Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We are planning on moving to Melbourne soon and I have been trolling this forum and various others and trying to figure out which would be the best suburb for us to live in.

We don't want to buy a car immediately so we really need to live in a well connected burb (public transport to city and other burbs, proximity to markets, Coles, Aldi etc)
I have sort of zeroed in on Hawthorn, Prahran, Preston, Brunswick East, Thornbury, Northcote (all at varying distances from the CBD) Our budget is around 300-400$ pw. I also liked some places in St. Kilda East but not sure about the kind of neighbourhood in this suburb.

It would also really help to know the streets in these areas that are well connected and close to local markets.

Also, is it really possible to live in Melbourne without a car? The public transport seems quite sorted but would be good to have some first hand know-how from people already living there.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ramesh is right, any Zone 1 suburb should be good in terms of public transport connectivity and other amenities..

Hey all,

We are planning on moving to Melbourne soon and I have been trolling this forum and various others and trying to figure out which would be the best suburb for us to live in.

We don't want to buy a car immediately so we really need to live in a well connected burb (public transport to city and other burbs, proximity to markets, Coles, Aldi etc)
I have sort of zeroed in on Hawthorn, Prahran, Preston, Brunswick East, Thornbury, Northcote (all at varying distances from the CBD) Our budget is around 300-400$ pw. I also liked some places in St. Kilda East but not sure about the kind of neighbourhood in this suburb.

It would also really help to know the streets in these areas that are well connected and close to local markets.

Also, is it really possible to live in Melbourne without a car? The public transport seems quite sorted but would be good to have some first hand know-how from people already living there.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Obviously the further out you live, the more budget friendly. We chose to live in the CBD and pay extra, but enjoy free trams and walking distance to everything.

I'd start by looking at the tram/train map ( http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/maps/ ) then starting in work my way out checking rental prices on realestate.com.au

Have you considered Fitzroy/Carlton?

We lived in Melbourne for 8 months (currently waiting to go back) and didn't miss our car at all. The only reason we'd want a car next time is for furnishing our apartment! Our last one came furnished. I can't imagine picking up home stuff/furniture without a car and we'll be using a lot of Gumtree to get items and most is pick up only.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!!!
You can try living in the south-eastern suburbs like Carnegie, Murrumbeena, Clayton where rents are upto 400$ for a 2-bedroom house. On the northern side, upto glenroy you can live with reasonable rent. The further you go from city in North/South, more unsafe it gets to live with family. All these suburbs are well connected by public transport. Public transport in victoria is generally very good especially in CBD and suburbs. Rarely, one need car in the initial period.

I suggest that you go to realestate.com.au and search for rental houses which are nearby to the railway station. That way, you will be stay close to market area and public transport options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts