Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Dubai soon. While I am in Dubai, I will still have a lot of things to deal with in Canada, for example paying bills, talking to insurance providers, which sometimes has a long waiting time online before I can speak to an agent. So I was wondering which is the most cost-effective way to call back.

I should be able to video chat with my families using Skype. Skype also provides a paid service for calling mobiles and landlines with a good rate in Canada. Can I use Skype in UAE to call Canada? I know UAE blocks most VoiP's, but not sure if Skype works.

Appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I am going to Dubai soon. While I am in Dubai, I will still have a lot of things to deal with in Canada, for example paying bills, talking to insurance providers, which sometimes has a long waiting time online before I can speak to an agent. So I was wondering which is the most cost-effective way to call back.

I should be able to video chat with my families using Skype. Skype also provides a paid service for calling mobiles and landlines with a good rate in Canada. Can I use Skype in UAE to call Canada? I know UAE blocks most VoiP's, but not sure if Skype works.

Appreciate your help.
Skype should work well for you I use it a lot. Also bear in mind that if you use Etisalat as your mobile provider you can have flexi minutes as part of your contract or add them on. These allow you to make international calls from the UAE. 150 min flexi 'pack' costs me 50aed. I'm not sure if du have the same offering.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skype should work well for you I use it a lot. Also bear in mind that if you use Etisalat as your mobile provider you can have flexi minutes as part of your contract or add them on. These allow you to make international calls from the UAE. 150 min flexi 'pack' costs me 50aed. I'm not sure if du have the same offering.
Thank you, UKMS, I will pay Skype for international calls.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
As far as I know, Skype to phone does not work in the UAE - only Skype to Skype.
Cheers
Steve
That is what I am suspecting and most likely ture. I will buy some credit and have a try. If it does not work, I have to buy local long distance service.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I can't get Skype to log on with GSM or a GSM router, it works fine on my home wifi with my iPhone.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Skype has been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not at all. Sometimes the calling to phone feature works, but most of the times it doesn't. So I have stopped adding credit to it.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Hi,
As far as I know, Skype to phone does not work in the UAE - only Skype to Skype.
Cheers
Steve
I have just seen the recent publications in the press and by Skype. However .....

I use Skype for both work and domestically on a daily basis, admittedly most of the time on wifi but I do make calls on mobile data and it's never let me down. I made a lengthy call last night back to the U.K.

If the OP is having to use mobile data to use Skype then that may not be ideal cost wise, I had assumed it would be over wifi.

If it is now troublesome then flexi mobile minutes maybe your answer for reliable calls.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
I have just seen the recent publications in the press and by Skype. However .....

I use Skype for both work and domestically on a daily basis, admittedly most of the time on wifi but I do make calls on mobile data and it's never let me down. I made a lengthy call last night back to the U.K.

If the OP is having to use mobile data to use Skype then that may not be ideal cost wise, I had assumed it would be over wifi.

If it is now troublesome then flexi mobile minutes maybe your answer for reliable calls.
Hi,
By Skype to phone - I mean using Skype on a PC to call a real phone number in another country.
To do this you buy credit and then pay to call real phone numbers at very low call rates.
It's this service that does not work in the UAE.
Skype to skype used to work really well - this has become hit and miss recently.
Cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Hi,
By Skype to phone - I mean using Skype on a PC to call a real phone number in another country.
To do this you buy credit and then pay to call real phone numbers at very low call rates.
It's this service that does not work in the UAE.
Skype to skype used to work really well - this has become hit and miss recently.
Cheers
Steve
I fully get what you mean about Skype to phone, I've subscribed for years. I've just made a test call to my son in London on his mobile and it was fine, I spoke to him in a 10 min call earlier this morning, likewise fine. It's clearly hit and miss.

Just to also add that I have a Skype in number and that seems to work well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts