Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a new requirement from all ExPats who are applying for their ACR Cards. In addition to all application documents to be completed, there is an additional small slip of paper issued that is not on an 'official' BI Application Form that requires the ExPat to acquire a Police Clearance document from their former place of residence in their country. There are some Local Police Departments that may refuse to do this. The only other option would be for the applicant to return to their country and submit this through the Philippine BI Embassy in their country. Would like to see comments about this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,575 Posts
Checklist download

There is a new requirement from all ExPats who are applying for their ACR Cards. In addition to all application documents to be completed, there is an additional small slip of paper issued that is not on an 'official' BI Application Form that requires the ExPat to acquire a Police Clearance document from their former place of residence in their country. There are some Local Police Departments that may refuse to do this. The only other option would be for the applicant to return to their country and submit this through the Philippine BI Embassy in their country. Would like to see comments about this.

I applied for my Immigrant card in the states, my controlling Philippine Consulate was out of Chicago and it was a requirement and was part of the checklist I downloaded from the Philippine Consulate website, Chicago (depends on what state you live in). Police clearance is easy to get if you still have family in the states I'm sure they can do this for you, it's $10 charge and takes 10 minutes tops if not I think the US Embassy could help you on this one.

Philippine Consulate US (Several and their forms didn't match 100% lol). Here's a consulate helper if you still need to download all the requirements for your state or area.

Embassy of the Philippines - Consulate Finder Map

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't see this as a bad thing if it serves to somehow discourage undesirables.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I applied for my Immigrant card in the states, my controlling Philippine Consulate was out of Chicago and it was a requirement and was part of the checklist I downloaded from the Philippine Consulate website, Chicago (depends on what state you live in). Police clearance is easy to get if you still have family in the states I'm sure they can do this for you, it's $10 charge and takes 10 minutes tops if not I think the US Embassy could help you on this one.

Philippine Consulate US (Several and their forms didn't match 100% lol). Here's a consulate helper if you still need to download all the requirements for your state or area.

Embassy of the Philippines - Consulate Finder Map
Thanks, I'll tell my friend. He had a problem with his former Local Police sending the record, should have been easy for the officer said 'he didn't feel comfortable' sending this document.'

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was informed just about 2 hours ago from my friend that has to get police record that only US ExPats will be required to obtain this document. The US Embassy will not help, the Philippine Immigration will not help. If you are in the Philippines you may have to fly back to your former local residence to personally obtain this document and then return to the Philippines. If you are on a fixed income this can be very costly to do.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I was informed just about 2 hours ago from my friend that has to get police record that only US ExPats will be required to obtain this document. The US Embassy will not help, the Philippine Immigration will not help. If you are in the Philippines you may have to fly back to your former local residence to personally obtain this document and then return to the Philippines. If you are on a fixed income this can be very costly to do.
Like I keep saying; no matter what, you can't fix stupid!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
So are you saying that it is only US citizens that this applies to and noone else from other countries? it seems a bit odd to only have it for one country.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jim, thanks for the heads up, one more for the checkllist!

pac

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your local controlling Philippine Consulate will have a download form with all the instructions, things they need and one of them is a police clearance.
If you are here less than 6 months, they require police clearance from your US Police Department, if you are here 6 months or more in addition you have to have NBI clearance.

·
Super Moderator
3,575 Posts
Downloadable Forms from Consulate

I had to use the Chicago Philippine Consulate, no other Philippine consulate would work with because of my address but they have a good website on what you need and I had no problems, my stuff was done, they do send you to some sort of medical spot by the their Naval peir. Here's a short cut of everything I had to fill out and instructions on what I need, including my wife, she had to fill out a form it's in this short also.

http://www.chicagopcg.com/forms/newimmigrantform.pdf

·
Super Moderator
3,575 Posts
ACR card renewal

So is it just US citizens? Just i need to renew my ACR card in January.
Interesting.... I know that after 5 years my card was up for renewal I just didn't know that till I came in for my annual card update, all they did to me was the run around up and down the floors getting paper work they already had on me and then I had to come back for my card it took two months... lol, I never had to submit anything.

My card is coming due soon for the 10 years and I'm not sure what happens next, my US passport is due to expire in 2015.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes was just looking into it as my ACR card renews every year as a tourist and is up for renewal in January. Well, i will be looking to get onto an immigration visa at some point in the next couple of years so i guess it will apply to me then.

·
Super Moderator
3,575 Posts
ACR card

yes was just looking into it as my ACR card renews every year as a tourist and is up for renewal in January. Well, i will be looking to get onto an immigration visa at some point in the next couple of years so i guess it will apply to me then.
I'm thinking it should go much faster, you already have a card, the Non-quota Immigrant Visa took me less two months to get approved it could be approved even faster I guess with a little extra cash(express service) stuck in the envelope or given at the Consulate in UK.

I had to mail my stuff in but if you live next to a Philippine Consulate it would be much faster.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jim, I emailed my local phils consulate a few days ago about this and got the response today. Police check is required, and then *that* form needs to be notarized at the phils consulate of the same town as the police check! Here is an excerpt from the email, it includes a new email address for the phils side also:

<email from USA town phils consulate>
For Police Clearance Certificate, please apply 15 days before date of departure for the Philippines at this address:
Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center
Territorial Building <snip rest of address>...
The Police Clearance Certificate should be duly notarized by the Philippine Consulate General. You may also wish to direct your queries to the Bureau of Immigration through email: [email protected].
<END email from USA town phils consulate>

I'll apply in a couple days and update the list here with the results. Comforting to know that the phils consulate knew about it, checking from the local police side about the type of background check required, the PD folks didn't know which one would be needed although there were a ton of (incorrect) background checks I could have gotten that would have been the wrong ones (civil, traffic, notices and summons, etc). The address provided by the consulate is not a court, or police dept building at all, I would never have known to go to this data center and apply. More info soon, but appreciate the heads up on this new requirement, tks!

pac

1 - 20 of 24 Posts