Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the MSA number since living in France in 2013 and paying the MSA contribution. But I recently receive MSA to ask for a birth certificate to complete the file. I remember I gave a copy to them when I registered at their office.

A requirement in the letter is written:
"Un extrait d'acte de naissance ou une copie integrale d'acte de naissance en langue originale accompagnee de la traduction"

1. First part of the sentence: I don't understand what meant of un extrait as my BC is original since more than 40 years, so is it meant that I need to ask my hometown government to issue me a certify true copy.

2. second part: ou une copie....., so could I give a xerox copy plus a translation which is done by licensed translator? (But I wonder who can certify the copy is from a original legal document)

Please tell me per your experience. Thank you in advance. :)
SXMhousewife

·
Administrator
51,395 Posts
The French generally request documents assuming that every other country in the world does things the way they do in France - when the fact is that virtually no other country does anything the same way they do here.

1. First part of the sentence: I don't understand what meant of un extrait as my BC is original since more than 40 years, so is it meant that I need to ask my hometown government to issue me a certify true copy.
In France, your birth record is maintained (usually in a big book) in the town hall of the town in which you were born. French people don't actually have a "birth certificate" but rather request and get an "extract" of their birth record from the town's archive. Basically, what you need is, as you say, a certified, true copy of your birth certificate as it exists in the government records.

2. second part: ou une copie....., so could I give a xerox copy plus a translation which is done by licensed translator? (But I wonder who can certify the copy is from a original legal document)
What they are looking for is an "official" copy - generally stamped and dated by the authority in your home country that handles birth registrations. They aren't supposed to ask for copies dated within the last 90 days except for matters that "involve your marital statuts" (because France updates your official birth record for marriages, divorces and your death - again, unlike almost every other country I know) but sometimes they still do. Main thing is that the official copy you send them have some sort of validation - stamp, embossed seal, current signature of some local official.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts