Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So will I be able to do the biometrics in my small town at the local police station? Just wondering how this works....or if I will have to travel to Vancouver, the nearest big city to me?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You'll get office locations when you put in your application. You will pick location nearest you or preference location and then your appointment time. You have to go to the biometrics place designated by the UKBA

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
oh ok thanks for that link, I see it says Vancouver so I will aim for a trip there...I needed to go this week but I will wait until i file for my visa to make the trip over...
TravelSpice, you need to figure out from the many, many connecting links on the initial links Nyclon, Joppa, and several others of us have posted for you which process works for your making applications in Canada because it may be different as regards booking the biometrics appointment.

Best tip you'll ever get here? Take notes, print out confusing info pages (and truthfully a lot of the UKBA info is confusing first, second and third reads through) and read them out loud.

No matter what country you are in, you need to book an appointment-you cannot simply show up:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/canada/applying/book-appointment/?langname=UK English

It's a process. This is how it works for people making applications in the US-ymmv:

You fill out and pay for the application online.

A pop-up feature will walk you through making the biometrics appointment.

You print out the biometrics sheet (LOOK FOR THE BARCODE, they need that at the centre).

You take the print out to the biometrics appointment.

IN CANADA, I believe you take your printed out and signed application and supporting documents to the biometrics appointment where you do the biometrics AND turn in your app and supporting docs.

You do this for the whole family, btw-one group appointment for all the apps and docs.

There may be more, someone will be along if I've missed the important parts but you should now be able to find the information you need from the links we've provided-remember that you may have to click, and click, and click, and click to find ALL the info you need to cover your unique situation.

Hang in there, you'll get there:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you so much for such wonderful detailed information! This helps tons!

I am expecting my array of certificates from the UK by late next week...they are being mailed by Friday this week at the latest.

Should I go ahead and do the online visa now and get the biometrics booked for sometime next week? Or is it better to wait until I have all certificates in hand? They definitely are on the way...

Also, once I do the online application, is my credit card charged at that very moment for all the fees? Or does it not get charged until they have all the paperwork in their hands? I have 4 applications to do online, one for me and three children...is it important I do them all one after the other or can I do two and then the next two the following day?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Best to do all the apps one after the other, and only after you have all your supporting documents (all originals, and don't forget the photocopies) in your hand.

I can't remember if the charges come off immediately or not, I think they do something like a hold because I remember my bank got stuffy (sticker shock, they weren't expecting that chunk-a-change all at one time, lol, so I used my husband's who's bank had erm, become accustomed to eye-watering transactions) and I mean it was right then online! So btw, make sure you let the bank know you're about to hit the card in an extra-special heavy way.

I love bullet lists, and I greatly appreciate people who also appreciate a good bullet list. Thank-you:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can't remember if the charges come off immediately or not, I think they do something like a hold because I remember my bank got stuffy (sticker shock, they weren't expecting that chunk-a-change all at one time, lol, so I used my husband's who's bank had erm, become accustomed to eye-watering transactions) and I mean it was right then online! So btw, make sure you let the bank know you're about to hit the card in an extra-special heavy way.
For ours the charges were like a standard credit card charge on our debit card. Funds were immediately marked as non-available, and were officially withdrawn two days later, before the biometrics appointment. Like your experience, our bank fairly exploded.

In order to make the charge, the website had us answer a small series of challenge questions to prove that we were actually the account holders and approved the charge. And despite this, we got a call the next morning from the card's fraud department, challenging the charge. (And on top of THIS, they called my wife's number, as she's the primary card holder for that account, but REFUSED TO TALK TO HER. I had to call them back myself and assure them that I had approved the charges.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all. I did my biometrics in Halifax, NS. I had to bring my signed application and picture along with my payment confirmation for both the application and the biometrics. I also purchased the courier package to and from UKBA NY as I had to send my application and supporting documents directly to NY. I visited a mobile biometric office through Worldbridge. The rep took my application, stuck my picture on, took my passport and confirmation sheets put them all in a sealed pouch and gave it back to me along with the DHL courier envelope. I then took them to my local DHL depot and away they went, It is my understanding that only St Johns and Halifax have the mobile clinics in Canada.

Spouse Visa - Canada (Halifax)
Application. March 20
Biometrics March 28
Package sent. March 28
Arrived in NY March 29
Package opened 1st email. April 3
Assigned to ECO 2nd email. April 27
Visa issued 3rd email. April 30
Documents and passport in hand. May 3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.