Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a citizen of the U.S. I previously worked in France as a younger man and I liked the environment of Paris and Mimizan. Now, older, with the U.S. in "fiscal and emotional lockdown" plagued by religious fanaticism, I am thinking about having options.

I speak French fluently, have some means though not wealthy. I would like to find a suitable rental between Lyon and Paris to determine if a relocation for part of the year would be practical.

I currently work as an R.N. in critical care and may retire in about 10 to 15 years.

J'envoie mes meilleurs voeux chaleureux a ceux d'entre vous qui respondent.

I send my gratitude to those who respond dudes and dudettes

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
Odd you should mention Mimizan. It was just recently on the tv news (last night or Saturday, I think it was). Check the France1 website for the 20h news if you want to see the old homestead. (I think it was follow-up reporting on the wind and rain storms of a couple of years ago.)

Your options for coming to live in france are going to be a whole lot better if you can find a job here and work for the last 5 to 10 years of your career - that will build you enough credits to be covered for the health system here in your retirement.

The sticking point may be re-qualification as a nurse. The system here for nursing is quite a bit different and though you have the language needed, they may expect you to do considerable re-training. Don't know many of the details, but I do know there was an association several years ago of US qualified nurses who could not work in France due to qualifications issues. Haven't heard of them recently and am not sure of the current situation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Mimizan holds many fun memories. I wonder if the old pillboxes shifted during the storms?

My goal at this point is to locate a rental closer to Paris than Lyon for a few months to "look around" and meet with some hospital reps. I do appreciate you pointing out the differences in Nurses work there and here, as well as new names for drugs many of which sound alike. If I don't work I can claim residence here for Medicare when I retire with a supplement that should work I am hoping.

I think my goal further down the road is to purchase a home in that same area though I have not claimed this as final. I enjoy art and art history, that said a warmer climate is preferable.

Thanks again..........

Gary

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
I may have misunderstood you, but don't count on Medicare for anything if you're considering retiring in France (or anywhere overseas). It simply doesn't cover you outside the US.

If you're looking for warmer weather, this probably isn't the year to come over. There was snow and cold as far south as Marseille. Admittedly not Alaska grade snow and cold - but in a land where snowfall is rare, even a few inches of that stuff can bring the country to a halt.

For a location between Paris and Lyon, take a look at Auxerre. Have been there several times for the ham radio show they used to run down there and it seems like a really nice town - smack in the middle of wine country, which obviously has its advantages!
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.