Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have moved to Australia over the last year and have been living with my girlfriend in Artarmon (Sydney, NSW) (We are both 24, not really planning on having children soon :)).

I worked previously a couple of months in the CBD in a temporary job, but have recently found an excellent position in Castle Hill. All the time, my girlfriend has been working in North Sydney.

I've been commuting to Castle hill for a couple of weeks now, but find the commute time a bit too much (50min-1hr without toll roads). I know I can take the Lane Cove Tunnel and M2, but the Toll ($9 each way) is a bit too much.

Since I take the car to go to Castle Hill, my girlfriend has too be able to travel easily by public transport.

We have been looking at Macquarie Park/North Ryde as it seems like a good compromise. But I have been reading that the traffic during peak hour is crazy there. Is that also the case when you are leaving Macquarie Park for Castle Hill?

Besides our work places, the other thing we like to be close to is the beach. How long would the travel be from Macquarie Park to the Northern Beaches on weekends? 45 min?

Sorry for all these questions, but it is so difficult to have an idea about the traffic conditions at these places.

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!

Michael

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I have personal experience as I commute from the N. Beaches to Macquarie Park for work.

It's a 40-45 min commute if your start time at work is 7:30 AM. If it's 9 AM and you leave the beaches at 8 AM then you *might* make it in one hour. There are a few choke points:

1) Frenchs Forest between Rodborough Rd and Wakehurst parkway, this can be anywhere from 1 light to 5 lights depending on what time you reach there (and its only about 400 meters!
2) Chatswood/Pacific Highway, again you can do it in 2 lights or 8 lights!

Leaving Macquarie Park:
Do it at 4:30 or 6 PM, any time in between and your first 0.5 km can be anywhere from 20-30 mins as you need to get past the M2. Either Dehli Rd or Lane Cove Rd.

Weekends N. Beaches to N. Ryde can be worse actually as more traffic between those areas. I find morning is best, but 10 AM - 2PM onwards is very congested.

Warringah Rd. and Pittwater Rd are the two main roads for the beaches so that is where you have alot of buildup and also some around Wakehurst Parkway.

Hi all,

I have moved to Australia over the last year and have been living with my girlfriend in Artarmon (Sydney, NSW) (We are both 24, not really planning on having children soon :)).

I worked previously a couple of months in the CBD in a temporary job, but have recently found an excellent position in Castle Hill. All the time, my girlfriend has been working in North Sydney.

I've been commuting to Castle hill for a couple of weeks now, but find the commute time a bit too much (50min-1hr without toll roads). I know I can take the Lane Cove Tunnel and M2, but the Toll ($9 each way) is a bit too much.

Since I take the car to go to Castle Hill, my girlfriend has too be able to travel easily by public transport.

We have been looking at Macquarie Park/North Ryde as it seems like a good compromise. But I have been reading that the traffic during peak hour is crazy there. Is that also the case when you are leaving Macquarie Park for Castle Hill?

Besides our work places, the other thing we like to be close to is the beach. How long would the travel be from Macquarie Park to the Northern Beaches on weekends? 45 min?

Sorry for all these questions, but it is so difficult to have an idea about the traffic conditions at these places.

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!

Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Michael,
I am in a similiar situation as you. My gf will be working in N Sydney and im hoping to get a job in Castle Hill. you say it takes 50-1hr to get to Castle Hill. What time were you going to work at and returning? I would possibly be starting work at 6.30am each morning and Probably finishing around 3pm. Is there much traffic around that time. I would hope to avoid the tolls. If there is anyone else out there that could give me any info itd be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Phelim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.