Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
does anybody here have information about boats? I've been reading for hours but I still don't quite understand how it works. If I would live on the Canary Islands and want to fish with a motorboat (up to 5 meters long) in the ocean, what exactly would I need because as I understand I don't need a license but some certificate or something else?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hello,
does anybody here have information about boats? I've been reading for hours but I still don't quite understand how it works. If I would live on the Canary Islands and want to fish with a motorboat (up to 5 meters long) in the ocean, what exactly would I need because as I understand I don't need a license but some certificate or something else?
Thanks for any info.
Ah yes.... the Spanish way with boats. As the ex-owner of a nice little 27ft sloop and for 7 years a whole boatyard on the Tamar in Devon to go with it [my shipwright used to tell me "You didn't need to buy a boatyard in order to go sailing", because I never had time], I had entertained a fond hope of going afloat again in warm waters.

Then I read up on the Spainish rules and regs re boats. All fall down. No way. An absolute nightmare of papeles and taxes. I will give you two examples.

1] If your boat is ashore in a marina in Valencia province, you are not allowed to get into the interior. You are not allowed to do any work on the exterior except the very basic, such as antifouling. Exit yotties from Valencian marinas to marinas in other provinces.

2] Your tender/dinghy is classed as a separate vessel and attracts registration, paperwork and tax on that account. As you know, a tender is really part of a boat's equipment not a vessel in its own right.

Have a delve in the Royal Yachting Assoc and The Cruising Assoc. Also, see if there are details in the archives of Practical Boat Owner, Yachting Monthly and Yachting World.

Meanwhile, I will ask someone who was a professional skipper for many years, based in Mallorca, if he can throw up some leads.

But suffice to say that the info I read, which I would pass on to you if I can find it, put me off 100%.

I understand that even shore based sea fishing involves papeles and fees.

Banditos!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.