Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people

Firstly this is an awesome community. It has so much resources, that one can read here and apply for themselves for whatever visa they are expecting for.

Now today I had a bitter experience with Engineers Australia. I had filed my Migrations Skills Assessment on 6th March 2015. Tomorrow, it will be 13 total weeks since I submitted. I called them today to en-quire about my status. I applied through Washington Accord.

They told me that my degree was not accredited by Washington Accord and that I have to go through a different pathway i.e. CDR reports.
I know for a fact that my degree is accredited and is also listed on the website. I told the officer regarding this and the officer said that he/she will go through it once again and that the website was not opening. He/She said that they had bookmarked the list of universities that were accredited and did not find it on that list.

Clearly the website could have been updated. I personally feel this is rather carelessness from EA officers. If I hadnt called and enquired, EA officers would have give me a negative assessment rightaway. I still dont know if they are going to give it a negative assessment. There could be other issues too. I will still try my best to give them a proper document that they need.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sadly. it is a common issue and a friend of mine had faced similar issue. In his case, the university was accredited by ABET but it was situated outside USA. He sent and email prior to submitting an application and explained that it is recognized by ABET but not located in USA, and got a response that he is eligible for Washington accord route. He then got busy and submitted his application after 1.5 months time.

After waiting for 12 weeks he got an email from the assessor that his degree doesnt fall under Washington accord and he has to write CDR. He then forwarded him the email saying that he got the confirmation prior to submitting the application. Upon which, she said that yes it was applicable at that time, but by the time you applied i-e 1.5 months later, rules have been changed and ABET can only recognize engineering programs inside USA.

So, after waiting for at least 3 months, he is back to square one and still trying to find the much needed motivation to start writing the CDR.

Hence, it is strongly recommended to send an email to [email protected] prior to submitting the application in order to check if the university is under washignton accord or not.

Well, i assume your degree was awarded outside Nepal because Washington accord doesnt recognize Nepalese local engineering body. In that case, i am sure that they will accept it provided your program is recognized by the local body recognized by the Washington accord. and most importantly, the date that your university program is recognized by the local body should dated before your graduation date.

Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My friend is also planning to take Engineer courses in Australia and come across this website too. there are 2 ways of getting assessments. One of them is unaccredited pathway. why dont you do that? CDR is hard in that case or what?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly. it is a common issue and a friend of mine had faced similar issue. In his case, the university was accredited by ABET but it was situated outside USA. He sent and email prior to submitting an application and explained that it is recognized by ABET but not located in USA, and got a response that he is eligible for Washington accord route. He then got busy and submitted his application after 1.5 months time.

After waiting for 12 weeks he got an email from the assessor that his degree doesnt fall under Washington accord and he has to write CDR. He then forwarded him the email saying that he got the confirmation prior to submitting the application. Upon which, she said that yes it was applicable at that time, but by the time you applied i-e 1.5 months later, rules have been changed and ABET can only recognize engineering programs inside USA.

So, after waiting for at least 3 months, he is back to square one and still trying to find the much needed motivation to start writing the CDR.

Hence, it is strongly recommended to send an email to [email protected] prior to submitting the application in order to check if the university is under washignton accord or not.

Well, i assume your degree was awarded outside Nepal because Washington accord doesnt recognize Nepalese local engineering body. In that case, i am sure that they will accept it provided your program is recognized by the local body recognized by the Washington accord. and most importantly, the date that your university program is recognized by the local body should dated before your graduation date.

Wish you all the best.
Heyy

Yes, my university is in India. They do not recognize Nepalese local engineering body. I have forwarded her the screenshot of the page that says it is accredited. Also, the course is accredited for batches that graduate from 2014 and 2018. I graduated in 2014.

I asked engineers australia berforehand regarding my accreditation and they told me that I was eligible to apply under Washing Accord.

I am still waiting for her response. I emailed her personally regarding this matter with the screenshot as the attachment. Lets see when they respond.

Moreover, if my degree is listed under Washington Accord then I dont feel it necessary to write CDRs. If I have to then I will have to give it a go and start preparing my CDRs as soon as possible then.

Thank You for the info.

Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
How did you contact them? I have a similar situation as yours. Submitted my application on February 27, the page says assessment is still in progress. My bachelor's degree is from an ABET accredited university outside of the US. I also have a master's in an accredited course from a university in Taiwan, but I'm not sure if EA considers a master's for the assessment.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Wish you all the best.
Well I just checked ABET's website, and they still list programs outside the US. Or you meant that EA just arbitrarily decides not to recognize these programs and never says anything about it until after you pay the application fee and wait for 3 months?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well I just checked ABET's website, and they still list programs outside the US. Or you meant that EA just arbitrarily decides not to recognize these programs and never says anything about it until after you pay the application fee and wait for 3 months?
Washington Accord only recognizes the programs which are accredited by their LOCAL engineering bodies. So, even though ABET recognizes your uni but it has to be accredited by local Taiwanese body in order for you to apply via through Washington accord route.

Also, assessment will be done for bachelors program i guess. You can send an email at [email protected] to check before lodging an application.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heyy

I finally got my positive assessment today despite the hassle yesterday. EA members were quite prompt on my issue. It took me exactly 13 weeks to get the decision.

Planning to file an EOI rightaway.

Hoping for the best and rest is all in god's hands.

Best of Luck people.
Cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
Washington Accord only recognizes the programs which are accredited by their LOCAL engineering bodies. So, even though ABET recognizes your uni but it has to be accredited by local Taiwanese body in order for you to apply via through Washington accord route.

Also, assessment will be done for bachelors program i guess. You can send an email at [email protected] to check before lodging an application.
Wow. You're right. I guess I should've read the fine print. How recent is this change? The newest (March) version of MSA booklet actually has this information, but it was published after I had already applied.

There goes my 300 dollars and 3 months of waiting. Truly devastated right now. Thanks for crushing my dream with that single post, SqOats.

Anyway, OP, congrats on the positive results and good luck on your next steps of application.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wow. You're right. I guess I should've read the fine print. How recent is this change? The newest (March) version of MSA booklet actually has this information, but it was published after I had already applied.

There goes my 300 dollars and 3 months of waiting. Truly devastated right now. Thanks for crushing my dream with that single post, SqOats.

Anyway, OP, congrats on the positive results and good luck on your next steps of application.
Well, that were truly not my intentions :) . According to the email sent to my friend, this change was effective from October 2014. It was in the Washington accord guidelines from a while but EA was still accepting the cases but not after oct 2014.

Now, because you have already waited for 3 months so i suggest not to do anything an wait for EA response. You never know you might get lucky. And, in worst case scenario, i dont think you will loose 300, you might have to pay the difference if they ask you to apply through CDR route. I am not 100% sure about this one though.

Anyways, be positive and stay put.

Goodluck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts