Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Salut!

I've read through this forum several times during my time in France, but this is the first time that I couldn't find an answer to my question already addressed! I'd appreciate some advice.

Today I got a 90 euro ticket for running a red light on a velib in Paris. I knew that the Paris police have been running stings on bike infractions, but was trying to get around an obnoxious group of teenagers on bikes and there was NO ONE coming for blocks in any direction... and unfortunately a group of about six police officers were lurking hidden to the side about a block ahead (they pulled over at least a dozen bikers while I was getting written up!)

The officer accepted my French student card as ID, and wrote only that number on the ticket (I realize that this was very lucky, as the police threatened to throw my friend in jail for not having her passport on her when she got a ticket!) I gave the officer my real address in Paris.

My question: what happens if I don't pay? I am leaving France in six weeks. I suppose the police could send a letter to my French university asking for my passport number. Perhaps they could even hold up my degree if they acted within the next two months (I am getting a Masters). But my guess is that I will be long gone by the time that happens. Is there any way that this could follow me back to the States? Or pose a problem if I visit France again a few years down the line?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
PAY THE FINE!

If you broke the law, the fine is valid & you should pay it. It's people like you who don't pay their fines that cause the rest of us to pay more dearly for everything else.

PAY THE FINE & LEARN YOUR LESSON!

Reactions: rynd2it

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Salut!

I've read through this forum several times during my time in France, but this is the first time that I couldn't find an answer to my question already addressed! I'd appreciate some advice.

Today I got a 90 euro ticket for running a red light on a velib in Paris. I knew that the Paris police have been running stings on bike infractions, but was trying to get around an obnoxious group of teenagers on bikes and there was NO ONE coming for blocks in any direction... and unfortunately a group of about six police officers were lurking hidden to the side about a block ahead (they pulled over at least a dozen bikers while I was getting written up!)

The officer accepted my French student card as ID, and wrote only that number on the ticket (I realize that this was very lucky, as the police threatened to throw my friend in jail for not having her passport on her when she got a ticket!) I gave the officer my real address in Paris.

My question: what happens if I don't pay? I am leaving France in six weeks. I suppose the police could send a letter to my French university asking for my passport number. Perhaps they could even hold up my degree if they acted within the next two months (I am getting a Masters). But my guess is that I will be long gone by the time that happens. Is there any way that this could follow me back to the States? Or pose a problem if I visit France again a few years down the line?

Thanks for any advice!
Certainly not a good attitude to have in life, with a degree or not. I dont know whether they would find you, but as Hils says, you should pay it, you're not above the law

Jo xxx

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
Just as a point of information, I recently saw a list of common misconceptions about traffic rules in France, which included the fact that tickets issued against you as a bicyclist do not count against your driving license. (AAMOF, they often DO result in points on or against your driving license in several US states I'm familiar with.)

Still, you never know when something like this will come around and bite you in the butt - whether on a later visit to France, or should you decide to settle here at some later date.

Oh, and by the way, the cop couldn't have thrown your friend in jail for not having her passport on her. Even the folks who get caught on the trains without a ticket who are found to be foreigners have 24 hours to turn up at the police station with their carte de séjour after being stopped and asked for it. (I was a sans papiers for 20 months and decided that having a ticket for public transit was more valuable than the stupid carte de séjour!)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
85 Posts
In your situation, I would not pay it unless you have plenty of extra cash. If they don't have any way to ID you except your student ID, they will most likely never be able to make the connection between you and the ticket in the future. I would contest the ticket, which is in your right, by following the directions on the ticket, but don't provide any additional information than you already have. Then it will get mired in the lengthy review process that can take a year to to get a response.

I would venture to guess that while the police were writing your ticket there were dozens of people jaywalking, etc if it was a typical parisian street. The law is not applied at all equally thus I wouldn't pay if in your shoes.

Salut!

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My question: what happens if I don't pay?
You would fall in the same bag as those who come to France just to claim social benefits (paid by others) or those that upon arrival (legal or not) are instantly looking in all the possible details in order to claim some kind of "aide sociale de l'État" without having ever paid cotisations.

jacques.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
In your situation, I would not pay it unless you have plenty of extra cash. If they don't have any way to ID you except your student ID, they will most likely never be able to make the connection between you and the ticket in the future. I would contest the ticket, which is in your right, by following the directions on the ticket, but don't provide any additional information than you already have. Then it will get mired in the lengthy review process that can take a year to to get a response.

I would venture to guess that while the police were writing your ticket there were dozens of people jaywalking, etc if it was a typical parisian street. The law is not applied at all equally thus I wouldn't pay if in your shoes.
This is an atrocious stance to take or advise - it's no wonder the world's in a lamentably cock-a-snook-at-any-authority state, and we're all heading for economic meltdown.

Maybe the Mayans were right after all and 2012 sees the world's "best by" date expire - not sure if I want to be around if your attitude is typical of the majority.

I am outraged at your utterings and that you compound your gross ignorance by publishing it in a public forum.

"Outraged" of the Auvergne

·
Administrator
50,006 Posts
I rather suspect that this is one of those sorts of tickets that a French person would have simply paid on the spot and forgotten about. It took me quite a while to get used to that - traffic tickets, getting caught out without a ticket for the metro, etc. Most folks just pay and get on with life. (That's how they catch the sans papiers in the metro - they're the ones who don't just pay off the fine for turnstile hopping and that's when the cops ask them for their carte de séjour.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

This seems remarkably close to breaching rule 14,c - regarding incitement to break the law.

Do the crime, do the time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.