Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've only recently began researching what I need to do to be able to stay in France for longer than the 90 days. It is all quite overwhelming. My partner has been offered a job there and will be getting a long stay visa for themselves. I must get my own though and I'm not sure which will be the best option. My partner's job lasts for 8 months and I'm trying to stay a majority of the time. I am planning on working there as well, but I'm also a bit lost in that realm as well. Any information or experiences help.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
I am planning on working there as well, but I'm also a bit lost in that realm as well. Any information or experiences help.

Thank you.
How do you plan to work? Are you intending to find a job in France or do you want to keep working remotely for your US employer?

Also, I am guessing marriage is not an option?

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
If you are planning on working, then you really ought to get some sort of visa that allows that. (Though as ALKB mentions, that's definitely a "vie privée et familiale" which means getting married.)

Otherwise, your options are basically getting an employer sponsored work visa (but that requires that you get your job in France first), or qualifying for some sort of "entrepreneurial" visa (like a passeport talent) if you plan on telecommuting back to a job in the States. Theoretically it would be possible for your US employer to establish itself as having a French based employee but no French premises, but that costs the employer significant $$$ in French withholding taxes and most employers aren't keen to sign up for that.

The other possibility might be to try for a student visa if you can find a program eligible for a student visa that runs more or less concurrent with your partner's assignment (and in the same area).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts