Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mum and us children have always lived with our dad who always controlled everything and kept hold of all the paperwork. Recently we had to leave our house in an emergency and rebuild our lives somewhere else however my dad had destroyed all our documents. We have managed to get the children's passport and mums dual nation passport for another country.

Prior to all this happening - I had saved a lot over the years to go on Holiday to visit our grandparents and for my mum to see her own severely ill mother after 12 years. We had booked the tickets and my dad had always maintained that mum was a dual nationality holder but that mum's passport had been lost. Therefore when we moved out, I assumed the same thing and applied for a lost British passport for mum. Today the passport office came back to me and said that mum is not a British citizen and has neither been naturalized as one. However she was granted ILR in 2003.

However I now have to apply for travel documents based on that date but we have no old passports showing that stamp. The only item that we managed to retrieve was mum's other country valid passport but that does not have the ILR stamp on it. I will be ringing the Home Office to find out more information but can anyone on here advise me on what can be done and if mum will be able to fly out in July?

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
There should be some record of her ILR at Home Office. I suggest you make a query under contact details on UKVI page, and if it proves ineffectual, contact your MP and ask for their help.
BTW, ILR doesn't give her British citizenship. She has to apply for naturalisation and pay a fee.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You can make a SAR (subject access request) to the Home Office requesting that they send you a copy of documents they have on file for her. Hopefully that contains a copy of the letter showing she has ILR.

It costs £10 and is very easy to do - the link you need is as follows: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/requests-for-personal-data-uk-visas-and-immigration.

If that fails, I second the recommendation to contact your MP (although they may well suggest the SAR option).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There should be some record of her ILR at Home Office. I suggest you make a query under contact details on UKVI page, and if it proves ineffectual, contact your MP and ask for their help.
BTW, ILR doesn't give her British citizenship. She has to apply for naturalisation and pay a fee.
Hello
Thank you for your quick response

I have just put through an email request for Freedom of Information. I understand she will need to be naturalized in order to be British but at the moment the only thing I am concerned about is being able to get my mum back into the country from Pakistan. I feel if I told my mum all of this, she would be devastated and it would have very bad effects on her health.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello
Thank you for your quick response

I have just put through an email request for Freedom of Information. I understand she will need to be naturalized in order to be British but at the moment the only thing I am concerned about is being able to get my mum back into the country from Pakistan. I feel if I told my mum all of this, she would be devastated and it would have very bad effects on her health.
You didn't mention she was out of country - how long has been outside of the UK? If you have ILR and you remain outside of the UK for a period of two years or more you lose your ILR. So it is crucial that this issue is sorted asap so she doesn't lose her right of stay.

·
Registered
39,127 Posts
FOI isn't a fast process, and can take several weeks (sometimes months) to come back to you with any meaningful response. Therefore I suggest you get in touch with them under contact details on UKVI site, stressing it's an urgent request. You are then likely to get a response within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't mention she was out of country - how long has been outside of the UK? If you have ILR and you remain outside of the UK for a period of two years or more you lose your ILR. So it is crucial that this issue is sorted asap so she doesn't lose her right of stay.
No at the moment she is in Uk and has been in UK since 2002. We haven't left the country ever.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FOI isn't a fast process, and can take several weeks (sometimes months) to come back to you with any meaningful response. Therefore I suggest you get in touch with them under contact details on UKVI site, stressing it's an urgent request. You are then likely to get a response within 2 weeks.
I will be doing this by the end of today after I have made a phone call to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.