Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm wondering about my passport as proof of identity.

I'm in the UK, I don't have a birth certificate but can apply for one if its required.

My issue is the surname on my birth certificate is not the surname I have ever used, I have always been known by my current name since the age of 3 or 4 (prior to starting school) I'm 37 now...

Everything I have ever had in terms of legal documents is in my current name, will this cause any issues?

I have photo card driving license, passport, Medical card, NI card etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in the UK, I don't have a birth certificate but can apply for one if its required.

My issue is the surname on my birth certificate is not the surname I have ever used, I have always been known by my current name since the age of 3 or 4 (prior to starting school) I'm 37 now...

Everything I have ever had in terms of legal documents is in my current name, will this cause any issues?

Thanks
-
Yes, passport and any other official document that reflects your date of birth can be used as evidence.

·
Registered
23,862 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks
The school,passing certificate if it has your date of birth and correct name, can be submitted as secondary evidence along with the passport

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
You dont neef birth certificate if you have any another document where your parent's name are stated. For my husband we submitted only his passport as his parent's name are stated there.

From another side - another surname also not so big problem. Anyway in applcation you eill have to answer the question "have you evere been known by another name".

And birth certificate may be required in future (for example if you decide to apply for citizenship, get married etc.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts