Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quite shocked when reading this in the paper ... Ronnie James Dio, former vocalist of Black Sabbath (he came in when Ozzy Osbourne got fired for drug abuse), Elf, Rainbow and also a succesful solo performer, has passed away after losing the fight with stomach cancer.

This came as a total shock as Heaven & Hell, the band he was forming with three other ex-Black Sabbath members, had just announced dates for an upcoming European summer tour. That indicated he would be just fine, you won't concretely plan a tour when you are unsure you'll even make it to the summer. To now see he passed came in as a bit of a shock.

The metal world's surely been hit hard in the early stages of 2010. A few weeks ago Peter Steele already passed, although no doubt the impact of Dio was much bigger.

RIP Ronnie :(

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I was quite shocked when reading this in the paper ... Ronnie James Dio, former vocalist of Black Sabbath (he came in when Ozzy Osbourne got fired for drug abuse), Elf, Rainbow and also a succesful solo performer, has passed away after losing the fight with stomach cancer.

This came as a total shock as Heaven & Hell, the band he was forming with three other ex-Black Sabbath members, had just announced dates for an upcoming European summer tour. That indicated he would be just fine, you won't concretely plan a tour when you are unsure you'll even make it to the summer. To now see he passed came in as a bit of a shock.

The metal world's surely been hit hard in the early stages of 2010. A few weeks ago Peter Steele already passed, although no doubt the impact of Dio was much bigger.

My son has been in mourning since it was announced!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's be clear on that: without wanting to ignore other pioneers such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc, it were Black Sabbath who were the first and premier metal band. They created the whole genre, they started it and further shaped it. Iommi's downtuned guitars, the pounding drums, the slow doomy riffs, ... All metal bands formed afterwards somehow have to credit Sabbath because without them it would be a question mark if metal as we know it would exist at all now.

While a lot of people refuse to give the Sabbath records without Ozzy a listen, even then the impact of Dio on the metal genre was big. Elf, Rainbow, Dio (the band) were very influential as well. Plus, of all vocalists who came after Ozzy, he was the one who really became an important part of the legacy of Black Sabbath.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Absolutely ... RIP ....:(

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Just so's you know - I bought Tony Iommi's house off him in 1999....

Seriously!
Given the early image of the band (upside down crucifixes, lyrics about black masses, ...) I'd ring an exorcist to make sure the house ain't haunted :eyebrows:

Iommi is a legend, one of the greatest guitarists ever IMO. The heart and soul of the band who was with them in every single line-up the band had through the ages. Anyways, let's go back on topic. Dio :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
And it was the accident that cut off the tips of Iommi's fingers that meant he had to downtune his guitar as the lower string tension hirt less and led to the new sound.

RIP Ronnie.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct. A simple accident created a whole new style of music. A lot of what early Sabbath did was more or less a coincidence. The inspiration to make "scary" music came from a movie theater where a horror movie was playing, inspiring the band to make their music a bit darker because they figured if people pay to see scary movies they'd also pay to hear scary music. The whole dark occult image came more or less by coincidence, although obviously they quickly embraced their role.

I guess, with Ozzy being solo and being in a court case against Iommi over the rights to the Black Sabbath name, and with Dio being gone, that this is more or less the end of Black Sabbath as well :( The music will live on forever though, within 50 years people will still be listening to it. Ronnie's voice will live on, he won't ever be forgotten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts