Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my now french fiance are preparing documents for our marriage at the mairie in a small town called Saint Clar. As someone who likes to plan ahead, I went ahead and took a quick look at what documents I'll have to present to border control when I arrive back to France after I get my spouse visa in the States.
However, I have only two concerns and I rather not make a mistake once I arrive. I understand that I need to provide enough money depending on what situation I'm in and how long I will stay but is it okay to show under me and my fiances' joint account we will have 4.5k together even though we plan on staying forever? Considering Saint Clar is a pretty cheap small town I don't think it'll be a problem but just to make sure.
Of course, he would already have the job that he currently has and wishes to cover my expenses as we will be living together in a pretty cheap apartment.

Yet at the same time I read that the following nationals who are exempt is with a visa endorsement known as "“FRENCH FAMILY” endorsement ", What exactly is this and what does that mean? :confused:

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
I went ahead and took a quick look at what documents I'll have to present to border control when I arrive back to France after I get my spouse visa in the States.
You can't get a spouse visa until you're married, and at that point you do not need to show your finances. The spouse of a French citizen gets the closest thing there is to an automatic visa.

If you're asking about getting a visa to go to France prior to getting married there, you may have to show sufficient financial resources for your intended period of stay on whatever sort of visa (probably a "visitor" visa) - though only if you're going over on a long-stay visa. It's possible to go on a Schengen visa (basically the three months they allow you as a tourist), get married, and then return to the US to get your spouse visa to return and set up housekeeping.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts