Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool! If that was the most depressing day of the year then it looks like rest of it is going to be a belter:D

Doggy
Yeah, I have a good feeling about 2010, it's un número bonito as the Spanish say.
By the way are you saying two thousand and ten or twenty ten?? Seems like people can't agree...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Definitely two thousand and ten!!!!:D (I think Catherine Tate on the radio was commenting that the Beeb refers to it as twenty ten though - just doesn't sound right to me).

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yep, and it just sounds better to me, but logically it should be two thousand and ten...
.....but should it??? It was only when we hit 2000 that we started to mention "thousand" when refering to the years - in the 1900s we always said nineteen 0 one - nineteen sixty four etc etc..!!

Heck thats difficult to put in writing, but you know what I mean lol

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Definitely two thousand and ten!!!!:D (I think Catherine Tate on the radio was commenting that the Beeb refers to it as twenty ten though - just doesn't sound right to me).
I remember having a discussion with some of my English (as in Spanish people learning English) students quite a while ago - in 2007 (two thousand & seven!) I think

I said at the time that I had no idea how we'd be saying 2010 - we'd have to wait & see what the BBC said!

I think living in Spain, saying two thousand & ten might be clearer - I have to say I don't like the sound of twenty ten, though I can see the logic behind it

·
Registered
843 Posts
We discussed this in my Spanish class last week, and the teacher was adamant that in Spain we should say 'dos mil diez'. She said that 'viente diez' doesn't exist. In fact, google translate doesn't translate it properly if you put in twenty ten but does for two thousand ten

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.....but should it??? It was only when we hit 2000 that we started to mention "thousand" when refering to the years - in the 1900s we always said nineteen 0 one - nineteen sixty four etc etc..!!

Heck thats difficult to put in writing, but you know what I mean lol

Jo xxx
Ha ha
I changed the post immediately after I'd written it. I was getting so confused. :confused:This is what I meant to say, so I agree with you :confused2:

logically it should be twenty ten, but two thousand and ten sounds better to me ...

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We discussed this in my Spanish class last week, and the teacher was adamant that in Spain we should say 'dos mil diez'. She said that 'viente diez' doesn't exist. In fact, google translate doesn't translate it properly if you put in twenty ten but does for two thousand ten
It doesn't exist in Spanish. They've never said the years in that way :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.