Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a USA citizen married to UK citizen and have biometric permit which expires by March 2016. I am 24 weeks pregnant and thinking of having my baby in America with my parents and it will 3 months of that and then baby's traveling documents might take another month or so I wanted to know what's the limit of staying outside UK on biometric permit I am worried if it's 3 months then I might have problem on border. Please reply as soon as possible because I have to travel before 26/27weeks of pregnancy thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am but it's doesn't say how much long I can stay out of UK that's what is worrying me and I wana know if can stay more thn 3/4 months

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Is your husband British otherwise than by descent (e.g. by being born in UK)? If so, your baby will be British by descent if born in US. While he/she is entitled to British passport, your child can't pass down British citizenship to any children they may have born outside UK.
If your husband is British by descent (e.g. born abroad), your baby won't be British if born in US, and you have to go through expensive and lengthy process to register as British if your husband is eligible (e.g. having lived in UK for 3 years or more). Citizenship your baby will get will be British by descent.
This is just a simplified scenario and there are other complicated rules that may apply, depending on your family situation.

As for spending time outside UK while on spouse visa, provided you don't stay away more than half the time allowed on your visa, you are fine. While you have to account for every absence, childbirth will be a legitimate ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Joppa for the reply my husband is born British and has grown up all his life here would that be a big process of we come back to UK and have the baby get British citizenship thru father who is British born

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
In that case your child will be British by descent. But remember he or she can't pass on their British citizenship should they have a child outside of UK. Your child's nationality status will be determined at birth and can never be changed. So think very carefully before you decide to give birth abroad. As for their US citizenship, there is no distinction between citizenship by descent and otherwise than by descent, so you can be relaxed about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so for my child it's gona be no problem but if he/she have child out of UK they won't be British descend got that .. And I can stay out of UK with brp more thn 3/4 months ... Thank you so very much we will discuss all of this and then take a decision loads love cheers

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Be very careful about this. You are taking a decision that may affect your child's future over a period of 20-40 years, and in this international age, your child can end up anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's big and I will discuss everything with my husband And then make a decision because obviously we don't know what when and how our child is gona be when they have children but yeah I'm grateful for your replies and concern about it I really appreciate this thank you very much love

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
If I were in your situation, I'd give birth in UK, and after 3 months or so, visit US with your husband to show the baby to your US family and grandparents. This way you aren't disadvantaging your child's future in any way and your family in US can still have a chance to see the new-born.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know what u mean but I have to apply my permanent visa for UK by February next year I can't b out of UK for doing that and things are way complicated so let's see what we come up with either go now or after everything I'm just confused n nervous about everything but you have given me answers and options of everything thank you for that

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Just get the bigger picture - you are doing things for your child's future which should rank higher than anything else. You only need to return to UK shortly before your booked premium service appointment for ILR (and pass the Life in the UK test now if you haven't done so).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I haven't done it yet and yeah thinking a lot about it haven't yet reached to a decision and IRL how long is that for and if I do that do I get to keep my USA nationality ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I'm here again I just want to make sure because my husband inquired some Infos about brp and he was told that I am not allowed to stay out of UK more than 3 months so I'm confused again can someone give me a proof I won't have any problem after when I come back to UK at border and also applying for ilr
Please I need to know I trust you guys but they making me confused

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.