Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members,

This is my first post here and I would highly appreciate the help and advice. My question/confusion is regarding the birth certificate.

I'm from Chandigarh, India. I don't have my birth certificate - my parents didn't register my birth with local authorities.

Now, 'm planning to apply for Australia immigration, and someone told me that a birth certificate is a must-have document, and if I don't have it, I should apply for Non-availability of birth certificate document from Chandigarh municipal corporation.

The municipal corp's guys told me that they don't issue this document. There's no such process there.

Could you please advise me if I really need this document? or any alternate birth proof such as passport would be OK? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, it is not a must have document, please check DIBP document checklist.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/checklists/189-applicant-checklist.pdf

and I quote here

Documents to prove your identity—a certified copy of your birth registration
showing the names of both parents. If a birth certificate is not available, you
must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the
following:
• passport
• family book showing both parents’ names
• identification document issued by the government
• document issued by a court that verifies the person’s identity.
If you are unable to provide one of these documents, you must provide other
acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.

G

·
No, it is not a must have document, please check DIBP document checklist.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/checklists/189-applicant-checklist.pdf

and I quote here
If birth certificate is not available means those from countries where registering births is not a legal requirement thus most dont do it and dont have birth certificates.

It is a requirement for those from countries where it is available.

Thanks for your prompt and precise reply! :)

Please tell me how did you get a passport without a birth certificate?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Please tell me how did you get a passport without a birth certificate?
In India, people can (and often do) apply for passports without a birth certificate as many births are not registered. Usually a school leaver's certificate with a DOB is sufficient proof.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In India, people can (and often do) apply for passports without a birth certificate as many births are not registered. Usually a school leaver's certificate with a DOB is sufficient proof.
Yea. Typically in India, the 10th grade exam certificate is considered as a proof of DOB in all govt. office. I used the same one to apply for my passport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts