Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born in Liverpool, live in SA, want to return to UK

1K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  JAYNE MCAULIFFE 
#1 ·
what are my chances of returning to the UK from South Africa? I was born in Liverpool in 1962, and would dearly love to go back now. This country was not my choice, and now that I do have a choice its so late in life. Im willing to sell everything to return.

But where do I even start?

#2 ·
Do you have a British passport? What is your heritage? I assume, even if you do not have a British passport, your parents will have been British citizens?

You need to look into whether you are eligible to apply for British citizenship based on being born in Britain to British parents.

If that isn't an option, your next step is to apply for an Ancestry Visa. (you can search this forum for ancestry visa threads and find lots of info).

But first, tell us a bit more about your background so we can help. I am personally not knowledgeable, but one of the senior board members/moderators will be able to help once you give us a bit more background.

all the best.

#6 ·
Unfortunately it is rare to be offered a job whilst still abroad. A lot will depend on the skills you bring and your background.

How you do it, is up to you really. But some ways to consider would be to move to England, rent an Airbnb apartment for the short term. Apply for your national insurance number and start looking for jobs in the area of your choice. Most companies will not call international numbers when recruiting new hires, so having a British mobile and base will be useful. It is a risk, and can be expensive, but like I said, a lot will depend on the kind of job you will be looking for, the skills and experience you bring and your choice of area to live etc.

#7 ·
Some anecdotal evidence for you-a close friend (from South Africa), married a British citizen, moved here to live with him and within 2 months of moving here, she landed her first job.

As for myself, Indian, moved here to be with British spouse, secured a job within 1 month of moving.

Even if you do not secure your dream job, minimum wage jobs are not difficult to find (in big cities), while you look for your dream job, to allow some income to start coming in.

Yes, we did have our husbands as support, but you may have to figure it out based on savings/ any relatives you may still have in England?

#8 ·
ok thanks for your advice.

I have started looking online to see what opportunities exist and what the possibilities are of securing a job in my area of choice. I have received 3 replies, but unfortunately the interviews must be attended in Durban or cape town, which is far away to just pop in for an interview! I am finding out more and more each day thanks to people like yourself who are so helpful

#10 ·
Not at all, though of course you need to be able to support yourself at least initially. Benefits are available but only after a certain amount of time. Do you have any friends or family in the UK? That would help you resettle. As soon as you have an address you can register with a GP and are entitled to NHS services immediately. Also once you have an address you can open a bank account if you do not already have one.

When I initially returned in 1999, I was fifty four years old and was able to get a job fairly quickly. It can be an exciting time for you once you feel confident in making the move.

#11 ·
I have been for a holiday, and since then have thought about it very hard and carefully and am quite convinced that I should make the move. I guess its just what im willing to risk, as I have had an excellent job at the same company for many years and have built up a respectable pension/retirement fund, and do own my own home.

#13 ·
What about taking a 2-3 month sabbatical from your present job? Move to UK with some savings, do the airbnb, NHS registration, National insurance number, interview for a few jobs, see what the market is like and return to SA to tie up lose ends, if all goes well?

#17 ·
Google Air Bnb and search for apartments in whichever part of England you fancy. You can also get an Air BnB app.

It basically gives you the option to rent a whole property, or a room in a larger property, for varying prices and varying lengths of time.

I am based in Yorkshire :) Small town. Husband has a steady job and is from here so moved here with him and luckily found a decent job in the area too.

#19 ·
I think so yes, Air BnB will give you that choice. Air BnB is basically a site where people with spare bedrooms or spare homes, come and advertise. They may advertise it for weekly lets or monthly lets and are usually quite flexible.

Start your search on there and see what you find. Start conversations with the landlords on there etc. Also, landlords receive reviews from people who have stayed with them in the past and that is usually a good indicator of what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.