Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will likely go nowhere and die very soon, but you never know..

I'm a housewife in Abu Dhabi and I'm sooo bored. I'm new here. I see there are groups that sometimes meet up but they all meet up in really far places..off island mostly.

I feel like I have nothing to do, if I didnt have kids I would be staring at the wall all day...not that i'm doing much more than this really. Nothing seems to happen here. It is too hot to go out and I dont drive..

What do you do when you are so bored? I dont like tv and there is nothing else to see on the internet.. I have seen everything there is to see on the internet. It is too hot outside and no one lives near me.. NO ONE.

slowly going crazy..... i know I should get a job but the whole point of moving here was so that I wouldnt have to work and I'm not sure that there are jobs here for me.. I'm very unskilled and unskilled people dont seem to make a fair wage here...it would cost me more to work than to stay at home.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You'll need to get in a car and go places.

If you expect people to come and revolve around your location you will be disappointed.

Not much else anyone can say really. Its up to you get off your whatsit and go somewhere and do something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Now there's a thread title to entice a single man!

I know you said the point of moving is so you don't have to work, so what was your plan when you gave up work? Sit about all day or do all the things you wished you could but didn't have time for?

I can only agree with Twowheelsgood, it's up to you to get off your behind and either find a hobby or a job or you will go crazy. You make your own path in life and live with your own decisions, you say you don't have many qualifications, what about doing some A-levels or a degree (I don't know what qualifications you do and don't have)? It's not like you're short of time like most people who want to do a degree complain about.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Damn, my life seems to be the complete opposite of you! I'm not a housewife and have absolutely NO time on my hands. We should go on one of those house swap shows :D

Why don't you take up a hobby? Read a book, maybe start a book club? You say you are unskilled, is there nothing that you enjoy doing?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
strange minds... i have a toddler and an infant at home with me. my idea with this thread was similar to the one where someone said she was married to an emirate... just that if someone else who is a bored housewife in abu dhabi googles bored housewife in abu dhabi she would find the thread and comment or contact me..

also the suggestion to become skilled is a good one.. i should do that and pamela i would love to trade places for a week or so..

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Don't the toddler and infant keep you occupied the entire day? Join one of those mom's clubs where you meet for play dates, etc.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Life swap UAE, coming soon to a YouTube channel near you.

Starring the strict mistress pamela810 who wields a whip and never stops and the super cute aleleeson who lists her hobbies as watching paint dry and has a penchant for baby wipes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
occupied, but still bored. neither can carry a conversation and one is either breastfeeding, screaming or sleeping while the other is either making a huge mess, being very loud and fussing or looking at tv. i feel bad for the toddler as she is also bored but soon she starts school. Being bored with kids is possible, they arent very mentally simulating. The toddler is so more than the newborn but I dont have time to do things with her that would be somewhat interesting in any case.

so yes, occupied but still bored. i would love to meet other moms but every single meet up I can find is off island and very far.... I have been to one or two but I also have the nationality issue. They tend to label these groups all along national lines and the ones that arent labeled along national lines have nothing going on. So there is the american one, the british one and german one... those 3 I have tried and each time (least so in the british group though) I got the "youre not our nationality" cold shoulder. Not blaming others as I'm probably also just not that good at being social but to go so very far to meet people who basically reject you because you arent their nationality is not encouraging. And there is no group for my nationality.

In one group after I came to the meet up they posted in the group that they had someone join today who is not XXXX nationality and they would like to remind everyone that this group is only for XXXX ONLY and that other nationalities have their own groups and we XXXXs need a place to unwind and just take about XXXX things among ourselves.

----
also lol @ the Rascal and yes if I could learn to drive I would also have more skills because I see that some people become real estate agents based on being able to drive and being on a wife visa.

Don't the toddler and infant keep you occupied the entire day? Join one of those mom's clubs where you meet for play dates, etc.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
In one group after I came to the meet up they posted in the group that they had someone join today who is not XXXX nationality and they would like to remind everyone that this group is only for XXXX ONLY and that other nationalities have their own groups and we XXXXs need a place to unwind and just take about XXXX things among ourselves.
And people think men are more racist....

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
occupied, but still bored. neither can carry a conversation and one is either breastfeeding, screaming or sleeping while the other is either making a huge mess, being very loud and fussing or looking at tv. i feel bad for the toddler as she is also bored but soon she starts school. Being bored with kids is possible, they arent very mentally simulating. The toddler is so more than the newborn but I dont have time to do things with her that would be somewhat interesting in any case.

so yes, occupied but still bored. i would love to meet other moms but every single meet up I can find is off island and very far.... I have been to one or two but I also have the nationality issue. They tend to label these groups all along national lines and the ones that arent labeled along national lines have nothing going on. So there is the american one, the british one and german one... those 3 I have tried and each time (least so in the british group though) I got the "youre not our nationality" cold shoulder. Not blaming others as I'm probably also just not that good at being social but to go so very far to meet people who basically reject you because you arent their nationality is not encouraging. And there is no group for my nationality.

----
also lol @ the Rascal and yes if I could learn to drive I would also have more skills because I see that some people become real estate agents based on being able to drive and being on a wife visa.
I feel bad for you! You don't need to crazy racist desperate housewives around you anyway. You're better off being alone, trust me. Just get started on a hobby. Why don't you list some of the things that you like to do and maybe one of us can help you with suggestions?

@Rascal, Strict Pamela?? Seriously??!...and I am nobody's mistress! :boxing:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I will try with the hobby thing but it is not straight forward with a newborn. It will be okay though.. I need to make friends yes, I think I need to start those classes like baby massage and baby swimming.. not for the baby but just to meet people. After July the 12th.. I'm counting down the days. That is when the almost 4 year old starts a summer dance and school thing we enrolled in.

It will work, I'm still new here, hopefully with time I will meet others who live on island who are also bored. Thanks for all the advice though. And my hobbies are soap making, cooking type things..and at the moment I'm trying to get better at German, I understand German and Germans mostly understand me but my German is not grammatically correct or so ..so that is the skill I am working on in case anyone else who is bored is into something similar.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I guess the fact that it is Ramadan and summer does not help. Whenevr I have moved to a new city, I have found a social circle through work colleagues + hobbies.
My wife has met people through our son - play dates, school, and generally meeting people at the playground (though in our building it looks like everyone has outsourced parenting to their maids even on weekends).

Can totally relate to the racism thing. In our son's school there are cliques as well. My wife gets pi$$ed but eventually ignores them. Doesn't help that a lot of fellow Indians think that being friendly with other Indians is beneath their status :)

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
. In one group after I came to the meet up they posted in the group that they had someone join today who is not XXXX nationality and they would like to remind everyone that this group is only for XXXX ONLY and that other nationalities have their own groups and we XXXXs need a place to unwind and just take about XXXX things among ourselves. ----

What a load of b*tches! Pam's right, better to be on your own than to be with people like that. I think you'll meet other mums through your four year old and that will help a lot but I think your biggest issue is not being able to drive. Perhaps that's what you should try to focus on. I know it's difficult with the baby, but get a license and you'll get your freedom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.