Hi, I let my friend borrow few cheques for me so she can enroll her kids and use others as guarantee for her accommodation and one is to guarantee that she will pay her one friend. Now the cheques are deposited and of course theres no fund. and shes not answering my calls anymore. Anything i can do legally so the responsibility of the debts will not go on me?

Thanks,
Samer

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
They will go after the person who gave them the cheques. If she gave the cheques to a certain person or entity in return for goods and services, the legal obligations falls on her. Not you.

However your bank will have to report the bounced cheques to central bank unless you explain your situation. As you obviously cannot control the use of a banking instrument given to you they might close the account. The banks has discretionary powers.

If she legs it, and if the aggrieved party lodges a Police report, you are likely to be called up to rule out collusion. But the debt does not fall on you if there is no collusion.
Total and utter crap.

The offence is writing out a cheque (as in your signature is on the bottom of it) with insufficient funds, so "bouncing" the cheque, and the person who bounced it is the signatory, no matter what it was used for.

Also it's not the bank who reports the cheque it is the person or organisation to whom it was made out to.

I do wish people wouldn't spout complete and utter rubbish on this and any forum.

You obviously don't know the UAE Law.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not true. If he did it in good faith. And there is no offence to stop someone helping others with a cheque. I am stating this in the context of UAE. Note the comments about collusion.

You might want to read the comments carefully. The bank addressing the bounced check is separate from the aggrieved party who is not paid making the report.

This sort of misinformation is not helping anyone.

Total and utter crap.

The offence is writing out a cheque (as in your signature is on the bottom of it) with insufficient funds, so "bouncing" the cheque, and the person who bounced it is the signatory, no matter what it was used for.

Also it's not the bank who reports the cheque it is the person or organisation to whom it was made out to.

I do wish people wouldn't spout complete and utter rubbish on this and any forum.

You obviously don't know the UAE Law.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
7,077 Posts
Not true. If he did it in good faith. And there is no offence to stop someone helping others with a cheque. I am stating this in the context of UAE. Note the comments about collusion.

You might want to read the comments carefully. The bank addressing the bounced check is separate from the aggrieved party who is not paid making the report.

Hi,
I really think you are wrong.
Whoever has received a cheque that subsequently bounces can open a police case.
They won't care what name is at the bottom of the cheque - they simply want their money for goods/services provided.
Police will contact person that owns the bank account to find out when they will be paying the person/company that cheque was written out to.
If no funds are forthcoming - then person who signed cheque could face a police case.
I would never give a blank cheque to a "friend"!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

In 15 years living here I have NEVER heard of this - at all!

Whoever writes the cheque is liable for it. You should never give a cheque to someone else.

IF the police were to look into the whys etc, you'd need evidence to prove it, but the likelyhood is they won't care, cheque bounced, person whose cheque it is, is liable.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Look, the "offence" is signing a cheque without sufficient funds in your account.

THAT IS THE OFFENCE

The judge asks, "Is this your signature", if it is you say yes and YOU ARE GUILTY.

falcon01, I have no idea what planet you're on, but me, choc and steve have been here for a combined total of around 40 years, you've been here 6 months.

Kindly stop spreading fake news/fake "facts", get some experience before you give potentially life changing false information to people.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Oh and just to add, banks don't give a monkey's toss about a bounced cheque, they'll still charge you for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lawyer

Thanks,
Samer
Hi Samer. Yes the cheques you issued, you are ultimately legally responsible for. It is a shame that kindness is repaid in this way, and that the law doesn't account for it

Were the cheques for a large amount? Really you should go to a trustworthy lawyer who may be able to help. Either to put your case, or to track down the "friend" and coerce a confession of responsibility.

Good luck and I hope your kindness results in good karma for you with this matter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts