Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could Bilbao become the Spanish Calais for migrants ? as a growing number of them try to stow away on lorries
bound for the UK on Car Ferries and of course Santander would undoubtedly experience the same problems.

With growing numbers of migrants choosing to cross over by boat, via the shorter crossing from Africa near
Gibraltar to Spanish shores and many Albanians looking to sneak onto Ferries in Spain, there are likely
to be more problems like this at the Spanish ferry ports to the UK.

BBC News - Migrant crisis, is Bilbao the new backdoor to Britain ?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Could Bilbao become the Spanish Calais for migrants ? as a growing number of them try to stow away on lorries
bound for the UK on Car Ferries and of course Santander would undoubtedly experience the same problems.

With growing numbers of migrants choosing to cross over by boat, via the shorter crossing from Africa near
Gibraltar to Spanish shores and many Albanians looking to sneak onto Ferries in Spain, there are likely
to be more problems like this at the Spanish ferry ports to the UK.

BBC News - Migrant crisis, is Bilbao the new backdoor to Britain ?
Storms in the Bay of Biscay would be quite discouraging.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Migrants, be they economic or refugees will, as we know, take huge risks to try and change their lives. Let's pray we don't see bodies washed up on the shores of southern England.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Migrants, be they economic or refugees will, as we know, take huge risks to try and change their lives. Let's pray we don't see bodies washed up on the shores of southern England.
Yes - I wonder how long it will be before many countries in Africa, the Middle East, ect become so depopulated,
that all you will find are Ghost towns and villages.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Doubt you will see that as those running the show will not be able to set up their operations in France.
All those new big inflatables/all the young men waiting/all wearing those new life-jackets etc etc would soon be spotted by the French coast guard/police.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep news says that it is another route to Britain. Spanish police are arresting a lot of people who are attempting to get to Britain this way

·
Banned
63 Posts
What about the shores of Spain??? Does England only matter - not Italian, French or Spanish shores or are you talking about a piece of rock that actually belongs to Spain?

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
What about the shores of Spain??? Does England only matter - not Italian, French or Spanish shores or are you talking about a piece of rock that actually belongs to Spain?
She obviously doesn't care. :rolleyes: She is a true Brit. A patriot.
England First and all that. Sod Johnny Foreigner.

Surely you've worked that out from reading her previous posts...

We've got some real little Englanders posting on here lately, appalling. And what makes it worse is that they nearly all, MegsMum not included, live in the same part of Spain....but she may be seeking out like-minded people there.

I fear we are witnessing the start of a branch of the EDL or Britain First, here in Spain:eek:

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
You have totally misunderstood the post.
Nothing about Megsmum's post suggests that she doesn't care about the people who lose their lives and at the very least their dignity when they try to enter Europe through other countries.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As usual people forget that in past conflicts, namely the Vietnam War - for those that remember The Boat People.

Many South Vietnamese were granted asylum in the UK, rather than be deported back to communist controlled Vietnam.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Clearly you have an issue with Reading so I've spelt it out for you in bullet points

The thread is about the south of England
People who take huge risks crossings seas die
I hoped they would not

When one joins a forum it's a good idea to read through several threads and posts before trying to inflame comments as a hobby. I think you may also have to do better than that as there are many forum stalker hobbyists around at the moment.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Clearly you have an issue with Reading so I've spelt it out for you in bullet points

The thread is about the south of England
People who take huge risks crossings seas die
I hoped they would not

When one joins a forum it's a good idea to read through several threads and posts before trying to inflame comments as a hobby. I think you may also have to do better than that as there are many forum stalker hobbyists around at the moment.
Crossing from Africa to Europe in a dingy or old, overcrowded boat is much different than stowing away on a typically new ferry & I have never been to Reading as I heard it is not very nice. Is not Reading in the north of England also??

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
Crossing from Africa to Europe in a dingy or old, overcrowded boat is much different than stowing away on a typically new ferry & I have never been to Reading as I heard it is not very nice. Is not Reading in the north of England also??
Reading is in the south of England. Sarcasm.... :rolleyes:

The point of the thread was, that there may well be a new route for immigrants be they going to the U.K. for whatever reason.. the Bilbao route is a 24 hours crossing, across rougher seas than Calais to U.K. Once Brexit has occurred and the crossing are more scrutinized and all those border controls within limited staff are put in place. You know .. all that control of boarders malarkey... people may well take ever increasing risks... going across any sea span is a risk.. which many may well take if they think ferries etc will be harder to smuggle onto.....

I have nursed people - whatever their status- who have fallen off of lorries, trains etc whilst trying to enter the U.K. whilst I'm not a fan of illegal immigrants be they coming from Eastern Europe, Africa or the U.K. I can still have empathy with the fact that they can get injured maimed or harmed. I don't want to see bodies washed up on any shore, whatever their reasons for crossing...

So please read properly, stop trying to be clever as it's clearly not working...... don't bother responding, I'm happy to debate, discuss with anyone especially those with opposing views, because that's how one learns, I'm not however going to get into a chit chat with people who just want to antagonise and cause trouble

the ignore button is about to be put in place

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Well you took your time, Suprised how long this thread has run without the usual insinuations. You haven't done your Hitler bit yet.
Well, yes, I do like to think and review evidence before coming to a conclusion.

Didn't I do my 'Hitler bit' in a previous post, the one where you referred to my superior knowledge?

But I'll do it again because it's relevant and here's why.
All over Europe far=right, some openly Neo-Nazi ,groups are on the rise. Anti-immigrant violence and prejudice is on the increase.
By ignoring the slow but steady growth of anti-Semitic sentiment in Germany over many years a climate grew where it became the norm to express violently prejudicial sentiments. Extremist Parties led by demagogues such as HITLER (and other leaders such as MUSSOLINI) took advantage f these to take power and we all know where that led to.

In case it passed you by I have said before that opposition to immigration and racism are not one and the same and I am not suggesting for one moment that the UK s in a Weimar Republic situation . But occasionally we have posts on the topic of migration in general which have a somewhat rancid tone, some, admittedly very few, of yours included.

Debate on immigration is essential. A civilised tone to that debate is equally so.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I'd prefer to talk about immigration in the Basque country than this ENDLESS bickering, sniping, innappropriate posting that is beginning to plague La Tasca, so I am posting comething that is actually On Topic - how novel:eek:. Maybe someone would like to comment upon it in a non sarcastic, interested and possibly articulate manner :fingerscrossed:?

I posted the BBC article on the WhatsApp chat I'm in with my husband's Basque family asking if they knew about it and one cousin posted back that it's in El Correo every week. El Correo is the most widely sold newspaper in the Bilbao area and here are some articles from it.
Albañil rumano y cuidadora nicaragüense: los trabajadores extranjeros más demandados en Euskadi . El Correo
Romanian construction workers and Nicaraguan care workers are the most sought after foreign workers in Euskadi

Los albaneses desalojan el campamento de Zierbena por la presión policial | El Correo
Albanian immigrants have been evicted from camp in Zierbena. They were waiting to get on the Portsmouth ferries
Save

1 - 20 of 53 Posts