Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I applied for copies of my father and grand parents birth and marriage certificates at www.acte-etat-civil.fr over a month ago and have not heard anything. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this site before. I suspect this is a central location for applying and the actual fulfillment is made by the town the act took place. I am just curious how long I should expect before I get these documents back here in the states, or reapply? Considering they want these documents to be less than 3 months old I would think it isnt fair to take that long to get them as one could have "expired" by the time you got others.

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
As far as I can tell, the site puts you in contact with the appropriate mairie for requesting the documents. It can depend on the town you're dealing with - some mairies are only staffed one or two days a week.

This kind of request can take a while to receive (especially in the States). But unless you need the documents for something involving marriage, the 3 month deadline isn't supposed to apply any more. (Not that all the various administrative offices have "gotten the memo" on that yet.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've used a similar site but it was specific to the Mairie of the town I needed, the certificates have always arrived no more than 3 weeks after. Maybe you could go to the site of the Mairie you need and search around for their own section to apply for certificates of etat civil.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting Bev I didn't realize they aren't staffed 8 x 5. It is actually for my Carte D'Identite and the form says birth cert no older than 3 months. I am applying to St Thonan and Relecq-Kerhuon not sure how staffed they are.

Thanks Sarah I will look directly. I was following the form and the consulate that said go to acte-etat-civil.... I didn't realize it may be available at the town directly I will definately search the local sites to see if I can apply directly.

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
If you're claiming French nationality through descent, it's kind of up for grabs whether the birth and marriage certificates have to be within 3 months or not. If your father and grandparents are still alive, then yes, it's probably the case.

As Sarah says, you'll probably have better luck going directly through the mairie. I notice that the site you used seems to offer both alternatives - at least for the town I used in testing the site.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bev that makes sense, if they aren't alive any longer there surely wont be any updates to add to the naissace or mariage records.

I followed the top link after three pages I finally got :
RAPPEL IMPORTANT :
Vous ne pouvez pas utiliser ce formulaire en ligne lorsque l'événement d'état civil (Naissance, mariage, décès) a eu lieu en France métropolitaine, dans un département d'outre-mer (D.O.M.) ou territoire d'outre-mer (T.O.M.).

Vous pouvez dans ce cas effectuer une demande en ligne à l'adresse suivante www.acte-etat-civil.fr, ou directement (par courrier) à la mairie du lieu de l'événement (vous pouvez en obtenir l'adresse, en cliquant sur le lien suivant PagesJaunes : Annuaire des professionnels et bonnes adresses).

Same with the second link : Demande d'acte d'état civil : naissance, mariage ou décès survenu à l'étranger

Of course they all occured in France.
So I guess if I dont receive anything soon I will call the mairie directly. and hope my french is good enough.
Thank you both for the assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.